Hello from a potential newbie
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Hello from a potential newbie in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello, I am a potential first time Cadillac owner. I actively participate in many technical automobile forums on the web ...
    teking is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): EXT, SRX

Question Hello from a potential newbie

Hello,

I am a potential first time Cadillac owner. I actively participate in many technical automobile forums on the web and hope to do so here as well.

Question .... My wife currently has an Avalanche that we will be replacing with an EXT. We have the oportunity to purchase a used 2003 with 660 miles instead of a new 2004 ..... what are the differences between 2003 and 2004.

Very much thanks in advance.

Tom King
    Geneva FL

BMW 850CI
    Chevy Avalanche
    Jeep M715
    Jeep Grans Wagoneer
    Harley SoftTail

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

99 SKALAID is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Hello from a potential newbie

i think the 03 has the cabin filter and the 04 doesnt :coolgleam

I also heard the steering wheel emblem is different

Bear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade EXT

Welcome (like I'm a long time member)!! I did the exact same thing (although mine was a new 03) trading in the Avalanche 02. As for the differences.. Some cosmetic (not sure I noticed looking at both) some not. First, the 2004 has a tire pressure monitor feature. Add to that the rear seat heaters and the last thing I could find was the towing package was standard. These might be nice to have, but not enough to make me spend the several thousand difference between the 2. They dropped over 15k off of list, makes the choice easy.

If you haven't seen my post concerning the console lid, let me tell you some things that have changed from the 02 Av and EXT. First, no cabin air filter (which here in the NC springtime kept the yellow pine pollen out!). No hood lamp, no vanity slider for the light levels, and as you can see from the other post, less storage in the console (mainly in the lid). Compared with a Z71 Av, the city mileage is better, highway a little less. It will run on low grade gas (don't push it) but really likes hightest.

On the plus side, the ride is so much better. HID headlights are VERY bright. The added power allows greater acceleration. Onboard steering controls for the radio, computer and on-star are a nice feature. The parking assist is so nice since both of these trucks lack much view of the rear. Mine also seems to not have the sunroof pressure problem (forcing you to open a window below 45mph or risk having your ears blown out!) is not present on the EXT. The cabin also seems a little quieter, might just be the tires, but I doubt it. It is still a truck, so some noise is expected.

Thanks Bear that is what I was looking for. We also are moving out of a 2002 Z71 AV. I was actually glad to hear the milage was BETTER in town than in the Z71. Also interested in your statement that "it will run on low grade gas but don't push it". Could you elaborate? Gas will probably cresting $2.00/gal this summer, and I don't relish paying almost $70.00 for a tank of gas. Especially since I run through one every 5-6 days.

Bear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by teking
    Thanks Bear that is what I was looking for. We also are moving out of a 2002 Z71 AV. I was actually glad to hear the milage was BETTER in town than in the Z71. Also interested in your statement that "it will run on low grade gas but don't push it". Could you elaborate? Gas will probably cresting $2.00/gal this summer, and I don't relish paying almost $70.00 for a tank of gas. Especially since I run through one every 5-6 days.
    As for the mileage, mine has changed from 11.9 to 12.8 with the drive back and forth to work. I know the EXT is listed lower on the sticker than an AV but for some reason for me the AV didn't do as well. As for not pushing it with 87, if you accelerate hard expect a little (maybe even a lot!)pinging. You might also suffer from this if you are driving in a hilly area. I haven't tried 89 (midgrade), might be a little less prone to pinging.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.