Painting White Diamond??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Painting White Diamond?? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; ok so i go in the garage to work on my truck and see there is a chip on the ...
    TheCaddyKidd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT

Painting White Diamond??

ok so i go in the garage to work on my truck and see there is a chip on the door.. by the chip are some light scratches and some smudging like someone rubbed up against it with something.. anyway i am very anal and this chip is really annoying me.. and the worst part is i cant even tell who did it.. anyway.. i was to have it painted but i know that white diamond is the hardest color to match.. my dad did my grille but you tell the paint is off alittle.. wondering if i should even bother having it painted or just have it touched up.. i really dont want the door to not match... anyone know what the best route would be to go? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Benjamin Simon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)

Re: Painting Whie Diamond??

You might need to ask the caddy dealership for help on this one. When you paint white dia, it is a 2 step process. Most shops have no idea how to do that.

6.0 Litre is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Actually it is a 3 step process, base, pearl, and clear. Though this paint is hard to match it can be done, "depending" on the shop. I had two different items sprayed at different times (2004 White Lighting color) and they matched with no flaws, by the same shop. Being that it is factory paint I think the pressure of how the paint comes out has something to do with the shops compressors (output). I maybe wrong but I know pearl paint is one of the hardest to match.

I'd say take to a paint shop that has a history of doing candy paint and pearl paint jobs - those lowrider guys might be able to do it. They did mine. hope this helps in someway.

boatmanea is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): White diamond '04 Escalade AWD

I am also very meticulous and detail oriented... I bought 2 touch-up bottles from the dealer - one of the white base and one of the pearlescent. It works pretty well. Unless it's in direct sunlight, you can't see small scratch and chip touchups. The only reason I notice them, is because I know where they are.

-E

05 Cadillac Escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None - 2007 Range Rover

As stated, it is a three step process that includes blending. The shop that does the painting will need to also blend the original paint around the fresh paint to make it look right. I had minor hurricane damage last year on my 2005 White Diamond and I had the dealership repaint a small section on my Escalade. They had to do it twice because the first time didn't match correctly. It eventually came out perfectly and I can't even tell the difference. See if your local dealership can do it.

Thanks.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I have seen some very good touch ups where doors or different panels were repainted, and I have also seen my share of poor painting too. It's a hard color to match correctly, but can be done.

amtrucker22 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade - 06 GTO

I know how you feel. I am very picky with my Caddy. I just had my front end painted after a wreck she was in. I asked a friend of mine who is a insurance adjuster, which shop was the best in town. Needless to say they did a great job and I was thoroughly impressed. If you have an independent insurance company you may want to ask them. Good luck!

Paul

NightHawk150 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Pearl White is one of the hardest colors to paint. It is three stage color (base, pearl, and clearcoat) and if you mess up, even if it's just something small, you have to start all over again cause with this color, the word touch-up does not exsist. I'm thinking you're pretty much gonna have to repaint the whole door if you want it done properply, and even then, you're gonna have to be very careful just to make it match the rest of the truck.

05 Cadillac Escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None - 2007 Range Rover

Quote Originally Posted by NightHawk150 View Post
    Pearl White is one of the hardest colors to paint. It is three stage color (base, pearl, and clearcoat) and if you mess up, even if it's just something small, you have to start all over again cause with this color, the word touch-up does not exsist. I'm thinking you're pretty much gonna have to repaint the whole door if you want it done properply, and even then, you're gonna have to be very careful just to make it match the rest of the truck.
    That is what happened when my dealership was repainting part of my driver door from hurricane damage. They messed up in one of the three stages and had to start over again. It was basically a waste of a day and more time away from my Escalade for me. It does look perfect now as I said before. You would never know it was repainted.

Thanks.

DKR
    DKR is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Painting White Diamond??

??? ok then I take it that when it comes to white diamond paint a respray is not an option
    I have 05 EXT white diamond and I want a deeper shine and some nicks and cuts covered ???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.