Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 53 replies 33 participants last post by  MDecker 
#1 ·
So I drive an 05 EXT on 24s... and someone called me and told me the car I drive is unprofessional and they wouldnt let me sell their house. Is that rediculous or is it just me? What does my car have anything to do with my professionalism... I'm always in slacks and a dress shirt and very courteous to all my customers. Anybody else have this problem? In a way I'm kinda glad i'm not selling their house because if they are this anal now... imagine after i start working for them. So mad!!!!

#30 ·
Administrator said:
I think anyone here who refers to a "crib" as their home would be delighted to have a real estate agent with 45 inch rims. However, those who only know of a crib being something you put a baby in would feel otherwise. :)
Just because someone drives a Escalade or uses words like crib to describe a house doesn't mean that they are not successful in their career and I think it shows more personality and a innovative way of thinking than the same old good ol boys club philosophy. I know it's intimidating to some but adding personality and describe it as unprofessional is a little prejudice I think. Also just having a little fun on the forum thats all.

#33 ·
It's not your TRUCK!

It's not the car more than your age.

If a young guy pulls up in anything flashy BMW, Escalade, Benz etc.
It attracts negativity. Some people can't believe that a young person could own such a car at that age. I've had a Lexus and now and Escalade with 24's and I feel that vibe all the time.

Trust me , if some 55yr old guy pulled up in an escalade on 24's they would think he's the "cool old guy" not a drug dealer or a flashy kid.

And to totally KEEP IT REAL, you Race matters. Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, same car different reactions.

#34 ·
Bigplay said:
Just because someone drives a Escalade or uses words like crib to describe a house doesn't mean that they are not successful in their career and I think it shows more personality and a innovative way of thinking than the same old good ol boys club philosophy. I know it's intimidating to some but adding personality and describe it as unprofessional is a little prejudice I think. Also just having a little fun on the forum thats all.
I know where you're coming from.. The problem is, the people we're discussing here don't.. So it might be a good idea to sit them down and explain to them, beforehand, that large rims and bling bling don't mean anything negative.. Or, if you'd rather skip all that and just make the darn sale, leave the blingity bling at home. :thepan:

#37 · (Edited)
Well, being in the mortgage business and seeing it from both ends, what a lot of you "younger" types have to realize is that our generation has that "punk" attitude affixed to it if that makes sense (and I'm only 24 btw). Most people will look at an agent or broker who pulls up in something flashy as someone who makes too much money, especially a younger person, again if that makes sense. Which is funny b/c something like an S600 cost way, way more yet projects professionalism on a totally different level.

Same reason I hate getting dressed up all day, I've even asked borrowers including ones who made 7 figures, and they would all say the same thing. They felt that somebody in my position all dressed up, Rolex or whatever blinging (god I hate that term lol) etc was trying to make them feel as if they were above them. Luckily I have a great personality and usually click anyway lol. I'd rather be in nice jeans and shirt all day, just me, feel more comfortable that way.

But it depends, I know agents that will drive their Murci, or Bentley to show a house with no problem b/c of the image they have in the area. And what's funny is they usually aren't dressed up, maybe decent slacks and a regular polo t-shirt if that, but that's the South FL "personality".

Soemthing like the Escalade on 24's put's the picture of rap videos, mtv whatever in their mind. Sounds stupid, but ask anybody in the industry and they'll tell you similar. I know one guy who had a Navigator completley modded, and he received negative reactions towards it. Bought a 545 instead and everything was fine. The markets the last couple years allowed anybody with a brain to make a ton of money in real estate or mortgages, and now us "good guys" have to deal with the bad rep now among all the other bad dealings. Option Arm program was a big fiasco, and people are suiing now. A lot were led to believe the minimum pmt was fixed for 30 years, the APR doesn't affect anything, blah blah, take a guy doing those like crazy on multi million dollar loans and banging out 10-20 loans a month with them charging 5 points and your talking some serious cash.

#39 ·
Wow so many real estate agents on the board. I'm a loan agent in the Bay Area and I see a lot of real estate agents driving high end cars but it is true most of them are not fixed up. My friend is a wholseale lender and he has 8 cars Ferrari F355 Spider lowered with Hre wheels, 2005 SL 500, 2006 CLS500 with 20" Hre wheels, 2004 E55 with Brabus wheels, 2003 Gt2 with BBS wheels, 2004 Gt3 with BBS wheels, 1997 Twin Turbo with Hre wheels, and a 2005 Denali XL. The only car he drives to visit clients is his Denali because he says if you look like you have to much money people don't always want to give you business. I think people have different opinions, some people say if you look like you have no money people don't want to give you business either. I think that it really has to do with the market you are doing business in and the kind of clients you cater to.

Any realtors on the board, in California need a good loan agent p.m. me so I can tell you what kind of programs I have. I have very good programs for people with fico scores from 800 down to 500.:thumbsup:

#40 ·
I dont have an escalde, but i just bought a CTS. I currently work at a high school and for Probation part time. Its funny because all the kids at both jobs will ask me if im going to get "Dubs" or "rims"... Im planning on getting 18s and im still iffy about that... My boss took a look at my car and said " wow nice rims" (i currently have 16s that look like hub caps).Cmon now... No one older has asked me if im getting rims... So i guess my point is, I guess its just looked as something that "younger" people do whether we like it or not....... This lady i work with has a sequoya* with some chrome 20's and i asked her about it...She said, " Its silly but my husband wanted some rims. He said that its for my younger boys but i know its for him".... I asked her what was wrong with her husband wanting rims and she said, " Im getting close to 50, its more for younger people like yourself, rey" So yea.... Im still stuck

#41 · (Edited)
I'm a realtor myself and I drive my 96 4 dr stock Acura Integra when meeting with cilents. I like to give off the impression that I'm a hard worker and that I spend my money on investment properties, not cars. I only bring out the Lade when I go to the office to take care of things, I like motivating some of the new recruits I bring in. Anyways, I'm pretty young myself and giving off professional impression is what will make or break you. I can keep it real with my close friends, but to others, you got to keep it professional... too many haters out there, just avoid the trouble and do what it takes for people to take you seriously. I guess like many have said, people don't want you to slang them a property, they want you to sell them one.

#42 ·
The ext is all i got. I put up open house signs every weekend (the realtors in here understand me) cant do that in 4 dr sedans. The ext is perfect for it. Take off the 3rd piece and just take the signs out of the bed. What car can do that? I drive to riverside from OC every other day for business and the EXT is safe compared to a small MB or something. Safety is another issue. I'm not going to buy another car just because those people dont like my car. If they want to judge me... they can. I just wanted to vent and I see a lot of people have the same problem. I'm not changing so I might lose some business but whats the point of makin money if i cant do what i want with it.

#44 ·
My Uncle is an attorney. He drives in to court on a Harley blasting WBAB (Long Island Rock Station). He has a big beard and kinda longish hair for a lawyer. He's in his 40s. He's a party animal. He loses a lot of business because that's just the way he wants to be. He does well enough that it doesn't bother him but, for a lawyer, he could be doing much better..

It's not just Escalades, gold teeth and spinning 24s. It's the way people portray you no matter who you are. Wise up and do the right thing - or don't. I won't lose any sleep over it. :p

#47 ·
vietfob714 said:
The ext is all i got. I put up open house signs every weekend (the realtors in here understand me) cant do that in 4 dr sedans. The ext is perfect for it. Take off the 3rd piece and just take the signs out of the bed. What car can do that? I drive to riverside from OC every other day for business and the EXT is safe compared to a small MB or something. Safety is another issue. I'm not going to buy another car just because those people dont like my car. If they want to judge me... they can. I just wanted to vent and I see a lot of people have the same problem. I'm not changing so I might lose some business but whats the point of makin money if i cant do what i want with it.
Thats not true, they should be able to fit in the trunks of most cars. I had my moms Lexus for an open house and I had the signs all in the trunk with zero problems.

But I dont blame you for not wanting to get another car for work, I wouldnt and I wont do it!

#49 · (Edited)
I work for my dads real estate company and when I pull into the parking lot I've had a couple things happen. I've had some people walk in and look at it and ask me some things about the wheels, and I've had some people ask if it's really mine since I'm only 18 :rolleyes:

I'm told by other agents I work with that it's a good thing I have it. It makes me look like I'm doing good for myself or whatever

#50 ·
Just remember no matter what kind of car you drive, be yourself not the person you perceive. And no "big hat, no catle". It's the "money in pocket" not the "money around the neck". Have some class.

I see some gentleman driving the best car in the world, but when he walk out, you have respect for him. And I see some people walk out the car, you just want to say "trash".

#51 ·
I am 34, drive an '03 EXT (stock 17's) and run the highest end and highest profile property in my company's entire portfolio. I am setting the standard. If others do not like it, they need to get with the program. I am obviously doing something right. BTW, did I mention the company I work for is the largest commercial and industrial REIT in the nation.................:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.