Rim help please!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Rim help please! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey guys, new here! Just got my 2003 Escalade (black). I want to get some rims and keep my stock ...
    Steelman656 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Rim help please!

Hey guys, new here!
    Just got my 2003 Escalade (black). I want to get some rims and keep my stock suspension. I have a few questions. What is the bolt pattern? Whats the best size rim and tire combo to get? Also, I am besides myself as to what kind of rims I want to get. You guys have any suggestions? Could you post some pics of you Escalades with rims? Thanks for all your help guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Fuquan7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Rim help please!

i have 22's and i thn that is the best size maybe you might want to go bigger but i had 24's and the ride sucked so went down to 22's

del2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

:coolgleam

I used a 20" wheels with 275/55/20 or you can use 275/45/20. I didn't want to change the feel of the stock wheels, only slight change in feel overall. You will need a 6 bolt pattern 6 x 5.5.

Del

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/487038

clickart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you go with 22" you might want to get 305/40/22 tires because its the same height as your old tires. I like Giovanna, MOMO, and Lexani rims style. Go to www.superbuytires.com and check out the gallary section for Cadillac Escalade.

WydOpen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I've got 22's and think they are fine. del2 is right about the bolt pattern...6 lug on 5.5" pattern. I went with 305/45R22's. Pictured are Momo Storms.
    Attached Images

Steelman656 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thanks for all ur responses! very helpful. I think i will go with 22's. I dont want to go any bigger because i live in minnesota and we have alot of pot holes! What about if i pull my boat? Is there going to be any problem with the extra weight and the rims?

sirving04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yeah 24's is the way to go .........lol 26 is coming soon but with out air bag the ride suck with big rims but look nice so 22's is go for you i have 24's giovanne and dont get cheap rism they bend get a good name and toya miduim profiel tires with a double wall for loads of pressure,,,,,,,,
    Attached Images

sureone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I also live in MN and just bought an escalade. I am looking to do some 22's also. I live in st. paul, let me know if you find a good local conection. I like dealing locally in case of problems. I am thinking about a new grill also. I put an auto start and alarm on mine as my old ride had it and I have become spoiled.

you can contact me at sherwin42@msn.com

Spittin Game is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E

I have some 22" Davins (Revolution Series (RS)) rims and Kuhmo Ecsta tires that were only on for 1 week. I'll make you a smokin deal on them, they retail for over $3,000 per wheel. Email me at RatedGSXR@msn.com or AIM at "Davins r spinnin"
    Attached Images

R&D
    R&D is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Post Re: Rim help please!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman656
    Hey guys, new here!
    Just got my 2003 Escalade (black). I want to get some rims and keep my stock suspension. I have a few questions. What is the bolt pattern? Whats the best size rim and tire combo to get? Also, I am besides myself as to what kind of rims I want to get. You guys have any suggestions? Could you post some pics of you Escalades with rims? Thanks for all your help guys!
    Hey Steelman,

Looks like your bolt pattern question has been answered, so we won't go there.

"...best size, rim and tire combo...?" For starters, understand that "best" is subjective. What is best for one person can be "worst" for another. Some people are into looks and style with little or no regard for function and others will place function, driveablility and reliability as a priority. Then you have those that try to find the middle ground.

Let's start with some not so well known facts. First, any rim/tire larger than 20" will void the factory warranty when it comes to brakes and suspension. In fact, 20" rims are even in question, but since the ESV has a Platinum Package that includes, among other items, 20" rims, it's fairly safe to assume 20"ers will be covered. However, this warranty issue is up to your dealer's discretion - some dealers may stick to the book and not be flexible on this issue while others might be more easy going. It might be a good idea to ask your dealer if this concerns you. Keep in mind though, that they could change their mind even after they give you an answer.

Larger diameter rims (22", 23", 24") generally will require lower profile tires in order to maintain a close to stock overall diameter. This means that you will have less sidewall and that equals a rougher ride. The larger diameter the rim, the shorter the sidewall. Wider tires are really cool looking but will generally be noisier, reduce gas mileage and hydroplane easier, but they will last longer. 305s will generally rub on Escalades, Tahoes and Yukons some where at some point in the travel stroke. When you combine wide tires with short sidewalls, you will get more "tracking". That's when your car has a tendency to follow cracks or lines or ridges in the road. Some people call it "hunting". This can be very irritating to some people. Different tire designs and manufacturers can reduce this with a well engineered tire, but the fact remains that wide, low profile tires have a propensity for this. There are other reasons why wide rims cause this, but we don't have time to get into that here.

Now, some practical info: obviously, as you go up in diameter, everything becomes more expensive. But, there's more. As you go up, you have fewer choices. 20" rims have quite a large selection of tire brands and sizes. 22" have fewer, and 23" and larger only have a couple.

I'm not sure how much you know about tire sizing, so forgive me if you already know this info. Example: stock tire size, P265/70R17
    P = Passenger, LT= Light Truck
    265 = width in millimeters, 265mm
    70 = aspect ratio, use this to determine the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width, 265mm x 70%(.70) = 185.5mm
    R = radial tire
    17 = wheel/rim diameter IN INCHES (go figure!! )
    Now, if you want to convert all measurements to inches, the conversion facter is 25.4 mm per inch.
    Speed rating H,V,Y,Z,etc.= you can ignore these - all of the tires for these rim sizes have high speed ratings, much higher than an Escalade will go.

Now, keep in mind that this tire sizing system is not exact. Different brands of the same advertised size can actually be slightly different in actual size, but, hey, it's the best we (they?) can do.

305/40R22 are a very popular (and one of the few) size available for 22" rims. Most of the people I have talked to, and read from, have experienced some rubbing, anywhere from major to minor. I've heard that 305/45R22 is an available size, but that would cause even more rubbing because it is a larger tire. I just found out that there is a 285/45R22 available, which is the size I am putting on my Escalade.

Now, for my opinion. I originally wanted 20" rims for a few reasons. I didn't want the "pimpish" (is that a real word?) look, I wanted a large selection of tires just in case I wanted to make a change somewhere down the read, and no way did I want any rubbing. I'm one of those "form follows function" guys. Also, the 305/40 tires just look out of balance to me - all rim and no tire. But I definitely wanted a bolder look than the (now) wimpy look of the stock rims. Also, a friend a mine has 305/40s and his Escalade definitely hunts on many roads. That's the feel you get from a '60s tuna boat with worn out ball joints and that's NOT what I want from a $55K+ Caddy.

Well, 2 things happened. One, my wife saw the 22s and absolutely loved them (happy wife, happy life!), and then I found the 285/45s. These tires actually have a slightly taller sidewall than the 305/40s. This was great for me because the 305/40s are actually smaller in diameter than the stock tires and that causes more of the wheel well to show which added to my view of being "out of balance" (they will also cause your speedo to read high). And the 285/45s are narrower which should eliminate any rub and provide a better ride. Another thing is, in my area, with all of the 22s and 23s and 24s around, it diminishes how pimpy the 22s look. It's amazing how this "big rim revolution" (pun intended!) has caught fire so rapidly.

Now, here are some really cool resurces:
    www.tirerack.com This is a really cool site that lets you input your make, model and year, and then it will show you 20 - 30 different rims that will fit your vehicle. Then you can see them on the vehicle. And you can pick your car color - way cool! Make sure you pick Cadillac Trucks.
    www.selecttire.com This is another site that lets you input your vehicle and look at rims that match. But I don't think it shows them on the vehicle.
    www.rimstop.com This site also has the ability to show you rims on your vehicle but I couldn't get it to work right and it didn't narrow down what would fit first. But if you want to look at rims by price, wow, this is the place.
    www.gmpartsdirect.com This is a site that sells rims, and other stuff, directly to GM dealers. The rims here cannot be purchased at a non-GM retail outlet, but they will sell directly to you. There is some affiliation with GM but I'm not sure exactly what it is. About half, or more, of the rims I have seen at the dealers (on Escalades) are from this source, so my assumption is that the quality is high. From the home page click on wheels near the top and then, on the next page, pick SS2 wheel packages.

I must say, the selection of rims can be averwhelming, there are soooo many to choose form. We looked for weeks. We ended up going with the 22" Viotti rims from GM Parts Direct. I'll post some pics when I get our SUV back. It's in getting Perma Plate protection put on it.

I hope you find this helpful!

Ciao!

R&D

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.