Cadillac Owners Forum banner
899 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hcvone 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to start my own detail washing this weekend. This will be the first time I actually do it myself. I am curious as to where all the hard to reach / trouble spots are when cleaning the car. I have a 2000 if that helps. I know off hand I need to pay attention to door jams, running boards (top and bottom), wheel wells, under the hood, and behind the licsense plate, but where else?

Thanks!

#3 ·
when I wash my lade, i never use a ladder, but thats just me. :thumbsup:

I usually wear sandals, so when its time to wash the top, I take off my sandals, and open up the doors, and stand on the seats. I'm 5'6", but i can reach it perfectly. :thumbsup:

Then I stand on the rear bumper and get the back. Works for me.

#4 ·
I have a 4 foot step stool that is perfect for the roof. Use cotton wash mitts, not sponges, they can scratch, the sponges are fine for the wheels but not the paint. If the cars/trucks are real dirty use 2 buckets, one with wash, one with clean water to rinse the wash mitt before putting it back into the bucket with car wash, this will cut down on any chance of scratching the finish from a dirty wash mitt.

#7 ·
Carl, as a pro, or former pro detailer, I would be interested in your opinion.

I've used a brush for years now, after reading a couple of articles singing its praises. It seemed to make sense; a much lower chance that the bristles would hold a piece of grit against the finish, and a much greater chance that any grit would fall quickly from the brush when stuck back in the bucket to pick up another load of soapy water.

I'm currently using a Meguire's brush that also has about a two foot handle on it which makes for a way faster wash because of the added reach and leverage of the handle. I can reach the whole bed covers (EXT) and front center of the hood while standing on the ground, and don't have to bend over to wash the lower half of the vehicle.

I imagine this is one of those "you say potato" issues like so many other product preferences...?

David

#8 ·
David, we used horse hair brushes at our shops, I personally like the cotton mitts, it more banging the brush off the paint or dropping the brush on the finsh that can cause problems, I have see Meguiar's brushes but never used them, nor do I know what they are made of. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.