Pop or Ping?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Pop or Ping? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Anyone still having a problem with their 2003 Escalade making a pinging or popping noise? I would love to get ...
    tgaz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Pop or Ping?

Anyone still having a problem with their 2003 Escalade making a pinging or popping noise? I would love to get in touch with you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

theal36 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Pop or Ping?

Quote Originally Posted by tgaz
    Anyone still having a problem with their 2003 Escalade making a pinging or popping noise? I would love to get in touch with you!
    I am having a similar problem with my 2004 Escalade. Do you know why it makes the noise or are you trying to find out why?

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

No noises here, I will get some "cooling" noises from the plastic center cap of the wheel, but it has to be pretty quite to here that

tgaz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

theal..they are having problems with 2002-2004 Escalades with the ping noise. They don't know why and as of right now, can't fix it. I'm working on a solution and would love to stay in contact with you. Have you taken it to get checked out yet?

theal36 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm due for service so I'll take it in this weekend or next and I'll ask about it.

WydOpen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Question Re: Pop or Ping?

Could you elaborate on this pop/ping noise? Is it engine, drivetrain, or suspension related?

dph4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry Re: Pop or Ping?

My wife annd I recently purchased a 2004 Escalade. We've been having the same problem with popping & pinging sounds coming from the exhaust system. The service manager said that it is due to the cooling process of the exhaust system and that the engineers are currently working on it. We've taken the car in 3 times for this as well as called the toll free customer service in efforts of getting it replaced. There is a technical service bulletin identifying this problem.
    Has anyone had any success in getting this problem fixed? Has anyone consulted any legal authorities concerning lemon law regulations for replacing their vehicle?
    What's the latest on newer cars having the same type of problem?

SNaray8442 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My Lincoln towncar does the same thing. basically, its just the metal cooling off, which is making it contract. Really no adverse side effects, its a pretty common occurance on a lot of cars.

jcmendo01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I bought an 04 escalade back in dec 03 and had the same problem. After a couple of months I just got used to it. On Feb 04 I got a magnaflow exhaust system and noticed that there was no popping or ping noise coming from under my car. I figured that it was the exhaust system cooling down.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Lemon Law for the heating and cooling of the exhust? Our SL55 and M5 make noises when "cooling" after a good drive, I have Corsa exhaust maybe that is why I do not hear it on the Escalade

dnyce617 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mine went away with the Corsa too. From what I understand it's a heat shield on the stock exhaust.

termn8r is offline Cadillac Owners Member

See and hear my post. Read the warranty manual, you have to go through Better Business Bureau mediation (non binding). Diferent states have different lemon laws and they think a rattle is not a big problem. Who cares if it's a $60,000 vehicle? If it was a Kia, that would be a different story with a completely different set of expectations. You can file a complaint with the BBB online, and you will get Cadillac's attention. You will need every piece of paper about the car that you have. Luckily, my wife files everything. I filed a complaint, their first offer was absurd, but just prior to mediation they called and made another offer we are considering (not a total buyback). I'll post when all is said and done.

Good luck

My post about the noise

Samboosa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think we're talking about 2 different problems here.

termn8r is having a serious problem with his exhaust. While tgaz is having the normal popping sound any car would have when cooling down.

I had this popping sound in EVERY car I've owned. It is 100% normal. Some cars make it even when idle.

OCESCALADE is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I have the poping noise of the exhaust and the stock wheel covers pop as well. I know its a cooling down and is a normal thing. It is sometimes loud but only hear it when i get out of car. Doesn't bother me and it is starting to act up less and less as i now have about 9k on the clock.

ALLeyez187onME is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Most Stock exhausts are poorly made, except for an exception to few. That means that the metal in the exhaust system, will expand and contract as it heats and as it cools. Occasionally make that sound, it is normal if its coming from the exhaust.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.