Pop or Ping? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Pop or Ping? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Our '04 Suburban's exhaust (same issue in every big GM ute) pops/pings loudly while the truck is cooling off (normal ...
    caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Re: Pop or Ping?

Our '04 Suburban's exhaust (same issue in every big GM ute) pops/pings loudly while the truck is cooling off (normal though), but also while out driving--this seems to be the main thing people are complaining about. Cruising on the highway and then stop at a toll booth or something and it sounds like you're in the middle of a drive by. This is while the truck's still running, so it's very annoying sometimes....and not an issue our previous mouse-like '02 Avalanche ever had.

Apparenly it's an issue with condensation getting in between the metal layers of the muffler and as it heats up, the moisture somehow makes it pop pretty loudly, like a popcorn popper. It's been a "GM Engineers are working on it" issue for a while now, but the real problem seems to be that they just cheapened the exhaust materials on the newer models, b/c this was not a known problem in the first couple model years of the GMT-800's, to the best of my knowledge.

Only real fix is getting aftermarket exhaust pieces.

kook is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I used to have this problem on my '03 Lade, but it has completely gone away on its own. Hopefully this is the case with most people and you just have to give it time.

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by kook
    I used to have this problem on my '03 Lade, but it has completely gone away on its own. Hopefully this is the case with most people and you just have to give it time.
    Oh yeah, and forgot to mention, several owners who once had the problem have said that it seemed to get gradually better and then stop popping by slightly under 10k miles.

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

If the ping eminates from the engine under acceleration or high load (third gear-half throttle uphill) this could be a slight pre-ignition condition due to low octane fuel usage or too much timing advance. Try filling your (empty) tank with the sunoco 92 premium fuel plus add Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner to help clean up carbon deposits in the combustion chamber(every 3K miles). I notice a HUGE difference on 92 octane fuel alone!
    SS

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.