Front End Noise solved - 2004 ESV
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Front End Noise solved - 2004 ESV in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Just solved the front end noise problem with wife's '04 ESV - total rebuild of front differential under factory warranty ...
    bmacwhi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Front End Noise solved - 2004 ESV

Just solved the front end noise problem with wife's '04 ESV - total rebuild of front differential under factory warranty at only 15K miles. All bearings defective from factory. Dealer couldn't "hear" the noise at first, took a test drive and pointed it out. If yours is making from end grinding sounds, check it out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Digital Vidiot is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Front End Noise solved - 2004 ESV

I just had the same done to my 04 with 30K miles. Did they say it was defective bearings from the factory? Is that a known problem? I ask because I was starting to question (in my own mind) how aggressively the previous owner might have driven it. I bought it when it had around 27K miles. They also replaced the tie rods.

In any case, glad the warranty covered it. I also had a slight "clicking" feel/sound in the sterring column fixed - that is an issue that I was told there is a GM service bulleting about, and the service manager knew what I was talking about as soon as I started to describe it. They fix it by applying some GM lube kit to the intermediate steering shaft.

Falkolade is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade, 2004 Cts-V, 2006 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by bmacwhi
    Just solved the front end noise problem with wife's '04 ESV - total rebuild of front differential under factory warranty at only 15K miles. All bearings defective from factory. Dealer couldn't "hear" the noise at first, took a test drive and pointed it out. If yours is making from end grinding sounds, check it out.
    I had that exact same problem, they also re-packed the front wheel bearings which is the same thing as yours... and they did something with the intermediate steering shaft... or something like that... plus i too had to go on the "infamous" test drive to point out the noise.

Sprint97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade, Diamond white

I had the intermediate steering shaft noise in my 2003 Escalade. Mikeee (on this forum) described my noise and the solution. He also said the lube kit could be purchased at GM. I bought a kit at the local Cadillac dealer and lubed it myself. You need a 15mm socket and ratchet and complete instructions are in the kit. My son in law has a GMC that had the problem and the dealer said it was a recall and installed a new intermediate shaft.

David Sorg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 EXT

Heard an annoying whine in my (then) new '05; thought it might be normal till I drove another '05 which was blissfully silent. Service dept. couldn't really hear it, but rebuilt front diff. Noise still there. Fortunately the service dept. guys are friends, so they took my word for the noise and replaced the front diff. Noise gone! What a great difference...

dpz06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have an 03 and am experiencing the same problems......I just had mine lowered 2" 3". it was making the noise before the drop though, so will this void the warranty even though it has no effect on the diff?

EXTadic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Ext (sable black) and 1966 chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by bmacwhi
    Had the front diff replaced on my 04 ext w/30k mi. When I picked it up i noticed a stack of at least 20 bad ones lined up to go to the rebuilder. What that tells me is that I would be an idiot to own one of these trucks without some kind of warrantee that covers driveline. I'll bet I have another one done before the factory warrantee expires.

05 Cadillac Escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None - 2007 Range Rover

Is this wind noise or is it an actual whistle noise. I notice some wind noise when I drive on the highway and at higher speeds. Is this the same problem?

Thanks.

Digital Vidiot is offline Cadillac Owners Member

For me, it was a kind of groaning sound coming from the front driver side wheel area, and was most noticable when accelerating from a stop, and when decellerating to a stop. If I let off of the gas, the sound seemed to stop, or at least was much less.

This is a definate front differential noise that was solved by total rebuild of diff under warranty. Of course, test driving technician couldn't hear anything (this always happens) until I had the Service Director drive the vehicle and I pointed out the noise. He heard it. To avoid the run around of "we didn't hear anything unusual" take the Service Director for a ride and don't take him back to the dealership until he "hears" the problem. Total fix under warranty.

beanman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Vidiot
    For me, it was a kind of groaning sound coming from the front driver side wheel area, and was most noticable when accelerating from a stop, and when decellerating to a stop. If I let off of the gas, the sound seemed to stop, or at least was much less.
    This is EXACTLY how I would describe my 03 ESV. Service mgr. is well aware of the issue and they will be rebuilding the front diff next Tuesday (under warranty). Hopefully the rebuild works.

beanman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well, the dealer said they replaced the bearings in the front diff, but I still notice the "groaning" noise when accelerating.

Isn't some noise from the front end normal since it is AWD?

No noise is normal noise from the front end. These Lades are silky smooth and quiet when operating correctly. Tell them to keep looking.

Starpro is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Wonder if my noise is the same???

I just purchased an 03 Lade and I hear a sort of popping noise in the front right tire area? My husband thinks I'm crazy because he has a little hearing loss and swears it is nothing, but I hear like an eagle and I swear it is a noise like when you wind something up really tight and it breaks. I have no idea what a differential is, but since I've owned this car all of 3 days I'll take it back and request the dealership fix the problem. It has only 15K miles on it. I'd appreciate any help to determine if this is the same problem. I traded in an Avalon that had a right front problem - seemed like the shock but mechanics wouldn't say anything was wrong? Man - I could use your alls expert advise!!! Thanks!

TRASHAULER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

thanks for the info, mine was doing the same thing at 32000... i told the tech about the front diff & he had seen alot of them go bad. they fixed it under warrenty & gave me an 06 to drive.. life is good again!!!

jeff

www.tintmyride.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.