Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New owner: 2006 Escalade: Tire Chains Questions

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  the cadillac man 
#1 ·
Good morning,
I am a new owner of a 2006 Escalade that I just recently purchased.
I have a question on tire chains.

The wheels/tires my truck comes with are as follows:
YOKOHAMA 285-45 R22 (11v4).

I was reading the owner's manual on Tire Chains and it appears
that the owner's manual is stating not to use tire chains? Not sure
but looks that way.

1. What tire chains do you folks use?
2. Should the chains go on the rear wheels since it is RWD?
3. Should I only use 2 chains or all 4?

Thank you

#5 ·
Some places require them, 4wd or not. CA is one of those places where you can be ticketed for not having chains in the vehicle if they are ever required.

I think every vehicle nowadays comes with that generic warning. They all have plastic bodywork now along the wheel wells or full wheel wells with large wheels underneath.

When I lived in CA I remember buying tire cables (versus chains) that hug the tire much more tightly and won't fling off the tire like chains can. I didn't have the Escalade back then so I don't know about using them on one of these trucks but with stock wheels it definitely looks like there's enough clearance for them.

#8 ·
Im in cali the first chain "defcon" if you will.. is chains must be used on the drive axle on a 2wd vehicle.. "defcon 2" chains must be used on all vehicles unless the awd vehicle has tires with snow provisions but still must carry them... "defcon 3" is that all vehicles need chains regardless of 2wd or awd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.