Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What is the secret......

4K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Nice Ride 
#1 ·
to bleeding the brakes on a 2005 ESV? I have finally installed the new brake lines and attempted to bleed the brakes. Pumping the pedal did not work. Pulling vacuum at the bleeder screws didn't work. That has always worked on other problem vehicles. What do I have to do?

#5 · (Edited)
From what i have read about this....

Tech 2 system (or Snapon as a Tech 2 replacement) will allow you to do it the "dealer" way and have it pump for you.

Otherwise a really good vacuum brake bleed kit (on the caliper) will also work.

However if you get air in the top, your likely need the Tech2 / Snapon or something similar to do it for you.

SnapOn is the reader used to diagnose my TPMS problems it can program as well, i will be testing the one i have soon (i have a reader / programmer i used to test my chairs) as want to check a few things on the TPMS sensor system.

#10 · (Edited)
The tire place i went to has once simular to this:

Seen these on eBay for about $3000-5000

I use the CN Launch stuff which doesnt look to different to this:
About $1000-2000 or so, and its touch screen (the Snap On i have seen isnt), mines in English, there an eastern company
CN Launch is cheaper as you have to buy each car type (so i bought Cadillac and will buy BMW), however others you get everything (hence way more expensive).

#12 ·
When the Tech2 came out, i am fairly sure they had expiry dates in them, be careful with this, i dont know if its still the case. That means it will work then 8 months later say you have to buy an update from the manufacture (which you wont be able to do as you dont have a dealer number). Also it will only work for the software you have (there generally not multi vehicle specific), again though ive not seen them enough to know but i am sure they are make specific with expiry dates.

Launch and Snap-On are generally for non dealer garages so you find there easier to get updates and models. I have an account with Launch so mine is always updated.

#13 ·
SFX Group said:
When the Tech2 came out, i am fairly sure they had expiry dates in them, be careful with this, i dont know if its still the case. That means it will work then 8 months later say you have to buy an update from the manufacture (which you wont be able to do as you dont have a dealer number). Also it will only work for the software you have (there generally not multi vehicle specific), again though ive not seen them enough to know but i am sure they are make specific with expiry dates. Launch and Snap-On are generally for non dealer garages so you find there easier to get updates and models. I have an account with Launch so mine is always updated.
Between the two which is cheaper and more flexible
I understand I would be limited but given I have easy access(within a half hour drive) to my local gm dealer I could have them do any software upgrades(if needed)

#14 ·
Launch would likely be the better, Tech 2 is a programmer (which you dont generally need), Snap-On would be between a Tech 2 and Launch. The Launch showed me the chair positions with a log file so i know what the motor was doing in what poision. I will know more later at the weekend when i look at the TPMS with it.

#15 ·
SFX Group said:
Launch would likely be the better, Tech 2 is a programmer (which you dont generally need), Snap-On would be between a Tech 2 and Launch. The Launch showed me the chair positions with a log file so i know what the motor was doing in what poision. I will know more later at the weekend when i look at the TPMS with it.
I may get a snap on unit as the programming feature would come in handy should I have to replace a radio or amp or something like the seat module or pcm(never know)

#18 ·
Ok that clears it up for me

Now I mainly would need it to monitor the sensors and stuff like that

I may see which is cheaper and then go from there I still like the tech-2 as my dealer knows how to work it and would be able to help if I can't figure it out and if I needed any module reprogrammed I would go to the dealer anyway as I wouldn't want to brick one(too dang pricey)

#19 ·
I unplugged the connector for the ABS pump and ran a jumper wire to it to turn it on and bleed my system after I put the new updated hard brake lines in my EXT. There is a red and black wire coming from the pump, so run your positive and negative wires accordingly and it should work.

#25 ·
Skier-24 said:
Please tell me more. Where exactly is the ABS "pump"? On the frame rail? Or under the hood? Did you leave the pump energized while bleeding by pumping the brake pedal? Or energize and deenergize and then bleed by pumping the brake pedal? Thanks
It's on the frame rail next to the pcm(driver's side) it's hard to miss as it's just below the brake booster

#26 ·
The part that six brake lines attach to? It also has a plug with a whole bundle of wires. Mine looks similar to one on Ebay, listing number 331424062532. There is also something that looks like a pump on the fender well with one brake line and a rubber hose attached to it. If there wasn't so much ice on the ground I would go out and take a look and get some pictures. Been a nasty day here.

#27 ·
Update:

I could not bleed the brakes by pumping the pedal. I tried using my MityVac vacuum pump to pull it through. That did not work either. I read about reverse bleeding but did not want to invest in an experimental pump. I looked in my garage thinking there has to be something in here I can use. I found a bottle pump I use to force oil in my boat's outdrive lower unit. The fitting fit in the front caliper after removing the bleeder screw. This also allowed me to pump the fluid in faster. It did not fit the brake fluid bottle so I had to hold the pump in place. The rear calipers are a different thread so I had to buy a barbed fitting to adapt. I did all four this way. Pumped the brake pedal a few times, and it felt good. I have put a few miles on it since then and it still feels good. The bottle pump can be bought at Wally World for about $8. This method is not in the book but it worked for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.