Suspension problems with big wheels?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Suspension problems with big wheels? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I just wonder if you put 22" or above would you get suspension problems in the future?...
    clickart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Suspension problems with big wheels?

I just wonder if you put 22" or above would you get suspension problems in the future?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV

Re: Suspension problems with big wheels?

Not really. But your ride is def. going to be harder, and your brakes will wear faster. (Due to more rotating mass)

howell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by clickart
    I just wonder if you put 22" or above would you get suspension problems in the future?
    Don't do it! Not only will you brakes wear faster, you will need more room for stops. Bigger wheels also throw off your speedometer, which throws off your odometer. I once had a Suburban and I only put 18s on it and regretted every minute of it. Don't ruin a nice caddy the same way, it deserves to be left alone.

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Plan on brakes every 15,000 miles, shocks 30K, drive yokes 30k. You gotta pay to play! Plus I drive the crap out of my Escalade.
    Quote Originally Posted by clickart

GMike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Lee's Summit MO (Near Kansas City) Go Chiefs!

Your speedometer will be fine, as long as the overall circumference of the wheel/tire combo is the same as original. I went from 265/70 R17's to 285/50 R20's. Larger wheel + lower profile tire = same overall diameter.

Regarding suspension, the key to this is to make sure the weight of the wheel/tire combination is as close to the weight (or as light), of the original wheels. My 02 escalade factory 17" wheels/tires are about 65lbs. The new 20 Boss 307 wheels with 285/50 tires are about 76lbs. Handleing in better but ride is harsher (by just a bit, not many people notice). So, don't buy fancy expensive huge chrome wheels until you know how much they weigh.

I have not noticed any difference in brake performance. However, I plan on upgrading to Stainless Steel Braded brake lines and new pads. Eventually.

Jungle George is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by GMike
    Your speedometer will be fine, as long as the overall circumference of the wheel/tire combo is the same as original. I went from 265/70 R17's to 285/50 R20's. Larger wheel + lower profile tire = same overall diameter.

Regarding suspension, the key to this is to make sure the weight of the wheel/tire combination is as close to the weight (or as light), of the original wheels. My 02 escalade factory 17" wheels/tires are about 65lbs. The new 20 Boss 307 wheels with 285/50 tires are about 76lbs. Handleing in better but ride is harsher (by just a bit, not many people notice). So, don't buy fancy expensive huge chrome wheels until you know how much they weigh.

I have not noticed any difference in brake performance. However, I plan on upgrading to Stainless Steel Braded brake lines and new pads. Eventually.
    This is the best advice I've read here, I keep telling everyone I know the same thing.

fast66 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by skides1
    Plan on brakes every 15,000 miles, shocks 30K, drive yokes 30k. You gotta pay to play! Plus I drive the crap out of my Escalade.
    What do you advise on replacing the shocks and drive yoks with? which companies would u prefer?

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Cadillac replace my drive yokes @45K and now 95k. They are binding again but I read on another forum that GM has an application specific lube now that I am going to try this week. Everyone I have talked to said to go with Comfort Bilstiens. Those who got the HD's said they rode too rough. I will be doing tose this week also. $54.00 apiece, great deal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.