Mass Air Flow Sensor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Mass Air Flow Sensor in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Got a code from check engine light p0101 mass air flow sensor would cleaning the air filter help this or ...
    jwpalmer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mass Air Flow Sensor

Got a code from check engine light p0101 mass air flow sensor would cleaning the air filter help this or is it a bigger issue? Appreciate all the help with this!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Are you running a k&n filter?

If yes ditch it and get a oem one

I kept having this code pop up and it was the k&n filter's oil screwing it up

So far since I ditched it I haven't had the code since

Make sure you clean the sensor afterwards

blackescalade79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade
    Have had one on for a little over two years.
    Haven't had any errors pop up, but are you referring to the oil that we spray on the filter after its had a clean?

Quote Originally Posted by blackescalade79
    Have had one on for a little over two years. Haven't had any errors pop up, but are you referring to the oil that we spray on the filter after its had a clean?
    Mine was the same way after two years to started to make the mass air flow sensor throw a performance code(I think it was p0101)

The oil that is sprayed on the filter after its been cleaned can ruin the sensor if it coats it

Try a oem filter for a couple weeks and clean the sensor I believe you see a big difference in the truck(both in the throttle and in mpg)
    The best part is the maf code will never come back

I found this ok k&n site think it's just their marketing machine? http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

Pure hype

There is a thread on here that totally debunks the hype that someone went through the trouble to get the test graphs to back up the truth about the k&n filters

They may be ok to use on stuff like my gas powered rc truck which is a race machine and will likely see a new engine before each race but not in a modern car or truck(same goes for classic cars like my 79 Chrysler cordoba that is carb engine given its hard on air filters a k&n would be a waste there also)

Long story short ditch the k&n your engine will thank you in the long run

I have my old k&n filter in the box of my oem filter and the oem is double the thickness of the k&n(2inches vs 1) which equals to more surface area to filter better

Trust me gm didn't put all that r&d into the stock system for nothing

I found also that it will cause the throttle body to get carbon more often(have yet to clean it since) due to the oil burning in the blow back

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man
    Pure hype There is a thread on here that totally debunks the hype that someone went through the trouble to get the test graphs to back up the truth about the k&n filters
    That would be me. The info and graphs have been posted in several subforums.

----------

What RC truck are you playing with Cadillac Man?

My last one was a fairly heavily modded T Maxx.

jrader94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 ESV Platinum
    Hehe, still have my extended Savage with LRP.30 in my garage. Recently sold brushless truggy, and big block Revo. Fun hobby

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    That would be me. The info and graphs have been posted in several subforums. ---------- What RC truck are you playing with Cadillac Man? My last one was a fairly heavily modded T Maxx.
    I have a 5th scale redcat racing short course truck(2stroke gas)it will run so smooth since I redid the carb needles
    Its nice just parts aren't cheap compared to the others I have

I also have two hip models
    A older rs4 nitro with all wheel drive(wanting to convert it at some point due to fuel cost)
    Brand new mini recon(well it was new for a week ha ha) I recently converted it to brushless just need a lipo for it

Not sure if your into quadcopters but I have been into them lately

I have a dji phantom 2 vision(takes great pics and video)

I also have some smaller quads
    2 hubsun(fpv model) that I used to practice indoors(planning on selling them)
    2 estes proto x(had to get a second for spare rotors) its small but fun

I do plan on getting a fpv kit for the redcat and taking it to a track sometime(love this hobby)

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jrader94
    Hehe, still have my extended Savage with LRP.30 in my garage. Recently sold brushless truggy, and big block Revo. Fun hobby
    I agree

MuzicMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade

Re: Mass Air Flow Sensor

Hi jwpalmer,

Could it just be a bad mass air flow sensor? I had a K&N FIPK for years and never had an issue, and I did get better performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicMan
    Hi jwpalmer, Could it just be a bad mass air flow sensor? I had a K&N FIPK for years and never had an issue, and I did get better performance.
    Its possible but I have had this issue on two different escalades
    My 03 and my mom's 02

Both had the k&n filter and both threw the maf code

MuzicMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade

Re: Mass Air Flow Sensor

I see...hmm, I'm coming from experience with a 1st gen Escalade, so the different intakes might have something to do with it.

I think a MAS is too sensitive to clean, so I guess replace it and change out the KN filter. You could try a performance dry filter from like aFe or Airaid. I changed from my KN kit to a Volant intake kit, and have been much happier. It came with a Donaldson Powercore filter, which is dry and seems to work really well.

I used throttle body cleaner spray and it hasn't gave a issue since(you can get it at any auto parts shop) I will look and see what the name is of the kind I got it works great

Again I am running the stock gm filter now in mine(going to get one for my mom's 02 next oil change in it)
    Number on the box is A3086C(15908916)

I know mc had a graph and it had a few different aftermarket filters and the oem was rated the best in the whole bunch so that's why I run oem due to longevity for the engine

----------

FYI most cold intake kits doesn't get true cold air(mc also noted that in his thread)

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicMan
    Hi jwpalmer, Could it just be a bad mass air flow sensor? I had a K&N FIPK for years and never had an issue, and I did get better performance.
    after I posted this thread I was put into the hospital for 2 days and my escalade sat and when I got out and started it up and the check engine light hasn't come back on but when it was on gave me the code p0101 mass air flow sensor so that's why I posted I'm new to my escalade and want to stay ahead of any issues. Thanks to the Cadillac Man for all his help with every issue that I have posted on here! You have helped me more than I can thank you!!

Glad to help

I hope you recover man I know what its like to be in the hospital (never fun)

Let me know if cleaning the sensor helps along with ditching the k&n

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.