First post and strange front differential problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, First post and strange front differential problem in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello Gentlemen and Ladies, My name is Patrick Ford, and I joined this Forum when I got my Escalade. The ...
    Coal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Black (Coal) Escalade

First post and strange front differential problem

Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,

My name is Patrick Ford, and I joined this Forum when I got my Escalade. The information here has been most helpful in getting my Escalade in what I call "in the should condition". There is a problem that I am hoping SOMEONE out there might know the answer to?

I have a 2002 AWD 6 Liter Cadillac Escalade with about 113,000 miles. I am the second owner, and bought this Escalade in March of this year. Because this Escalade will be our primary mode of transportation during the Winter (we live in Missouri - snow/ice), I have only driven it about 300 miles - into town and back mostly. A couple of months ago the front Differential started pushing the gear lub out of the vent tube. The end of the vent tube is located on the left front inner fender and all the gear lub ended up all over the inside of the left front suspension parts. Last week I drained what was left of the fluid (about a cup) and replaced with Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w90 gear lub and NOW--- the Differential is still 'venting' fluid out of the tube? The front Differential is not leaking around any of the seals (both half shafts and drive shaft) and it does not make any noise (whine or howling) while driving. As far as I can tell this Escalade has never towed anything because the receiver hitch has no wear showing on the inside where the draw-bar would go.

I have asked the Cadillac Dealer, the local Transmission shop (a very good one) and all the Mechanics I know; no one knows why a Differential would make enough pressure to push the fluid out of the 'vent' tube? The best idea was from the local Transmission shop; take the Differential out and apart and see what is inside. But we both agreed - what would we see if all the bearings and seals are okay, what would cause this issue? One thought is the "front Differential Carrier vent hose connector" that screws into the side of the Carrier (just above and to the right of the fill-plug), might be defective. I do not know what it looks like on the inside. I can see that it is yellow in color, has a nut with a small tip that the vent tube goes on and that it is plastic.

I am guessing that short of putting a 'different' front Differential in.....I am out of luck.

I am looking for any help to understand what might be causing this issue. If any of you might think of a answer you would share with me, I would really appreciate it.

Respectfully,

Patrick Ford

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Lmackattack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965

Re: First post and strange front differential problem

I have not yet worked on my escalade but I know on some trucks the vent tube has a check ball to keep fluid from leaking and water from getting in. is this vent/tube able to be removed? If so remove and inspect to see if there is a check ball and if it is staying closed.

just a thought

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    I would say that they have a check valve to prevent this from happening

I have a gm service manual and can check that section if you want me to

Thanks for the replies; a check valve would be useful but if it is being used, it would have to be part of the 'vent hose connector' that is screwed into the Differential Carrier. I am reluctant to try and take the 'vent hose connector' out as it looks to be made of plastic.

"the Cadillac man", if you could find a part number for the 'vent hose connector', that would be great.

Thanks again for any help in this matter.

Ok I will look and see if my gm service manual has the part number listed

If not I will track it down

The problem is now fixed..........................................jus t wanted to let anyone interested know.

FYI for anyone that might have this problem..................I contacted the folks at West Coast Differentials, out in Calif. I got an answer from a Jimmy Claypool that told me the problem was what he called the differential "breather" (what I call the front Differential Carrier vent hose connector) I got a new one (part number GM-12479390) and put it in and now the front differential IS NOT pushing the gear lub out! Do not know what the difference is between the old one and new one but what ever it is........it is not pushing the gear lub out!

I hope this might help anyone that is having the same problem.

C'ya,
    Patrick

Glad to hear you got it fixed

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.