Australian EXT suffers notorious symptoms!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Australian EXT suffers notorious symptoms! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Well after searching and searching I think I'm going to reach out for some help. 04 Ext, only black 04 ...
    blackescalade79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade
    Well after searching and searching I think I'm going to reach out for some help.
    04 Ext, only black 04 in Australia. No Cadillac dealerships here...

I've read many posts in regards to the voltage drop issues whilst the engine is running , however my trucks issue begins prior to the engine starting.
    So key in, turn to Acc: full power - cad logo on screen.
    One more click over to Ignition: all hell breaks loose, dome lights flicker as well as exterior lights, the screen resets, flickers and displays the Delphi version.
    When I proceed to start: I get nothing but the clicks so I stop. Try again and the next crank evolves into the first turn, then a faster turn. It speeds up when I repeat the process and will start as if there was never a problem.
    This is however only in the morning/after approx 12 hrs and I do believe whatever is causing the issue needs some heat in order to get going.

Have checked and replaced the ground straps.
    Installed a new battery, contacts are good - the only thing I can think to do is reflash the ecu?
    Your feedback/insight much apreesh as always!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    I would say that starter motor is failing
    I had this happen in my previous car and it was a gamble as to when it may start next

Got me in the driveway(thank god) and it decided no go(just peachy as it was the day I had set to take it in) I sat there and worked the key at least 100 times before it cranked over

That little slice of hell happened over three months

I replaced the starter and it would crank first try(though I didn't keep it long after that due to other issues)

Interesting.... This EXT has just clicked over 120,000kms, I guess it's done it's duty. Makes so much sense though.

3months - exactly the same duration. I did however enjoy a couple of moments of satisfaction though when I'd start this procedure in public when the spiteful guy walking passed was ever so happy to say,
    "mate she's dead, that ain't starting!'.
    So I smiled and asked him if he had read Steven King's first story, and he heard the opposite of a dying truck. ;-)

Might pull the starter out of the h2, I'm guessing it'd be same? - Oh, and thank you!

Ha ha I got a kick out of that

The starter in the hummer is that same as long as your escalade has the 6.0(I don't know if the smaller engine uses the same starter but could be wrong)

I know the feeling though I had people give me funny looks the day my car did this in a Walmart parking lot(very embarrassing) some said I should have junked the car(last Chrysler I have owned)

The starter isn't hard to swap its just tricky to get to

I love the hummer h2 my dad has one and me and him both love to drive it

----------

Glad to help

Yeh, the h2 is actually a stretch and even though I'd like to put the escalade one back in there, I can't afford to have it sporadically play up during a wedding etc.

I'll change them out tomorrow and maybe shoot some pics of them both.

Ah cool

I have seen the strech hummer limos but never have been in one

I suggest just trying and is if it works then buy a new starter

just about to commence that now. One thing that still baffles me though... Fair enough the starter motor appears to be creating resistance for a free flow crank, but switching the key from ACC - seeing full power in all interior electrics, to ON/IGNITION - suddenly having everything flickering.

Seems as if the IGNITION position is deprived of full power.

That's how mine did when the starter failed

If the starter from the hummer doesn't work then you may have other issues but I'd say more then likely its the starter bad

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.