2002 Escalade resists turning left - fluid whine at firewall
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2002 Escalade resists turning left - fluid whine at firewall in Cadillac Escalade Forums; New to this site, have not mastered search window but sure this problem is archived. There is resistance in steering ...
    jmrich56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

2002 Escalade resists turning left - fluid whine at firewall

New to this site, have not mastered search window but sure this problem is archived. There is resistance in steering wheel when making a left turn and a whine coming from the area in front of steering wheel. I suspect the problem is the power steering assisted unit directly behind the master cylinder. Truck turns to the right with no issues. The faster / harder the left turn, the greater the resistance. Thanks to all responsible for this site.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    The power steering pump does work your brake booster so the whining may get carried that way

I would replace the power steering pump though as it sounds like the valve in it is failing(its at the front of the engine)

Re: 2002 Escalade resists turning left - fluid whine at firewall

Thanks for quick response. Is the valve (in the pump) a directional valve which would explain why the steering works fine on a right hand turn?

Yes it would

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by jmrich56
    Thanks for quick response. Is the valve (in the pump) a directional valve which would explain why the steering works fine on a right hand turn?
    careful....your problem may be the power steering gear box or rack whichever it has... the pump just supplies constant pressure it doesn't know if you are turning right or left thats the steering assembly

Thanks for opinions/advice. The 2002 Escalade has a steering gear box and hydroboost brake system. I spoke with local Cadillac dealer/parts dept and learned that OEM included an electrical diverter valve in the system, which GM later replaced with a mechanical "Direct Flow Actuator". I do not know the early history of this truck but have looked at p.s. pump and do not see any electrical plugs or harness at the pump reservoir. Believe it has been updated to the mechanical actuator but not positive. The truck has no issues turning to the right but has stiff resistance in the steering wheel turning left and also has what sounds like a "starving pump" whine, which could also be fluid under high pressure trying to pass a restricted orifice. It is my opinion that the whine originates from the firewall in front of the drivers side, which makes me suspect the hydroboost, but as Cadillac Man posted above, may simply be the noise/vibration resonating thru the lines.

Yeah mines has that whine too but the steering acts normal, i changed the hydro boost due to leaking and the whine is still there which lets me know that it is resonating thru the lines, i have the pump it just hasn't bothered me enough to change it, its actually drowned out by 1500 watts of audio

Lmackattack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965

did you check the fluid level?

Yes, fluid is OK and no burnt smell. Uneventful drive to work, tested it in parking lot and when sitting still it is very difficult to turn left, with whine also.

BIG-KO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 escalade

The Power Steering pump supplies pressure FIRST to the brake booster(Hydrobooster) and then to the steering box. If you still have sufficient brake stopping power, meaning the effort to push brake pedal to stop the vehicle has not gotten harder, then I would direct my attention to the Steering Box. The moaning sound should be coming from the pump and probably caused by a defect in the steering box. Quick test: you state it turns fine to the right. While sitting still with the engine running turn the wheel all the way to the Right. Turn it real hard and you should hear a similar noise as when you are struggling to turn left. For heaven's sake this is a safety item get it fixed now.

Replaced Steering Gear and as much P.S. fluid as I could get out of system, problem is gone.
    Thanks to all for the advice / opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by jmrich56
    Replaced Steering Gear and as much P.S. fluid as I could get out of system, problem is gone. Thanks to all for the advice / opinions.
    sweet

BIG-KO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 escalade

Great !

Great to hear

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.