Odd thumping noise from inside rear compartment???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Odd thumping noise from inside rear compartment??? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Noticed a very faint and repetitive thumping noise coming from inside the escalade today. With engine running and parked (isn't ...
    biffrogers is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Odd thumping noise from inside rear compartment???

Noticed a very faint and repetitive thumping noise coming from inside the escalade today.

With engine running and parked (isn't a driving issue), there's a VERY faint thumping coming from underneath the passenger side plastic cover above the rear wheel well.

Haven't had a chance to pull the cover just yet...wondering if anyone might know or have had same scenario?

Can't hear it from outside...fwiw.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Does it sound like a helicopter is above you?
    If yes it is likely a wheel bearing(been through that and it almost drove me nuts with my previous car)

Re: Odd thumping noise from inside rear compartment???

Nope...it's making a faint noise while the car is static...I imagine I'll have to tear into the cover to investigate further.

Does it do this with the ac on?

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

I had this happen in a car once. It drove me nuts until I finally found out a hose was vibrating against the firewall sometimes. Check everything under the hood such as wire looms, hoses, components, etc. Look along the firewall and inner wheel wells. Sound can travel and it can be difficult to pinpoint the origin.

I'll have to check...not sure if it was AC related. Sadly I can't check it until I figure out if my starter is bad. Was late to a friend's wedding today when the rig wouldn't start. Turned the key and nothing, nada. Need to check battery voltage (recently replaced alternator) but am pretty sure it's either the NSS or starter. Wow...I hope my luck improves with this caddy soon. Has been one thing after another...

Quote Originally Posted by biffrogers
    I'll have to check...not sure if it was AC related. Sadly I can't check it until I figure out if my starter is bad. Was late to a friend's wedding today when the rig wouldn't start. Turned the key and nothing, nada. Need to check battery voltage (recently replaced alternator) but am pretty sure it's either the NSS or starter. Wow...I hope my luck improves with this caddy soon. Has been one thing after another...
    Does the relay click in the under hood fuse box??

Hard to hear but I think the relay does click. Maybe it's a starter, battery and ignition issue all together? Caddy wouldn't start the other day...so I left the battery on a trickle charger until I got home from work. Started the rig in the evening and drove it 100 miles with no issues. Battery volt meter did show JUST under 14 volts which should be higher. Alternator is brand spankin new...was charging well above 14 until the last few days.

So...I left the trickle charger on all night...started the rig this morning and fired up. Turned it off (took 15 minutes to load the kids in the car, etc). Won't start now.

Dash lights seem to be bright and lights work...but didn't have time to test battery voltage (will check tonight). Possible battery didn't have enough juice to start. I have a gut feeling that the ignition switch is also to blame. The battery has had a hard life...wouldn't be surprised if it's on the verge of dying.

Thoughts? Other than checking battery voltage...not sure where else to start? No codes that I can see other than cat efficiency code.

Sheesh...I can explore the thumping noise at another time...haha. Having the caddy start would ne nice...

Have the battery load tested at a parts place

It is possible its developing a bad cell(had it happen to me before) causing it to drain and be weak

Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 ESV Platinum / 2010 SRX Premium

Uh, was this car used in the Move Good Fellas

Nope wasn't a movie car .

So...replaced the previous battery last night with interstate batt. (old battery had too much voltage drop when compressor kicked on for rear susp.).

Engine still won't crank with new battery (all instrumentation and lights appear to be functioning normally). Good contacts with terminals, etc.

Tried moving the key around in the ignition...no dice.

Thinking it has to be a starter at this point and perhaps combo ignition issue? Have checked fuses multiple times...guess it's time to check again.

Debating about pulling the starter to have it tested, etc. Thoughts?

Before you pull the starter try swapping around the relays

Did that...pulled the relay and swapped. No change...

Then the starter has failed
    Mine did this and I had to get my uncle to drive me home then came back the next day with a haul back for it

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

It could just be the solenoid for the starter. Often times the solenoid gets weak and the plunger gets stuck. Climb under there and tap on it with a hammer to see if the plunger will free up. You might get lucky and only need a new solenoid instead of the whole starter. I haven't looked at the escalade's but the typical gm starters have the solenoid mounted right on the starter where it gets cooked with engine and exhaust heat.

After the solenoid cooked on my 67 Camaro I used a remote mount Ford solenoid mounted on the firewall to keep it away from heat and bypassed the starter mounted one. I never had another problem. The gm solenoid mount design is kind of a weak link because of this. I can't tell you if this could possibly damage the electronics in your car but we used to use a screw driver to jump the terminals on the solenoid/starter on old cars. If the starter cranked, we new the solenoid was bad.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.