Front Shock Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Front Shock Question in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Replaced my rear setup recently with new Bilstein/Arnott absorbers and compressor. Great performance, however the new rears have made it ...
    jrader94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 ESV Platinum

Front Shock Question

Replaced my rear setup recently with new Bilstein/Arnott absorbers and compressor. Great performance, however the new rears have made it clear that the fronts need replaced as well. I may stay with the autoride and get the Bilstein setup, but wanted to ask if anyone has used the Monroe 911505 fronts? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...344&cc=1432038

What affect do these shocks have on the electronic front when the rear is operating as OEM? Have not found much info on these particular front shocks related to the escalade. Is it a bad idea? They are budget shocks obviously as compared to OEM, but Im not afraid to save money for a minor decrease in performance. I'm at 144k miles, and I am assuming the fronts are currently stock as the rears looked to be as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Front Shock Question

Reading more into this, it seems if I convert my active front electronic system to passive gas....the entire electronic ride control would need to be turned off to avoid the SRC message? No point in losing my new rear setup just to save a few bucks. Maybe its better to just stick with OEM setup and maintain best possible ride.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by jrader94
    Reading more into this, it seems if I convert my active front electronic system to passive gas....the entire electronic ride control would need to be turned off to avoid the SRC message? No point in losing my new rear setup just to save a few bucks. Maybe its better to just stick with OEM setup and maintain best possible ride.
    It would be best(that's what I did)
    Besides the shocks are tied into quite a lot on these trucks)

Yeah, the more I look into it the more I'm leaning towards Monroe 40044's.

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by jrader94 View Post
    Replaced my rear setup recently with new Bilstein/Arnott absorbers and compressor. Great performance, however the new rears have made it clear that the fronts need replaced as well...What affect do these shocks have on the electronic front when the rear is operating as OEM? Have not found much info on these particular front shocks related to the escalade.
    Unless you get the OEM replacement rears your rear IS NOT "operating as OEM." The Arnott site is kind of misleading I think. I called their company and they reluctantly confirmed that their shock absorbers use a resistor that tricks the computer into believing the factory shock is present. It does not allow for the computer to interact with and adjust the shock like the factory shock does. They told me about their return and satisfaction policy and claim they have never had a set returned.

I replaced my compressor with a brand new Dorman unit and bought the new Arnott-Bilstein rears. I think the truck feels great with them but this is coming from buying a truck with 100 thousand on the odometer with blown rear shocks when I got it. I don't know what it rode like new from the factory to compare it to. I am satisfied with the ride though.

Due to the inability of the Arnott rears to read and react to the the resistance change, I do not believe the stability control function works with them. The factory shocks read differences through the two wire connector to adjust dampening of the shock which is why the OEM shocks cost so much. The Arnott shocks have a non variable resistor in the electrical connection which only serves the purpose of fooling the computer into thinking the factory shock is there so it won't throw any check src codes. Because the value of this connector never changes, there is no "active" feedback provided from the shock to the truck, and as such, no active adjustments are made.

At first I was a bit pissed at this because the Arnott website makes it look like you are getting a factory shock for a severely discounted price. What you are getting is a new or rebuilt (depending on which one you buy) shock absorber but It does NOT contain the active function. Essentially, you are buying an air shock with a cheater resistor to fool the computer.

Now comes the question of what to buy for fronts? Mine are also due. Do I buy new ones from GM for about $330.00 each or do I buy the Arnotts knowing that their fronts also do not work with the active system? Would I even be able to tell the difference? What would I really be losing if the stability control no longer works? Will I have "partial stability control" with new factory fronts and Arnott rears?

I have not decided yet. If you don't believe me about the Arnott rears, call their tech department and ask them. You will have to be pushy to force an answer (at least I had to) but they eventually confirmed my suspicions.

I bought my truck with blown rears as well...the Arnotts were the new shocks. So if towing, will the computer communicate with the compressor to pump air to raise the rear end? I dont have any complaints either, but if it doesnt communicate how does it know when to pump air, or is the stability control different than the leveler? I was under the impression that the passive Arnott shock replacements were the ones that "fooled" the computer to eliminate the SRC display.

I dont tow, just curious how it would work is all. Monroe advertises OEM front replacements at $230ish a pop and up. Supposed to be direct plug and play for the electronic control, do you think theirs is a similar setup as Arnott?

Quote Originally Posted by jrader94
    I bought my truck with blown rears as well...the Arnotts were the new shocks. So if towing, will the computer communicate with the compressor to pump air to raise the rear end? I dont have any complaints either, but if it doesnt communicate how does it know when to pump air, or is the stability control different than the leveler? I was under the impression that the passive Arnott shock replacements were the ones that "fooled" the computer to eliminate the SRC display. I dont tow, just curious how it would work is all. Monroe advertises OEM front replacements at $230ish a pop and up. Supposed to be direct plug and play for the electronic control, do you think theirs is a similar setup as Arnott?
    Wake the auto leveling is a different feature and uses separate sensors just behind the wheel on the axle that works in with the auto damping system

Does this computer fooling truck apply to the rebulit shocks??
    My truck just doesn't feel the same as my mom's 02 which is rock solid in high speed curves where as mine tend to have slight body roll(kinda unnerving really)
    Hence why I ask

sixstring77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade ESV

I have the 911505s on order and will be able to tell you how they perform in a week or so. Just changed the rears to the Monroe Reflex 911506 so I will be completely passive and won't be able to comment on the electronic ride since it wasn't working when I got the vehicle. I can tell you the new rears have made a big difference simply because the rears were completely shot and it was bouncing around like a rabbit before the change.

04 ESV 188K

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring77
    I have the 911505s on order and will be able to tell you how they perform in a week or so. Just changed the rears to the Monroe Reflex 911506 so I will be completely passive and won't be able to comment on the electronic ride since it wasn't working when I got the vehicle. I can tell you the new rears have made a big difference simply because the rears were completely shot and it was bouncing around like a rabbit before the change. 04 ESV 188K
    Mine did like that before I replaced the shocks(I came close to getting sea sick due to it bouncing like crazy in the back)

If you do ever go back to stock you will notice

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Wake the auto leveling is a different feature and uses separate sensors just behind the wheel on the axle that works in with the auto damping system

Does this computer fooling truck apply to the rebulit shocks??
    My truck just doesn't feel the same as my mom's 02 which is rock solid in high speed curves where as mine tend to have slight body roll(kinda unnerving really)
    Hence why I ask
    TCM,

You have it right. There is a lot of confusion about our rear suspension. I had to research it quite a bit to see exactly how it worked. Many people incorrectly refer to our trucks as having "Air Ride." I think Arnott's site even incorrectly refers to "Riding on air." For anyone interested, the front shocks do not have any type of air hose connection. They do have a connector on the top which interfaces with the electronic dampening system which I think also works with the Cadillac stability control (not sure on this though).

The dampening system electronically adjusts at high speeds and rough terrain. I would imagine a quality shock absorber with good absorption and dampening characteristics would probably accomplish this just as well. Now for the rear shocks, we have two systems in play. One is the air system. It uses rubber bladders and a compressor to raise and lower the rear level. The other system is the electronic dampening which uses a sensor to read several times per second what is taking place in the shock and adjust the level of dampening action.

This is how the "electronic shock" system was explained by my GM mechanic friend and I guess explains why the factory shocks are so damn expensive. If I remember correctly, the dealer wants around three grand to diagnose, remove and replace the rear compressor and both rear shocks with factory OEM components.

Looking at the cost of doing it myself, I think the cheapest I could get the GM OEM shocks were just under $500 each and the Dorman compressor for $229ish. I just couldn't justify spending $1300 bucks for rear shocks. When I called Arnott and started to ask specifics about their shocks I confirmed through their tech department that both the NEW and REBUILT shocks they sell have a static fixed resistor to trick the computer so it does not throw a SRC code. They do NOT have active electronic dampening.

From their site under the rebuilt OEM shock..."Arnott is pleased to offer this completely rebuilt rear air shock for the Cadillac Escalade by GM. Arnott’s remanufactured shock features a new rubber air spring bladder manufactured exclusively by Goodyear. This remanufactured Cadillac Escalade shock is not a passive replacement. This Air Shock will plug directly into your Cadillac Escalade factory electronic damping system. The price per OE Cadillac shock at your local dealership is more than $600.00!"

Now here is where the wording is clever and I feel misleading. Yes you get a completely rebuilt shock with a new rubber air bladder and their dampening. It says it is not a passive replacement and will plug directly into the electronic dampening system. They consider it to not be a "passive replacement" because the automatic air level controls still work. It does plug into the electronic dampening system but if you break down the description, nowhere does it say that it RETAINS the factory active dampening system. The factory harness plugs into the shock where the cheater resistor feeds a constant unvarying resistance to the computer so you don't get any codes. As far as that part of the computer is concerned, your truck is sitting still and the shocks never change state.

I am still satisfied with the product, but I do think there is a bit of sales trickery. When you really break it down the dealer wants around $895 for each rear shock which you can probably find online for about $500. With a core return, how can I expect to get the same thing for under $200? Now I just have to decide what to do for fronts. I will probably go with the Arnott Bilsteins for the front as well because I think I will be happy with the performance. The electronic dampening may be more of a gimmick. The question is will I or anyone else in the same situation ever really notice a difference which would justify the huge opportunity costs of replacing all 4 shocks with factory equipment?

I also replaced my front and rear sway bar bushings with energy suspension poly bushings. I used their end links for the front bar and new OEM links with the energy suspension bushings for the rear. That combination with the new rear shocks and four new tires gave me a great stable ride.

I guess that explains it
    My mom's 02 is still stock oem shocks(hence the more stable ride)

My rear shocks must not work with the suspension module as I get a slight rear end wobble in turns at high speeds

Next shocks I get will be new oems not rebuilt

That pisses me off that they are making such false claims just for money

Great Retrax, that cleared up almost all of my questions! Much appreciate the write up. I guess the only other question I have is if http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/40044 will act in the same way as Arnotts fronts. It states "100 % compatible with the factory air or electronic suspension system." Sells for a little higher than Arnotts, but much less than OEM.

Probably go with these or Arnotts after reading your post. Honestly, if I had the cash to throw around for a factory setup, I probably would have afforded a 2015 Escalade

Agree that although the Arnott advertising is misleading and irritating, the ride for one that hasnt experienced true factory suspension is good. Do believe however that they should clarify the exact behavior of the absorber......Monroe as well, if the above linked shock acts in the same way.

sixstring77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade ESV

Just wanted to give an update on the Monroe Reflex 911505 fronts. ESV rides nice and smooth with all 4 corners now gas. No dash lights. Spent $160 for all 4 shocks and installed them in about 1.5 hours. Can't complain about anything. I'd like to ride in an Escalade that has the original system working just to see if I'm missing something magical. Picked up a boat this weekend and it rode great on the 3 hour trip back.

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring77 View Post
    I have the 911505s on order and will be able to tell you how they perform in a week or so. Just changed the rears to the Monroe Reflex 911506 so I will be completely passive and won't be able to comment on the electronic ride since it wasn't working when I got the vehicle. I can tell you the new rears have made a big difference simply because the rears were completely shot and it was bouncing around like a rabbit before the change.

04 ESV 188K

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring77
    Just wanted to give an update on the Monroe Reflex 911505 fronts. ESV rides nice and smooth with all 4 corners now gas. No dash lights. Spent $160 for all 4 shocks and installed them in about 1.5 hours. Can't complain about anything. I'd like to ride in an Escalade that has the original system working just to see if I'm missing something magical. Picked up a boat this weekend and it rode great on the 3 hour trip back.
    If you were in my area I could give you a taste of that in my mom's 02(mine has arenotts junk in the rear) its stable in turns no matter the speed(I caught myself doing 20mph over a posted limit in one curve one day and yet the truck didn't even budge a bit as far as body roll) luckily no cops was around thank goodness(tickets SUCK ask me how I know)

I should receive my Monroe 40044 front shocks today, and will install this weekend. They advertise active dampening, but so did Arnott. We will see I guess. I'm running rear Arnott (new)...hoping the fronts are active like OE.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.