02 Escalade Oil Cooler Gasket replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 02 Escalade Oil Cooler Gasket replacement in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi - I have a 2002 Escalade and it appears the gasket for the engine oil cooler lines needs replacing. ...
    carguy45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

02 Escalade Oil Cooler Gasket replacement

Hi -

I have a 2002 Escalade and it appears the gasket for the engine oil cooler lines needs replacing. Has anyone done this job before? It doesn't strike me as something I can't do on my own. Also, if there are any tips, tricks or pics out there please post as I can't find too much online about this.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Re: 02 Escalade Oil Cooler Gasket replacement

Hey Mike,

I just replaced the oil cooler lines on our '05 6.0 not so long ago. It was an easy job for me as I had the oil pan removed. I used the Dorman replacement lines from Auto Zone. They fit perfect, 2 things though, 1 make sure to tighten the big allen wrench screw on the side of part that screws to the oil pan (mine was loose), 2 the Dorman did not come with the 2 star locking washers to secure the lines to the radiator (NOT available at The Zone or other big box stores). You will read not to reuse those, I did, I was in a pinch. The old star locking washers are still holding to this day.

The common leak area on these lines is where the rubber get crimped into the steel lines. I have read that sometimes you can use 2 screw type radiator clamps to clamp down on those union points. I have not read that the gasket itself ever leaked.

If you do a search on replacing the lines here, you'll see a number of DIYs that ranged from an hour to almost 2 days. Personally I see it as a very easy DIY even with the oil pan still bolted to the motor.

Tips and tools needed to make this an easy DIY. You need an "L" shaped pick/small flat screw driver to remove the 2 star locking washers. A 10mm wrench or I used my 1/4" ratchet with a long extension, swivel and a 10mm socket, made very fast work of the bolts. TIP: plan on replacing lines or gasket when you are doing an oil change. TIP #2: pull the lines down past the oil pan rather than trying to pull them up through the engine compartment.

carguy45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

Re: 02 Escalade Oil Cooler Gasket replacement

Thanks for the response and tip. I'm going to be working on it this weekend - appreciate the help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.