Roaring Noise 02 EXT AWD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Roaring Noise 02 EXT AWD in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Any input that you folks can give me is greatly appreciated. I have been dealing with this roaring noise in ...
    MDESI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT AWD

Roaring Noise 02 EXT AWD

Any input that you folks can give me is greatly appreciated. I have been dealing with this roaring noise in my truck for about a month now and I am hesitent to drive it. It has been sitting for 2 weeks now. I have a 2002 Escalade EXT AWD with about 175k on it

The problem: While driving my truck, short distances or long, hot or cold, when I accellerate and let off the gas the car makes a roaring noise on the decel. If I hit the gas it goes away, if I hit the brakes it does not change anything. It doesn't matter if I am turning or going straight. The noise started a while ago and at first it was very faint to the point where I wasn't sure if I was hearing something or not. Now it happens just about everytime my truck is on the decel. It happens most when the car is up at cruising speed 50+mph and then I let off the gas. It feels like it is coming from the front half of the vehicle and I can feel a vibration in the steering wheel when it happens. The noise does not sound like anything is grinding and it speeds up/ slows down with the speed of the vehicle. I'm not sure if it could be something in the tranny, but it shifts perfectly and I have never had a problem with the tranny. I was going to do the rear end bearings, but decided against it due to the noise not being consistent with a bad rear end.

What I have done thus far to fix it: My truck had the notorious whining sound from the front diff, so I replaced the carrier and pinion bearings. That noise went away, but roar is still there. I noticed that my front output shaft had more than normal play in it, so I pulled my transfer case and replaced all the bearings. Very little metal shavings on the magnet, filter wasn't that bad (some silicone on it, but not clogged). I was hoping to see a bearing that was completely shot, but I didn't. All the bearings were tired due to the miles, but not all that bad. I did replace the front universal joint a couple years back with a aftermarket one when that started making noise. Also, both front wheel bearing are new.

Any suggestions, ideas or have heard of a similar issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Does it only do it if the ac is on?

Re: Roaring Noise 02 EXT AWD

It does it whether or not the AC is on or off unfortunately.

The only thing I can think is that when I rebuilt the front diff one of my thrust washer tabs was broken off and I didn't replace it. I actually wasn't sure if there should be one there in the first place, but it sounds like from the research I have done that there should be one. I tightened it up so it felt like how it did when I took it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by MDESI
    It does it whether or not the AC is on or off unfortunately. The only thing I can think is that when I rebuilt the front diff one of my thrust washer tabs was broken off and I didn't replace it. I actually wasn't sure if there should be one there in the first place, but it sounds like from the research I have done that there should be one. I tightened it up so it felt like how it did when I took it apart.
    That could be it

My gm service manual does reference in a pic of it with the tabs

I would tear into it and see what's up as it could cause other damage

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    That could be it

My gm service manual does reference in a pic of it with the tabs

I would tear into it and see what's up as it could cause other damage
    Only one side had the tab. Does it show both sides having it? I inspected the ring and looked for a spot where a piece broke off and I could not find anything. The ring looked clean. Have you felt or heard of this issue on these trucks in the past where the ring wasn't tightened properly? At this point I feel like I want whatever it is to grenade so I know where it's coming from as sick as that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by MDESI
    Only one side had the tab. Does it show both sides having it? I inspected the ring and looked for a spot where a piece broke off and I could not find anything. The ring looked clean. Have you felt or heard of this issue on these trucks in the past where the ring wasn't tightened properly? At this point I feel like I want whatever it is to grenade so I know where it's coming from as sick as that sounds.
    I will look and see

I don't know of it happening before

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    You didn't mention the front axles (CV joints). Did you inspect, replace those recently?

Thanks for bringing that up mike(I completely forgot about that)

I remember my dad had a 83 Subaru wagon and before we got rid of it(lots of miles) I know it had a cv joint failing which would sound about like what the op is talking about

Jophusp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Escalade XS-500

When on Decel, if you pop it into neutral does it quiet down, or stay the same?

bigirb2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 escalade

well u kinda answered your own question. u must install new lock tabs on both sides during a rebuild. if you did install a tab on 1 side then u have lost your preload. the side adjusters will back off if you didnt install a new tab. rebuild the diff again make sure all spec match. sound on decel is usually a pinion prob. watch this video as he explain everything nice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DiTnLA5MpI

Quote Originally Posted by bigirb2002 View Post
    well u kinda answered your own question. u must install new lock tabs on both sides during a rebuild. if you did install a tab on 1 side then u have lost your preload. the side adjusters will back off if you didnt install a new tab. rebuild the diff again make sure all spec match. sound on decel is usually a pinion prob. watch this video as he explain everything nice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DiTnLA5MpI
    I have seen this video before, but the problem is that he left the thrust washers in place and never had to adjust them. I believe the tab broke off one of my adjusters and now I can't lock it (passanger side). Does anyone have the install/ setup manual for this? or another video that explains how to set these?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.