Ever so slight RPM jumping when shifting from 4th to Overdrive
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Ever so slight RPM jumping when shifting from 4th to Overdrive in Cadillac Escalade Forums; A while back I had some jumping , but I discovered it was because of a leaking transmission coolant line. ...
    Lepper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade

Ever so slight RPM jumping when shifting from 4th to Overdrive

A while back I had some jumping , but I discovered it was because of a leaking transmission coolant line. I have since tightened the clamps and have had no leakage so far. I have been very good about keeping it topped off with Dexron VI. Every now and then my rpms will do a little slight jumping when shifting into overdrive, but If I accelerate through it stops. Soon as it does it, you can feel it. If I shift at higher RPMs, it usually will shift fine. Just from my research, and I am a novice compared to a lot of the people here, it seems it may have something to with the TPS or the TCC. My Transmission was rebuilt a year ago. I have kept up with preventive maintenance, just did my rear differential change along with my oil a week ago. New air filter as well. Mainly irrelevant , but should mention otherwise. What should I do now?
    Could a code be pulled? No lights are on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Was the filter changed at the same time as the fluid?
    If no then it needs replacing soon

My truck did this and after changing the fluid and filter it shifted smooth again

flyingdutchman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Ever so slight RPM jumping when shifting from 4th to Overdrive

If he had the transmission rebuilt a year ago I doubt they reused the old fluid and filter

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

I've been reading quite a bit about these transmission problems as I have one myself.

I also have a rebuilt unit in my Escalade and I had torque converter surging when locked in 4th on this newer unit. I used something called Dr. Trans picked up from Advance Auto after reading a lot of reviews on it. Cleared that problem up.

I also had one instance of the trans losing all engagement in 4th, once I pulled over it shifted back to 1st and never had it happen again.

One interesting tidbit I came across while researching this trans was that in a lot of rebuilds one part of the trans valve body is often overlooked, the TCC engagement piston bore that is described as wearing out. There is a company out there that makes a rebuild kit for that with a reamer and a sleeve insert to fix the problem. I don't have the link handy but if you search tcc bore I think you'll find it. My rebuild had probably 20K miles on it but is out of warranty time-wise, but I'm contemplating swapping out the valve body with a thoroughly rebuilt unit. I'm still a little worried that the Dr. Trans stuff I put in is a bandaid, or that a worn valve body may take its toll on the trans later. I also seem to be running a bit higher trans temperatures than I remember (not a daily driver). It's not even hot out yet and I'm seeing 1/2 scale on the trans temp in traffic or heavy city driving.

From what I've read the throttle body (tps sensor) going bad usually results in a harsh or delayed 1-2 shift, doesn't sound like what you're experiencing to me.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    When its hot outside the temps will run higher

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

Lepper,

What kind of warranty did they give you? They didn't reuse your torque converter did they? Is the converter new or rebuilt? It sounds like your torque converter is lazy going into lockup in high gear. That can also contribute to higher trans fluid temperatures. I'd go back to the place you had do your trans work. If you are on your own, try a product called seafoam trans tune. If that doesn't work, I would pay for a transmission diagnostic. They can cycle the valve body, check solenoids and pressures to find out what the problem is which will likely save you money in the long run.

I had a high performance rebuild put in my diesel Superduty by one of the best shops in the Twin Cities. It failed shortly after install and they replaced the whole thing under warranty. It is not unheard of to have rebuilt or new parts go bad if they are put in by a pro even though it is rare. See what your shop says. If a new converter is needed and out of warranty that is a lot cheaper than another transmission.

BIG-KO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 escalade

The TCC piston is in the pump, not in the valvebody. There are different designed valves out there, like steel vs alum and 1-piece vs 2-piece. Here is a company whose products I've used before and they include a re-designed TCC valve or some call it the boost valve, in the kit. High quality parts. see here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERIOR-4L6...item1c3b0a114b

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-KO View Post
    The TCC piston is in the pump, not in the valvebody. There are different designed valves out there, like steel vs alum and 1-piece vs 2-piece. Here is a company whose products I've used before and they include a re-designed TCC valve or some call it the boost valve, in the kit. High quality parts. see here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERIOR-4L6...item1c3b0a114b
    Ah, thanks for the correction. Not the TCC piston, the TCC regulator valve that is in the valve body that can go bad.

This is what came up on a lot of threads (not here) I read that pointed to the valve body being the culprit

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
    Lepper,

What kind of warranty did they give you? They didn't reuse your torque converter did they? Is the converter new or rebuilt? It sounds like your torque converter is lazy going into lockup in high gear. That can also contribute to higher trans fluid temperatures. I'd go back to the place you had do your trans work. If you are on your own, try a product called seafoam trans tune. If that doesn't work, I would pay for a transmission diagnostic. They can cycle the valve body, check solenoids and pressures to find out what the problem is which will likely save you money in the long run.

I had a high performance rebuild put in my diesel Superduty by one of the best shops in the Twin Cities. It failed shortly after install and they replaced the whole thing under warranty. It is not unheard of to have rebuilt or new parts go bad if they are put in by a pro even though it is rare. See what your shop says. If a new converter is needed and out of warranty that is a lot cheaper than another transmission.

I cant be 100% sure if they reused the TCC, I assume they didn't and I think my warranty may have worn out. Im going to try the seafoam first before I go back to him.

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

It's worth a try. The seafoam trans tune is good stuff. Hopefully it is just something that is sticky. If that doesn't fix it a diagnostic should give you an idea of what is going on before you start throwing parts at it.

I put the Seafoam in today. Went through every gear in park, then drove it 10 miles home. It is definitely running quieter thats for sure. If I see any jumping I am just going to change the fluid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.