Service ride control message
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Service ride control message in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello, My 2004 Escalade ESV has completely bottomed out in the back and the air compressor runs a lot. The ...
    HoganPC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade 2004 ESV

Service ride control message

Hello,
    My 2004 Escalade ESV has completely bottomed out in the back and the air compressor runs a lot.
    The ride is getting worse and it now bottoms out over most all bumps.
    I went to my local auto parts store and they said that two types of air shocks are available, how do I find out which one I need?

Are there any other things I should look into before I replace the shocks?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    It depends on how you like the stock auto ride system
    Some members swap the stock shocks for gas shocks
    Others(like me) replace the stock shocks and compressor and keep the stock auto ride system

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: Service ride control message

Or get passive air shocks like those from Arnott and keep the air ride without the OEM cost.

SFX Group is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV Platinum 2004 ::: BMW 750iL 2000

Mine has this up, ive just replaced all 4 TPMS senders on the wheels (IPM i think they where), $290 (Canada) for all parts and wheels, removed, balanced and put back on (and programmed).

I only have the Ride Control message now. My compressor works, i need to look at the codes, but i want someone else who knows where there doing.

I know the compressor was replaced, but the message has been on since then, so i might just get another compressor.... will look in to it, the message drives me nuts!

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

Along the same topic, do the Arnott rear shocks function exactly the same as OEM? It looks like the Arnott FRONT SHOCKS have a gadget that plugs in to fool the ride control system.

The new (not rebuilt) Arnott REAR SHOCKS look like they have the same air inlet plug in and the same wiring pigtail plug in built into the shocks (ie,they appear to be just like OEM). So do the rears work the same, because the fronts seem to use some electronic tom foolery. Just what does the two wire electrical plug on each rear shock do?

Arnotts website isn't really clear on if their rear shocks function the same as OEM.

Ive had a look at the wiring....

There is a controller (under rear HVAC), each damper has a sensor (front and rear), each wheel has a suspension height sensor (front and rear, mopunting on the chassis with a link to the arm / axle) then a pump with a pressure sensor.

So this means for the complete unit to work, all 4 shocks need to be plugged in and the positoins sensors need to work, need to pull codes, and check if cables are in i would think.

Ok, that makes sense. From what I can see reading further on Arnotts site, the new and rebuilt rears do interface with the electronic dampening but their fronts do not. I am thinking of going with new rears from Arnott and probably OEM for fronts which I assume are AC Delco.. I just put in a new compressor assembly made by Dorman.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax
    Ok, that makes sense. From what I can see reading further on Arnotts site, the new and rebuilt rears do interface with the electronic dampening but their fronts do not. I am thinking of going with new rears from Arnott and probably OEM for fronts which I assume are AC Delco.. I just put in a new compressor assembly made by Dorman.
    You are correct on the oem

TCM,

AC Delco lists several different part numbers for my 2003 EXT. Any idea on where I can find the right number? I might just try to call them on Monday. It looks like I can probably get them online through Amazon for about $225 for the OEM fronts compared to $214 for the Arnott fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
    I just put in a new compressor assembly made by Dorman.
    I read somewhere that some make (on Amazon) was trash, however i cant remember which, i do remember it needs to have the OEM plug, they seem to be ok, its the ones with loose wires you "tap" in to the truck harness tend to fail after about 6 months.

----------

TCM,

AC Delco lists several different part numbers for my 2003 EXT. Any idea on where I can find the right number? I might just try to call them on Monday. It looks like I can probably get them online through Amazon for about $225 for the OEM fronts compared to $214 for the Arnott fronts.
    I go to the dealer, talking about how good the truck is then ask for a quote for parts with my VIN number, i walk out 10 mins later with a written quote AND PART NUMBERS

Good idea. The dorman part is a complete replacement just like the OEM part. It also had a lifetime warranty. No wires to splice. Here's a pic of what I got.

Do you have a dorman part number?
    Mine was done 3 years ago, however i am hoping he didnt cut any wires off, also i will be making a "protection" cover as i am sure when i looked at this its right next to the rear left wheel, about the distance it takes to cover it every bit of water the wheel flicks off (including salt).

I think my problem are the shocks, i notice the front ones are yellow, they cant be OEM!

Good idea. The dorman part is a complete replacement just like the OEM part. It also had a lifetime warranty. No wires to splice. Here's a pic of what I got.

Quote Originally Posted by SFX Group
    Do you have a dorman part number? Mine was done 3 years ago, however i am hoping he didnt cut any wires off, also i will be making a "protection" cover as i am sure when i looked at this its right next to the rear left wheel, about the distance it takes to cover it every bit of water the wheel flicks off (including salt). I think my problem are the shocks, i notice the front ones are yellow, they cant be OEM!
    Amazon sells them for a great price just keep in mind the for my car feature on the site doesn't work for stuff like this

Here's the part number for my truck (2003). 2007 and later used a different plug and use a different part number. I know this one will at least fit 2003-2006.

Ok, to follow up with anybody wondering, I just got off the phone with Arnott. Their web site reads like their shocks use the factory electronic connector to interface with the shock but they do not. The guy I spoke with said the plug on the rear shocks are basically a resistor to fool the vehicle into thinking the factory shocks are installed. He did say they have heard good feedback of their product.

It looks like the only way to maintain the factory speed dampening is to go with the OEM parts front and rear. I don't know how much of a difference a guy could feel between the two but there is the answer anyway.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.