05' escalade ESV with 80,000 miles and need to add 40-100 H.P.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 05' escalade ESV with 80,000 miles and need to add 40-100 H.P. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Recently bought and will do some towing. If gas mileage is made better budget could be higher. Looking for any ...
    Withapict is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade and cts

05' escalade ESV with 80,000 miles and need to add 40-100 H.P.

Recently bought and will do some towing. If gas mileage is made better budget could be higher.

Looking for any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Retrax is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

Re: 05' escalade ESV with 80,000 miles and need to add 40-100 H.P.

You likely won't see a mpg increase. 40-100 hp is a pretty tall order. It's not going to happen with a cold air intake, programmer and performance exhaust system. What is your budget? If you put in a performance cam, new heads, intake, along with a performance tune and free flowing cats and exhaust you could probably pick up 75 horsepower but you are talking a lot of money. To gain 100 or more you should look into a supercharger, larger fuel injectors, performance exhaust and tune.

If you are looking for an SUV with better mpg and towing power you would be better off getting a suburban or excursion with a diesel. You can make some pretty impressive power gains with just a tuner.

Jophusp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Escalade XS-500

I agree with Retrax. Opening up the airways, and a tune could get you up to around 26hp, or so I have heard. If your looking for big gains, try a bigger fuel pump, injectors, and supercharger. A centrifugal setup is not all that hard, or expensive, and there is lots of room to play with them. I have a 9lb powerdyne, and get 550hp +.

Retrax is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

Jophusp,

What do you figure you have into parts on that setup (injectors, fuel system upgrade, blower, engine management programming, exhaust?). Can you run 9psi on pump gas without any detonation? Are you using stock heads? Any concerns with valve float?

Your truck sounds pretty sweet! Superchargers and turbos are awesome. I recently sold my big block 67 Camaro RS SS. It had a 10.5:1 Gen V full roller with a pro shot direct nitrous system (one nitrous and one fuel nozzle on each intake runner). I owned that car for almost 20 years. If I started a new project, forced induction would be the way to go.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

What are you towing that you need more power? What engine do you have? If you really want the power, a supercharger would be the way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
    Jophusp,

What do you figure you have into parts on that setup (injectors, fuel system upgrade, blower, engine management programming, exhaust?). Can you run 9psi on pump gas without any detonation? Are you using stock heads? Any concerns with valve float?

Your truck sounds pretty sweet! Superchargers and turbos are awesome. I recently sold my big block 67 Camaro RS SS. It had a 10.5:1 Gen V full roller with a pro shot direct nitrous system (one nitrous and one fuel nozzle on each intake runner). I owned that car for almost 20 years. If I started a new project, forced induction would be the way to go.
    My truck is actually an XS-500, but I have upgraded the blower. It was a 96k truck from the dealer. There were different levels of performance that you could get, right now I have the Blower, larger injectors, Bigger fuel pump, reprogrammed computer, Borla dual exhaust, baer brakes, and a corvette servo to stiffen up my shifts. sounds beast! I also added a blow-off valve instead of the recirculating valve, just for the fun of hearing that loud PSSSSSH! coming from an escalade. I run Shell 93 religiously. Have not had any problems, except Im getting new bearings in the blower again after only about 10k miles, I did drive it a little hard from time to time, but I love shocking people.

----------

I would love to get my hands on a 67 Camaro Bet that was a blast to drive!

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophusp
    My truck is actually an XS-500, but I have upgraded the blower. It was a 96k truck from the dealer. There were different levels of performance that you could get, right now I have the Blower, larger injectors, Bigger fuel pump, reprogrammed computer, Borla dual exhaust, baer brakes, and a corvette servo to stiffen up my shifts. sounds beast! I also added a blow-off valve instead of the recirculating valve, just for the fun of hearing that loud PSSSSSH! coming from an escalade. I run Shell 93 religiously. Have not had any problems, except Im getting new bearings in the blower again after only about 10k miles, I did drive it a little hard from time to time, but I love shocking people. ---------- I would love to get my hands on a 67 Camaro Bet that was a blast to drive!
    Man you have a beast of a truck
    I also would have the blow off valve

10k on the blower seems short on the bearings to me

deathpulse is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This truck is a pretty good truck to tow with in normally aspirated form. What are you going to tow? Honestly, if you want to tow something larger than the stock truck can handle, I'd look into a nice used diesel heavy duty truck before getting a power adder (super/turbo charger) for the 'Lade. Using a power adder for towing on your escalade will also wear hard on your transmission, engine internals, fuel system etc. which will also need to be at least considered for upgrade (which is why I am suggesting thinking about a used heavy duty diesel).

Withapict is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade and cts

Assume I start with long term plans of a supercharger I still would assume a handful of mods are still needed. Chip, intake, exhaust ext.

Are things like valves and cam also needed?

Supercharger I would assume totals 7-10,000$.
    Could I come close to 40-50 h.p. For under $3000 or so?
    I just pulled a 16*8 enclosed trailer 200 miles with maybe an additional 1500 pounds inside. and was ok. Also have a 30' camper.

----------

Ballpark price I would be looking at to get to your 550 h.p.?

Depending which type supercharger you would go with. A centrifugal one like mine only cost about $1500. Roots type would be a little more. for the whole kit, you would probably never pass 7k. I think most kits come with new intake, but if not, just rig one up, its pretty easy. Most kits would also come with the larger injectors, and the programming needed to re-tune. Exhaust would be up to you after that, but there are lots of options out there. Headers would be nice, but are not needed. For 550+ HP You will need to be making at least 7lbs of boost. On one run with 9lbs I hit 596! With our LQ9 engine, the Valves, and cam are fine, but you will also need a bigger fuel pump. As far as mileage goes, I get 9-12 city, 17-19 Highway.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.