Just fitted Bilsteins to my 2004...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Just fitted Bilsteins to my 2004... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; And holy shit what a difference compared to autoride. I thought autoride was the best there is but after replacing ...
    John P is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade 6.0

Just fitted Bilsteins to my 2004...

And holy shit what a difference compared to autoride. I thought autoride was the best there is but after replacing mine and the compressor going 3 times I took it all out and replaced with Bilstein HD shocks. It handles likes it's not gonna tip over, doesn't sway or bounce and the ride is firmer without being harsh or bumpy. Wish I had done it a long time ago! Best $300 I've spent!

Highly recommend it to anyone who's sick of autoride going wrong and the prices. When I read forums saying it's better I wouldn't have believed it but it is. My autoride worked fine, just Daft things kept going wrong, but glad it's gone now!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deathpulse is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Just fitted Bilsteins to my 2004...

Hello John - where did you get the shocks/which model number fit? How hard was it to do the conversion - did you have to cap off any lines etc?

03pearlcadi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

hmmm I just did the same exchange from autoride electronic shock,to the best feel in the world.it feels like night and day for me .so anybody on the fence on this one make the choice and go with blistein hd shocks .you will not be disappointed.

John P is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade 6.0
    Hi DeathPulse, I got mine from summit racing. I ordered 2 of each of the following ;
    Bilstein 24-143806
    Bilstein 24-065009.

When installing all I did was disconnect the negative battery terminal...leave it for 15 minutes then pull the RTD fuse under the hood and that prevents any error message when the autoride is removed.
    Then I just disconnect the wire from each shock and tied them up into small bags and tucked them up out the way, I'm very unlikely to need them again but left them there incase I didn't like the Bilsteins. Same for the rear with the air hoses, just tidied everything up and tucked it away.

Put the new shocks in, connect the neg batt cable again and enjoy. DO NOT put the RTD fuse back in, just leave it out.

Best thing I've done! I'm on 26s aswell and thought the ride could never be as comfortable but as stable as it is! Truly the best thing I've done and I was nervous about it like everyone else....trust me you will not be disappointed!
    deathpulse likes this.

deathpulse is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks John! Great info. I have a feeling I'll be doing this procedure shortly. Sounds like my compressor is on more often then not .

----------

Hey -just noticed you are in Glasgow! Very cool - I have extended family still over in Edinburgh (Logans). How is it driving the 'Lade in Scotland?

pmartell12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): black 2003 ESV

In the notes for the rear shocks it says " For vehicles without electronic suspension. If vehicle is equipped with self leveling (Nivomat) rear suspension you must purchase Bilstein spring part number 199020 in addition to the damper."
    Did you find the old springs were suitable?... is the heavy duty spring really needed?

sosatyme72 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '03 Escalade ESV

I have 2 replace my rear shocks as the bags have a hole/slash in them somehow and the compressor not even sure it works since I dont even hear it ever come on. Would this be a better route for me to go? Im assuming it would be cheaper also??

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sosatyme72
    I have 2 replace my rear shocks as the bags have a hole/slash in them somehow and the compressor not even sure it works since I dont even hear it ever come on. Would this be a better route for me to go? Im assuming it would be cheaper also??
    Its up to you
    Me I like the stock system

Carvone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS 1SG & 10 STS 1SG

I just did this on my '03 last month, everything seemed pretty good still but the compressor started running more often for the last 8 months and finally one day it quit (knew it was coming) and the "service stability suspension" message came on the DIC, and with 120K on it I figured some new parts were long overdue.
    I ordered
    Bilstein fronts F4-BE5-6500-HO http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Bilstein backs F4-BE5-6501-HO http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also went ahead and put some other suspension parts on also
    Moog sway bar bushings front http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Moog sway bar bushings back http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Sway bar endlinks front http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Stabilizer links for the rear http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All these parts came to just under $400 and only took a couple hours to install. Relatively easy install on all of these parts. Also went and got a 4 wheel alignment as my wife likes to hit curbs and the front was pulling a little. Overall it is a nice ride again.
    deathpulse likes this.

GaExt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT
    Can I just replace the rear with the bilstein shock or have to be front and rear. Wanted to replace the rear one weekend and the front another weekend when I have time and still be able to drive the truck.

Carvone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS 1SG & 10 STS 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by GaExt View Post
    Can I just replace the rear with the bilstein shock or have to be front and rear. Wanted to replace the rear one weekend and the front another weekend when I have time and still be able to drive the truck.
    Sure, you could split it up if you're that pressed for time. Honestly though, you could do all four in an hour while drinking a beer. Not sure where you are located but if you are in the north and the truck is rusty underneath then you would be wise to hit all the bolts the day before with "PB Blaster" or the like to make them easier to get off. Rusty bolts are the only thing that will really slow you down.
    I put mine up on Rhino ramps and used a floor jack to raise the axle on each corner so the bolt holes would line up, made life real easy.
    Don't forget to pull the Negative battery cable and RTD fuse before you start.

Lepper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade

How many orders of bushings, endlinks and stabilizer links will I need?

GaExt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT
    Just replace mine over the weekend. No complaints yet.Best way to go if dont mind not having the oem air ride shock anymore. Quick few hrs job

sixstring77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade ESV

Hi, just got a 2004 ESV this week. It appears the previous owner had put in passive air shocks as there is an air nipple on the rear bumper and nothing is hooked up to the compressor. No error lights so I'm assuming they bypassed the system checks already. The shocks are shot and I'm going to replace them with Bilsteins. There are no rear springs. Are you guys installing springs and the new shock or just the shocks?

pmartell12 had asked the question a few posts up but no one answered it. Thanks.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstring77
    Hi, just got a 2004 ESV this week. It appears the previous owner had put in passive air shocks as there is an air nipple on the rear bumper and nothing is hooked up to the compressor. No error lights so I'm assuming they bypassed the system checks already. The shocks are shot and I'm going to replace them with Bilsteins. There are no rear springs. Are you guys installing springs and the new shock or just the shocks? pmartell12 had asked the question a few posts up but no one answered it. Thanks.
    If you go with bilsteins I would recommend getting the Tahoe springs so the rear end doesn't sag
    I would say they disconnected the module

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.