Rocker arm?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Rocker arm? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi all. I'm hearing an odd rattling sound coming from the engine when I start the car but when it ...
    drewusmaximus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Escalade

Rocker arm?

Hi all. I'm hearing an odd rattling sound coming from the engine when I start the car but when it warms up the sound is gone. When I accelerate I can hear it flutter but after a few minutes the sound goes away. I had read that the rocker arm is stuck then it loosens up. I changed the oil a few days before with Mobil 5000 5w30. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Check the heat shield on the muffler

Re: Rocker arm?

Thanks for the response. Where's the heat shield?

----------

Thanks for the response. Where's the heat shield?
    Do I look under the car close by the engine? Btw it's a 02 escalade AWD 6.0l
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by drewusmaximus
    Thanks for the response. Where's the heat shield? ---------- Thanks for the response. Where's the heat shield? Do I look under the car close by the engine? Btw it's a 02 escalade AWD 6.0l Thanks!
    Its welded to the muffler topside

Mine broke a weld and would do like yours is doing
    I took two water hose clamps(the largest the store had) and joined them together and wrapped the whole thing around the muffler then tightened it tight

No more rattling

I have the truck on the ramps but I can't find the heat shield. Can someone tell me where exactly is it located? Thanks!!!

I have the truck on the ramps but I can't find the heat shield. Can someone tell me where exactly is it located? Thanks!!!
    It should be on the muffler

I'm confused. Is the heat shield on the muffler in the rear? Or on the front of the exhsust? The sound is in the front. Sounds like more on the driver side of the engine.

I'm confused. Is the heat shield on the muffler in the rear? Or on the front of the exhsust? The sound is in the front. Sounds like more on the driver side of the engine.
    The shield is on the muffler in the rear

I had the same issue with the sound

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade EXT

It could also be broken exhaust manifold bolts. That is a common problem with these trucks. When the manifolds heat up the sound tends to go away. Check all the bolts from the manifolds to the cylinder heads on drivers and passenger sides. There is a replacement stud kit available and also a "clamp" type fix that attaches to the manifold to clamp it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
    It could also be broken exhaust manifold bolts. That is a common problem with these trucks. When the manifolds heat up the sound tends to go away. Check all the bolts from the manifolds to the cylinder heads on drivers and passenger sides. There is a replacement stud kit available and also a "clamp" type fix that attaches to the manifold to clamp it down.
    I didn't think about that.. I will definitely check. My stepson had an f150 that made the same fluttering sound when he accelerated and it was the bolts on the manifold that were bad. So the exhaust was escaping at that connection thus the fluttering sound. Where can I buy that kit? It shouldn't be too bad to do since the bolts are broken. Just add the new gasket and slip on bolts and tighten. But I will check to see if that is the problem prior to purchasing anything..
    Thanks for the info!!

Here's a link to the clamp down type fix

http://kralautoparts.com/index.html

And here's a thread where guys have replaced the bolts with a stud kit

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...old-bolts.html

Retrax. Thanks! Mine started with a ticking sound. I assumed one of the valves needed adjusting. Then it evolved to the fluttering sound. And from that thread you sent me that's exactly what is happening. Sure enough two bolts on the manifold are broken on the driver side!! UGH.. It's not an easy fix and of course, I will have to do the job since we don't have 1000.00 for someone else to fix it. It doesn't seem too bad to do but, I'm not a mechanic and don't have impact wrenches or a welder. So, i'm trying to figure out how I will approach this.. Sigh..

Well, if you are in a bind you could try the Kral Auto clamps. Ordering one for the front of the head and one for the rear of the head would only cost about $75.00 total for the two parts and should be a fix for that side of the engine. Unfortunately, I don't personally know anyone who has used them but it looks like a legit product. I would consider giving it a try. You probably want to get on this ASAP to avoid possible warping which can cause more expensive repair issues.

Do you know how to weld, or know someone who does? You can rent a welder inexpensively. I know the trick of welding on another bolt to the broken bolt shank (as described on the other thread) can be pretty successful to extract the bolt if there is enough sticking up above the surface of the cylinder head, otherwise you are looking at having them drilled and/or tapped for extraction by a machine shop and I don't think that can be done with the head still installed on the engine block.

If you do get all the bolts out, I wouldn't put the manifold back on with new bolts. You run the risk of the same thing happening. Apparently they should have used a larger diameter bolt. If you get some hardened studs from ARP or similar, you shouldn't have the issue again.

One more thing, your rocker arms should not make any valve train noise unless a rocker is broken. These engines have hydraulic lifters ( not solid lifters ) so the push rod adjustment to set valve lash when the cylinder head is installed should not need to be messed with after the initial instal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.