2 problems (Water at base of drivers chair /// 3rd row seat rattles)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2 problems (Water at base of drivers chair /// 3rd row seat rattles) in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi I have a 2004 ESV, i have 2 problems (1 may not be an issue). Drivers chair front base ...
    SFX Group is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV Platinum 2004 ::: BMW 750iL 2000

2 problems (Water at base of drivers chair /// 3rd row seat rattles)

Hi

I have a 2004 ESV, i have 2 problems (1 may not be an issue).

Drivers chair front base of mat water:
    The base of the floor mat on the drivers side is wet, i do have the orginal mats in the car, it has been very wet out so i am not sure if this acculiltion of water over 4 weeks as it does "run down" at the sill by the drivers seat, it has been doing it many years as that part of the carpet is darker. As i am in Canada we do get snow, this truck has never had weathertech mats in it (which i am planning on buying to stop water like this), so the quesiton is:

Is this a water in gress point (i cant see any issue with the door, however the hingers have warn (how do i change these as it drops when open). Or is this a sunroof drain pipe issue (diuesnt seem wet enough if it is).

3rd row seat rattle:
    When i go over certian size holes in the road i get a "knock" at the back somewhere, i thougth it might have been the spare wheel, however on fodling the 3rd row seat down then forward being held by that special arm to keep it forward) the noise isnt there. The seat is locked down well when its folded back to a using position, anyone else noticed thjis issue?

Many Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

V-swagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Fleetwood Brougham, 2002 DTS, 2011 CTS-V wagon
    I may have several suggestions to offer. First, since you're still experiencing snow and such, one of the sunroof drains could be froze or partially blocked allowing some of the melting snow to enter. Second, it's possible for water to wick in from the bolt for the seat base from under the vehicle if you're driving through large puddles of water. As far as the noise from the rear, if you have more than 80,000 miles on your escalade, it's possible for the rear shocks to start wearing out. It is also possible for possible a rear anti roll bar/ sway bar bushings to be worn or broke. Good luck.

Re: 2 problems (Water at base of drivers chair /// 3rd row seat rattles)

Quote Originally Posted by V-swagon View Post
    As far as the noise from the rear, if you have more than 80,000 miles on your escalade, it's possible for the rear shocks to start wearing out. It is also possible for possible a rear anti roll bar/ sway bar bushings to be worn or broke. Good luck.
    The above sounds like solid advice, however if i roll the rear seat forward (fold flat, then roll forward) the noise vanishes, so unless the rear bushes are that sensitive to weight distribution, it cant be any running gear. I will be testing the further as it gets warmer (run a path, roll seat forward, run path again and do this 3 times to confirm its really the reat seat, but i think it is.

I have just thought, the rear ride height is playing up, could the suspension being to hard do this same thing? (it pumps and i have a warning telling me the suspension is playing up, i have a code reader i need to register to get the codes for this, will open a new thread for that)

The water, well i am not sure it wasnt the mat (the ones that come with the truck) holding the water, ive pulled the mat out, i am going to get a weathertech front mat as its going to be rainig alot in the next 1-2 months. It appears to have always just had those mats and nothing more, the carpet wasnt soaked in water, not enough to pull it out with a wet and dry vac.

The truck is 160000 (160k) miles

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by SFX Group
    The above sounds like solid advice, however if i roll the rear seat forward (fold flat, then roll forward) the noise vanishes, so unless the rear bushes are that sensitive to weight distribution, it cant be any running gear. I will be testing the further as it gets warmer (run a path, roll seat forward, run path again and do this 3 times to confirm its really the reat seat, but i think it is. I have just thought, the rear ride height is playing up, could the suspension being to hard do this same thing? (it pumps and i have a warning telling me the suspension is playing up, i have a code reader i need to register to get the codes for this, will open a new thread for that) The water, well i am not sure it wasnt the mat (the ones that come with the truck) holding the water, ive pulled the mat out, i am going to get a weathertech front mat as its going to be rainig alot in the next 1-2 months. It appears to have always just had those mats and nothing more, the carpet wasnt soaked in water, not enough to pull it out with a wet and dry vac. The truck is 160000 (160k) miles
    I would suspect the seat being loose causing the squeak(my third row seats did this till I removed them)

The ride control system would throw a code in the system(likely the compressor)

The water leak could be a weather striping seal bad(either door or sun roof)or not sealing properly

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    The ride control system would throw a code in the system(likely the compressor)
    I have warnings on the dash alot, i need to read the codes, the compressor is working (ride is very hard at the back, so i would assume its just pumping up then the system isnt getting a response when it should), i will open a new thread once i get the codes, at least the compressor was replaced (or refurbised) then the codes started (i was told).

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    The water leak could be a weather striping seal bad(either door or sun roof)or not sealing properly
    Waterleak i have no idea yet, its only the drivers side, i have cleaned the carpet (its stained abit and was when i looked at it), the over mat i have in here at the moment, i want it to dry out fully and i will get getting some waterproof mat for the truck as i know water can have alot of problems, especially snow (we shouldn't be getting more now).

Quote Originally Posted by SFX Group
    I have warnings on the dash alot, i need to read the codes, the compressor is working (ride is very hard at the back, so i would assume its just pumping up then the system isnt getting a response when it should), i will open a new thread once i get the codes, at least the compressor was replaced (or refurbised) then the codes started (i was told). Waterleak i have no idea yet, its only the drivers side, i have cleaned the carpet (its stained abit and was when i looked at it), the over mat i have in here at the moment, i want it to dry out fully and i will get getting some waterproof mat for the truck as i know water can have alot of problems, especially snow (we shouldn't be getting more now).
    Sounds like the compressor isn't venting out the air in the shocks and they are stiff because of it
    Still need the codes to help more

I know how it feels on water leaks(my previous car did this) if you can when its warmer try some water sprayed over the truck(a car wash would work for this) while watching inside the truck to see where its coming in at
    I know on my car it was near the drivers side strut tower(never got it fixed) but i think its likely a weather stripping issue

UPDATE

I might have stopped the "leak".

The drivers side door seal at the top where it starts to fold do the pillar by the window (at the top of the red line) was bent out from the frame, i pulled about 12inches of seal off the frame and bent the side back in (as its wire stiffened), then pushed it back on the frame.

The location was right above where the wet patch was so i am not sure if it was dripping (bottom of the rear line), i didnt see water marks on the seal or was it allowing water to run inside the seal channel down to the carpet. However since i have done this and pulled a wet vac (there wasnt much water just very damp and wet to the touch), its not getting any wetter and almost dry, i get condensation on the back of the original oEM car mats.

I have to let it air (with no driver mat) to fully dry.

See pic below

UPDATE (not fixed)

Leak is still there, we had ALOT of rain this afternoon, so i am not sure if this was due to the rain OR the driving home (water flooding over the windows when drivng down the road in places). However based on the fact that it would dry almost, i think its a leak all the time thats slow (not based on driving) as most times the carpet will get wet back on the upper mat, the carpet itself itsnt wet to the touch.

See picture below, its right at the base on the drivers side.

I dont know if its:
    Wheels arch seal
    Door seal
    Drain from the sun roof (i think this)
    Water ingress from outside when driving (i dont think its this).

How do i get cover to the left side of the drivers feet off? (part with a red arrow).

I know the door sill is a pop in place deal(had to remove mine to install my infinity speakers)

Not sure on the kick panel but. It could also be a pop in place deal(haven't had to remove mine)

If its from the top of the door and working its way down the inner part of the door would be wet/moist

I remember on my previous car it came in near the strut tower and by the bcm of the car(not fun)so I know how you are feeling right now

Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L

For the seat rattling, you could try wrapping electrical tape or something around the bars in the floor that the 3rd row seat clips onto. My truck has some kind of plastic coating on these from the factory (I assume to keep rattles down), although it's coming off. The tape will probably get goopy and come off after a couple months in the summer, but at least that way you could nail down the source of the noise and find a more permanent solution. Possibly some thin rubber tubing slit down one side and slipped over the bars?

For the leak - how do your door hinges look? Is it possible that your door is sagging slightly, allowing water to come in between the seal and the door? My driver's side door hinge is trashed, and I get a drip coming in at times. The only reason it's not more is because the PO put some home depot weatherstripping stuff in place to keep water out. The hinge is on my list of fixes to do this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
    Possibly some thin rubber tubing slit down one side and slipped over the bars?
    Good idea, will try this over the next few weeks,

Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
    how do your door hinges look?
    There trash, its dropped alot, the rubber stopper at the base of the drivers door that engages with the frame hits the lower seal first (not enough to damage but you can see it has a round dent in it), i intend to resolve this with new hinges from here http://www.hingekits.com/search/Cadi...20ESV/4%20Door

Can order them pre-painted as well to make the body work (image below)

However i found the source of the leak (see above image) its coming in behind the kick panel, now this doesnt mean its not the door seal but i dont see any wet marks on the seal itself, might be between the seal and frame but the door wouldn't effect that.

Worn hinges can allow water in pass the seal so don't rule it out fully(my driver door is starting to show signs of worn hinges)

Keep us updated on how it goes

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.