coolant leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By phattruk
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, coolant leak in Cadillac Escalade Forums; i have an '04 escalade with 72k miles. i've developed a slow coolant leak and finally traced it to the ...
    phattruk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

coolant leak

i have an '04 escalade with 72k miles. i've developed a slow coolant leak and finally traced it to the 'Y' fitting on the hose coming out of the block and going to the recovery
    tank and the firewall. Question: the hose has a black plastic clamp-like ring on it. do i break that piece or
    disconnect the white plastic connector (what is the special tool for that)?
    Attached Images
    viperhead likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BiggDaddyMJL is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: coolant leak

It's a strange special looking clamp for sure. It almost reminds me of a shrink to fit clamp which being that it's used on a coolant line it makes sense. They expand and contract with temperature i.e. a hot coolant hose the clamp will expand and when the line cools it contracts. Idea is that it is supposed to keep tension all the time with the temperature fluctuations. Let me ask you this does it fit over the hose as in does the rubber hose extend past the clamp or is the clamp pressed into the hose end?

In any event if it is a shrink to fit style clamp they have to be cut off and are installed using a heat gun. Not reusable. The pic almost makes it look like it's a 2 piece clamp that snaps together. Are you positive it's leaking at the hose and not the white plastic fitting? If it is it's a simple fix that I don't see why you couldn't just use a different hose clamp if you don't want to mess with heat guns etc. Cut the clamp, pull hose off fitting, slide a new clamp on hose, slide hose back on to fitting, and tighten clamp. I'd probably pick a bolt clamp over a common worm gear clamp as they provide better 360 degree sealing. You'll need to be careful not to crack the white fitting from over tightening.

----------

Here's some links. I use McMaster-Carr all the time for personal and work.

Shrink clamps and cutting tool for removal: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=r3yav9

Various bolt clamps: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=r3ybxq

Apparently the links don't take you to the exact page. Just click on the corresponding items.

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Just pass your arrow on the white part simply push the clips in by hand to unclip, it may be fatigued and possibly break, i would replace the T and the hose

flyingdutchman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

altacarp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS, 79 Eldo, 93 Sedan Deville, 2005 Escalade

If you go to the dealer make sure they give you the right tee because the highly trained and knowledgeable GM parts expert told me both tees were the same part number ended up trying to sell me the white tee when I needed the black one. Ended up just replacing a 15 cent 5/8 x 3/4 O ring on the leaky fitting at the bottom of the tee where the steel rear coolant lines snap in. FYI the difference between them is that the black tee is not a true tee it is slightly offset towards the front of the vehicle essentially forming a Y. The white tee is in fact a true tee and you can easily remove either of them with no tools by squeezing together the white plastic clips at the firewall. The part you are almost pointing at the black clamp stays with the hose and the hose is removed off the tee a little further back by squeezing the clips together and pulling the whole fitting clips and all off the tee. Keep the white connectors with the tee and snap them lines into the the quick connect fittings. If they break you can get little pkgs of them at the parts stores.

Johnnyd75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

I had the same issue my car. If the plastic clip is broken or even if it is just cracked it will leak and you will have to replace it. Mine was cracked and leaked really slow, just enough to cause a smell as the antifreeze hit the engine, so I broke it the rest of the way off and used a regular hose clamp in it's place, problem was solved.

LA Dawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1964 Cadillac DeVille convertible & 2005 Cadillac Escalade

Spent $227.50 on this replacement of both pieces (they come packaged together) last Thursday, drove total of 1,000 miles fr/sat/sun, home now, well worth mechanic putting it in, woohoo!

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    If they are oem they are 2 different part numbers and are not packaged together.. The white one p/n 15055343 and the black one p/n 15055342

thanks guys. the leak i have is not in that area, but the entire hose assembly is sold in one piece. my leak is where the 'Y' fitting is near the engine. It's not leaking from the fittings in my pic so if i can help it i don't want to damage those fittings.
    I've tried reaching in there and squeezing the fitting right after the black clamp with no luck. Big hands. I'll give it a try again.

altacarp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS, 79 Eldo, 93 Sedan Deville, 2005 Escalade

Might be easier if you push the tee back towards the fire wall good and then squeeze the two clips together and pull it forward just found it was a lot easier to disconnect the whole thing at the firewall then it was to pull the heater hose off the tee. It was easier to replace the Oring and educate the parts department at the stealership that wanted like $40 bucks for the tee which since it wasn't cracked replacing the Oring was the fix. I disconnected the steel rear heat line first so I could turn the tee to get the best squeeze on the clips. The trucks without the rear heat use a different fitting that requires the white ring line removal tool set instead of just the quick connect like we have.

i finally got tired of smelling anti freeze . i just cut off the heat shrink fitting at the firewall and replaced the heater hoses and all the pressure clamps with the screw clamps. I think it was the pressure clamps themselves that were actually bad as i had the same issue with my lower radiator hoise.
    thnaks for the help guys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.