Rear seat heating (2004 ESV Platinum), air direction question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Rear seat heating (2004 ESV Platinum), air direction question in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi I have 3 dials above the main rear view mirror: - Fan speed - Temperature - Air direction Fan ...
    SFX Group is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV Platinum 2004 ::: BMW 750iL 2000

Rear seat heating (2004 ESV Platinum), air direction question

Hi

I have 3 dials above the main rear view mirror:

- Fan speed
    - Temperature
    - Air direction

Fan speed works, same as temperature, however i am not sure about the air direction, no matter what position this is i always get air out of the roof vents, i assume i shouldn't?

Where are the "feet" vents for the rear seats?

Many Thanks
    Ashley

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

michigansilver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 EXT

Re: Rear seat heating (2004 ESV Platinum), air direction question

By the rear seats do you mean the 3rd seats.

Quote Originally Posted by michigansilver View Post
    By the rear seats do you mean the 3rd seats.
    as in the control above the front mirror if turned to "feet" where will the air come out in the rear of the truck? I know the "head" locations as i can see them in the roof, i cant see the feet locations.

michigansilver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 EXT

My guess is the the third row seats does not have a floor setting, but the 2nd row seat have heat vent under the front seat. But look at the passenger side wheel thump you should see a vent

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    The vent control works the air for the rear hvac between the roof vents and the floor vent just behind the second row passenger side seat

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    The vent control works the air for the rear hvac between the roof vents and the floor vent just behind the second row passenger side seat
    Twisting that control doesnt seem to stop the air coming out the top vents when fully on the feet, I assume there is a motor (flap control gone) or something else. Ive not tried from the rear seat control yet, will test that over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SFX Group
    Twisting that control doesnt seem to stop the air coming out the top vents when fully on the feet, I assume there is a motor (flap control gone) or something else. Ive not tried from the rear seat control yet, will test that over the weekend.
    I have a how to with pics on how to service the rear hvac system in the FAQ section

If you want you can email me and I will help out with the issue(I can send pics to you easier then posting them here)
    I have had this issue before except mine went full cold in the middle of winter(my mom and Grandmaw wasn't pleased with it throwing out ice cold air when it should have been heat) not fun

Heres an odd thing, got in the truck this morning to test the rear air, now the direction control works, although i think heat "may" be an issue. I bet this has something to do with the very cold tempratures we are having.

-10oC and the rear wiper doesnt work (not sure if its frozen in), however when it does work its VERY VERY slow, then when its up to -3oC (still ice temperatures), seems to work fine. Using that as a reference point i wonder if the air direction / heat flaps are doing the same sort of thing.

I am going to leave this until the weather breaks then re-visit the heat / direction rear air problem and see if its still a "problem". I also wonder how good the coolant lines are to this unit, are they under pressure like the engine?

That said i have felt this very hot when its was very cold out, but again ive not fully tested it yet.

Heres an odd thing, got in the truck this morning to test the rear air, now the direction control works, although i think heat "may" be an issue. I bet this has something to do with the very cold tempratures we are having. -10oC and the rear wiper doesnt work (not sure if its frozen in), however when it does work its VERY VERY slow, then when its up to -3oC (still ice temperatures), seems to work fine. Using that as a reference point i wonder if the air direction / heat flaps are doing the same sort of thing. I am going to leave this until the weather breaks then re-visit the heat / direction rear air problem and see if its still a "problem". I also wonder how good the coolant lines are to this unit, are they under pressure like the engine? That said i have felt this very hot when its was very cold out, but again ive not fully tested it yet.
    Could be the brain module for the rear hvac gone bad
    Not sure till you open it up and check it fully

Could be the brain module for the rear hvac gone bad
    Not sure till you open it up and check it fully
    How am I going to "test" the module itself? (It wont look bad will it)?

How am I going to "test" the module itself? (It wont look bad will it)?
    Only way is to see if the actuators respond to the controls and get the codes pulled with the tech-2 if they don't respond

Only way is to see if the actuators respond to the controls and get the codes pulled with the tech-2 if they don't respond
    Sounds like I need to invest in a TECH2 or equivalent then, will look in to this.

Sounds like I need to invest in a TECH2 or equivalent then, will look in to this.
    I didn't have one when mine failed but I know a local dealer that has one

I have thought of getting one but the price is crazy for them (there is also fakes being sold on eBay)

Is the body error codes inside the "Boby Control Module", i assume there is 1 module that controls all this stuff (like the rear HVAC, rear entertainment), looking at 3rd party code readers, i can see what they read, all are OBD2, however want to check before i buy one.

Is the body error codes inside the "Boby Control Module", i assume there is 1 module that controls all this stuff (like the rear HVAC, rear entertainment), looking at 3rd party code readers, i can see what they read, all are OBD2, however want to check before i buy one.
    I hate to break it to you but most code scanners will not interface with the hvac system

At the most(unless you spend crazy money) will read limited bcm codes and all PCM codes(the hvac systems have separate modules that interface with the bcm via the class-2 data bus)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.