oil pressure problem
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, oil pressure problem in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello, We are from The Netherlands and we have a Escalade EXT 2005. We have new oil, He is clean ...
  1. #1
    Iwan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT ' 06
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6

    oil pressure problem

    Hello,

    We are from The Netherlands and we have a Escalade EXT 2005.
    We have new oil, He is clean from the inside.

    When we driving there is no problem, oil pressure is max.
    But when we use the kick-down and he do 2 gears down, the pressure going to zero, but is coming back in 5 sec.
    What can be the problem ??

    Regards Iwan

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,640
    Sounds like the stepper motor in the cluster needs replacing

  4. #3
    michigansilver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 EXT
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    37

    Re: oil pressure problem

    When it is idling not moving what is the oil pressure, and does the chimes(bells) come on when you down shift. ?

  5. #4
    jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sunny South Carolina
    Posts
    629

    Re: oil pressure problem

    Iwan, welcome to the forum.

    When the gauge drops to zero can you hear any faint ticking from the engine compartment?

  6. #5
    Iwan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT ' 06
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6

    Re: oil pressure problem

    Hello,

    When the car is not moving or in P the oil pressure is max ( 60) and when we are going over to drive he is still max.
    Only when we are driving 30mph or more and we using the kick-down ( to accelerate Fast) then will get the oil pressure down in the gauge for a 5 sec and then get to normal.
    We have the car now 5 years and normally we don't us the kick-down but now we see it for the first time.
    We have the car a oil flush but that help not.

    When the oil pressure going to zero the cars driving perfect and we get no message on the gauge.

  7. #6
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwan
    Hello, When the car is not moving or in P the oil pressure is max ( 60) and when we are going over to drive he is still max. Only when we are driving 30mph or more and we using the kick-down ( to accelerate Fast) then will get the oil pressure down in the gauge for a 5 sec and then get to normal. We have the car now 5 years and normally we don't us the kick-down but now we see it for the first time. We have the car a oil flush but that help not. When the oil pressure going to zero the cars driving perfect and we get no message on the gauge.
    No messages would rule out the sender being bad

    The stepper motors in the cluster were know to fail and give either bad readings or not show anything at all

  8. #7
    jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sunny South Carolina
    Posts
    629

    Re: oil pressure problem

    I agree, I am leaning more towards the stepper motor as well.

    Many members here including myself have replaced the stepper motors in our dash clusters. Fairly easy DIY if you can solder. Also the stepper motors are inexpensive maybe your ebay over there may have them.

  9. #8
    michigansilver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 EXT
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    37

    Re: oil pressure problem

    I leaning toward a stepper motor also, as a general rule if the gauge does not return to zero when you turn it off the stepper motor is bad. If it moves from zero to max it's the pressure sensor.

  10. #9
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,640
    Quote Originally Posted by michigansilver
    I leaning toward a stepper motor also, as a general rule if the gauge does not return to zero when you turn it off the stepper motor is bad. If it moves from zero to max it's the pressure sensor.
    True but the stepper motors are cheaper then the sensor and don't take as much time to replace if you know what to do

  11. #10
    michigansilver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 EXT
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    37

    Re: oil pressure problem

    Simply stating how to tell the original poster which part is broken. Repair time and cost has nothing to do with.

  12. #11
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,640
    Quote Originally Posted by michigansilver
    Simply stating how to tell the original poster which part is broken. Repair time and cost has nothing to do with.
    I understand

  13. #12
    Iwan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT ' 06
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6

    Re: oil pressure problem

    When the sensor is bad, you get then normally a message on the dash cluster ?? when he goes to zero.
    We get no error on the cluster, only that the gauge go to zero an after 3-5 sec to max.
    So when i read this all, i will do first the stepper motor and when it not going away, we change the sensor.

    Thanks again.

  14. #13
    jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sunny South Carolina
    Posts
    629

    Re: oil pressure problem

    Iwan, I am not 100% positive but I don't think so on the oil pressure sensor.

    From what I have read here over the years I believe that only 1 sensor has been the cause of the gauge showing zero at times. The majority of times is the stepper motors. Here is a tip I learned the hard way, replace all the stepper motors at the same time, although they are fairly easy to replace, why go through the hassles of removing the dash cluster more than once.

    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

  15. #14
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,640
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv
    Iwan, I am not 100% positive but I don't think so on the oil pressure sensor. From what I have read here over the years I believe that only 1 sensor has been the cause of the gauge showing zero at times. The majority of times is the stepper motors. Here is a tip I learned the hard way, replace all the stepper motors at the same time, although they are fairly easy to replace, why go through the hassles of removing the dash cluster more than once. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    I will put it like this
    I have been suffering the low oil pressure message(its the sender no doubt) but after the engine warms up the message goes away and doesn't return unless my truck has sat for a long period or overnight (then its a but its a hit or miss if I do get the message or not plus my oil pressure gauge doesn't change rapidly like the op stated his does)

    It hasn't done like the op mentioned his did hence why I am leaning more towards the stepper motor and not the sensor(waiting for mine to fail fully before ripping into it)

  16. #15
    Iwan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT ' 06
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6

    Re: oil pressure problem

    Is it normally that the oil pressure gauge go to max only when power on is?? and the engine is out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting