2005 Escalade Base with 20" wheels rides poor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2005 Escalade Base with 20" wheels rides poor in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello everyone, I have a 2005 Escalade base that someone has added after market 20 inch wheels with the Cadillac ...
    hermsky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade Black, 2002 Eldorado ETC White

2005 Escalade Base with 20" wheels rides poor

Hello everyone,
    I have a 2005 Escalade base that someone has added after market 20 inch wheels with the Cadillac emblems on them.

Looks great but rides terrible compared to my 2001 Tahoe with Auto Ride.

Is there a computer adjustment for tire size other than adjusting the speedometer, that will smooth out the ride?

I am running 30PSI in the tires to make the ride more acceptable instead of bouncing down the street.

Has anyone else had problems with 20' tires on an escalade that originally came with 17 " wheels?

Thanks for your help!
    :yup:

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    That's a side effect of larger rims

I have stock 17's on my truck and its smooth

Re: 2005 Escalade Base with 20" wheels rides poor

Thanks for your reply!

Even on this size of a car? WOW.

I was afraid of that.

I may have to find a set of factory 17 inch wheels and tires and go back to standard.

I guess there were some changes to the suspension for the newer escalades coming out with 20" wheels.

Best regards,
    Scott

Silent_Assasin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EXT - Rip Tide Blue

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    That's a side effect of larger rims

I have stock 17's on my truck and its smooth
    I highly disagree with this being the case! I ride on 24s all summer long and there is ZERO difference in my 24s to my stock wheels, both ride VERY nice and smooth! .. I would have to say hermsky's problem is beyond the wheels and more in the suspension.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

How many miles on your truck?

My 05 rode pretty poorly until I started replacing suspension and steering components. I have 90K miles on it now with all the replacement parts coming in the last 1000 miles.

I've got factory 20s to put on in the spring after I finish the suspension and steering rebuild. between the front and rear the only original pieces are the steering gear and the upper and lower control arms in the front, those are getting swapped out as soon as it warms up. The truck rides almost like a new one now, very smooth compared to before. I suspect the front control arms will finish it out for as close to a new ride as I can manage.

The upper control arms on mine are pretty shot, likely from living in an area with snow and salt use. All the bushing I can see on the upper arm are cracked pretty badly. Funny thing is the lowers don't look too bad at all, I already have the lower arms so I'll be swapping them out while I've got the front end disassembled.

20s are going to ride a little more harsh than the 17s, but there is still quite a bit of rubber between you and the road. It shouldn't be that harsh.

cra_fizzer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 ESV Platinum

I have factory 20s on mine and the ride was very wallowy until I put on new tires with a higher load rating. ie stiffer sidewalls.

Silent_Assasin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EXT - Rip Tide Blue

unless your riding on tiny little car tires on your 20s there is NO WAY that a 20 inch rims would change the ride on your escalade! I can tell zero difference in the ride from my factory wheels compared to my 24s granted i still have a bigger tire on the 24s the only difference is they rub a tiny tiny bit when i have the wheel turned really sharp! more when in reverse!

LA Dawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1964 Cadillac DeVille convertible & 2005 Cadillac Escalade

I have added custom 20's on my 05 esv w/o a ride problem, believe the tires are 305's with 12 inch foot print, thing corners on rails...took 17's off, too. Just my two cents.....

SQUIRREL MASTER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

My brother has had the 2004 ESV since 03, and the factory wheels were 17". He added some 20" dubz, with proper alignment and such, and I couldn't tell a difference driving it. My 02 has 26's on it, and it's just as smooth as his with the 20's. My tire size is 305/30vr/26 if I'm not mistaken, but no real problems. To be finicky, I can tell a small difference when traveling over fine, narrow bumps, but other than that, same.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by hermsky View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have a 2005 Escalade base that someone has added after market 20 inch wheels with the Cadillac emblems on them.

Looks great but rides terrible compared to my 2001 Tahoe with Auto Ride.

Is there a computer adjustment for tire size other than adjusting the speedometer, that will smooth out the ride?

I am running 30PSI in the tires to make the ride more acceptable instead of bouncing down the street.

Has anyone else had problems with 20' tires on an escalade that originally came with 17 " wheels?

Thanks for your help!
    Where are you experiencing the discomfort exactly? Highway? Rough terrain or gravel? Over bumps? Or simply, all together?

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

It sounds more like a problem with the autoride system then a problem with the wheels. Are you sure autoride is working? No dash errors? Does the compressor run and are the air shocks inflated?

Hi and thanks to all!!

I finally got under there myself and see the right shock is covered and apparently leaking. Also the pitman Idler appear a bit loose.

Also see the Torsion Bar adjustments are not even. I wonder if the guy before me tightened them up to stiffen the ride??

Guess I will see if I can replace the shocks and Pitman Idler to see if that helps.

Just have to see if I am up to the challenge of changing these myself then get an alignment and set the ride height.

I really appreciate the comments and help!

Scott

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    What your describing is called Chevy lean

Do a google search on it

Now in order to adjust them you need keys for them

Leaking shocks is not good

bigirb2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 escalade

i have 26`s and rides like a dream. bet u have bad tires or suspention issues

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.