RPMs Jumping mainly in 4th gear
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, RPMs Jumping mainly in 4th gear in Cadillac Escalade Forums; About 10 months ago, I had my Transmission rebuilt. 2005 Escalade, 5.3L V8 2WD, 170k. About a month ago , ...
  1. #1
    Lepper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Savannah
    Posts
    21

    RPMs Jumping mainly in 4th gear

    About 10 months ago, I had my Transmission rebuilt. 2005 Escalade, 5.3L V8 2WD, 170k. About a month ago , I was driving
    and had to get the car towed because of hole in the transmission coolant line. The same guy who did the transmission rebuilding fixed the hole at no cost. Ever since I got it back, the RPMs have been jumping. I checked fluid and its good. It happens right when I get to 4th gear at about 50 MPH and if I stop accelerating , it obviously stops, but 5 seconds into reaccelerating it starts to bounce between 1500 and 2000 RPMs. It doesn't really bounce in the lower gears but will do some hard shifting if I accelerate too hard out of sharp turns. Oil change was 1500 miles ago with Mobil 1 High Millage Fully Synthetic. From the reading that I have been doing these forums it could , it seems to be it could be a TCC problem or Air filter issue. I am no expert, but I can do the essentials like fluid changing and top offs. I also have a theory, because I topped off my fluid recently with
    DEX 3, less then half a quarts worth, and I am thinking maybe the mechanic filled it up with DEX 6 and it is diluted possibly or some gunk is built up. I don't know, I need some answers though as it is the only vehicle in the household. Thank you

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Lepper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Savannah
    Posts
    21

    Re: RPMs Jumping mainly in 4th gear

    No one has a solution? I'm thinking about doing a trans fluid change to see if it makes a difference.

  4. #3
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepper
    No one has a solution? I'm thinking about doing a trans fluid change to see if it makes a difference.
    Mine did almost like this and a fluid change fixed it

  5. #4
    bigirb2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Age
    29
    Posts
    107

    Re: RPMs Jumping mainly in 4th gear

    i did a fluid change and corvette servo. dont know which one fixed it but i sure liked the corvette servo. its very easy to install

  6. #5
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,560
    Quote Originally Posted by bigirb2002
    i did a fluid change and corvette servo. dont know which one fixed it but i sure liked the corvette servo. its very easy to install
    It was likely the servo that was bad

  7. #6
    Lepper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Savannah
    Posts
    21

    Re: RPMs Jumping mainly in 4th gear

    Today I was driving and the check engine light came on finally. Engine isn't jumping as bad, but like I said the light is now on.

  8. #7
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepper
    Today I was driving and the check engine light came on finally. Engine isn't jumping as bad, but like I said the light is now on.
    If you have a code reader and can get the codes I can help more

  9. #8
    Lepper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Savannah
    Posts
    21

    Re: RPMs Jumping mainly in 4th gear

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    If you have a code reader and can get the codes I can help more
    dont have a reader :/

    I will have to find a friend with one or go to a GM place.

  10. #9
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepper
    dont have a reader :/ I will have to find a friend with one or go to a GM place.
    I think any parts place can do it and they are free so try there first before going to a dealer

  11. #10
    Lepper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Savannah
    Posts
    21

    Re: RPMs Jumping mainly in 4th gear

    I filled it up with 1.25 quarts of DEX 6 and it fixed the issue strangely enough. One of my hoses are dripping a very small amount of trans fluid, which might over time make have to do top offs more often. I am about to get new brakes and will get new hoses when I do. I think that the mechanic didn't top off the fluid when he patched the hole in the line. I still get an occasational rpm jump but way more mid and very rarely it has been doing it. Engine light is still on.

  12. #11
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepper
    I filled it up with 1.25 quarts of DEX 6 and it fixed the issue strangely enough. One of my hoses are dripping a very small amount of trans fluid, which might over time make have to do top offs more often. I am about to get new brakes and will get new hoses when I do. I think that the mechanic didn't top off the fluid when he patched the hole in the line. I still get an occasational rpm jump but way more mid and very rarely it has been doing it. Engine light is still on.
    I work the tranny through the gears before I check the fluid level in the tranny starting at 1 and working back to park

  13. #12
    Lepper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Savannah
    Posts
    21

    Re: RPMs Jumping mainly in 4th gear

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I work the tranny through the gears before I check the fluid level in the tranny starting at 1 and working back to park

    Did that too . Especially right afterwards and drove on each gear for a few minutes each. Stay tuned folks haha.

  14. #13
    Lepper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Savannah
    Posts
    21

    Re: RPMs Jumping mainly in 4th gear

    Engine check light has turned off and transmissions seems back to normal strangely enough. Mechanic didn't top off transmission. I just have to get my brakes done now.

  15. #14
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepper
    Engine check light has turned off and transmissions seems back to normal strangely enough. Mechanic didn't top off transmission. I just have to get my brakes done now.
    Could have been a intermittent code still is best to pull the code to be safe from possible problems later on

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting