A Good Scan Tool???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, A Good Scan Tool??? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good scan tool, not just a code reader. I'm planning on keeping ...
    04seville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville SLS

A Good Scan Tool???

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good scan tool, not just a code reader. I'm planning on keeping my caddies for awhile and would like to diagnose some of these lights without having to go to the dealer every time. My 02 Escalade currently has a service stability control light on, I'm sure it's the rear shocks, but a scan tool would be a lot of help in pin pointing everything without having to guess. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Sounds like a sensor

Any gm dealer has a tech-2 so a trip wouldn't hurt

Charlie5280 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: A Good Scan Tool???

Honestly, the ELM-327 with the TorquePro app works damn well for anything. They cost about 10 bucks on eBay, and the app is $5.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie5280
    Honestly, the ELM-327 with the TorquePro app works damn well for anything. They cost about 10 bucks on eBay, and the app is $5.
    I have seen those on amazon(the ones on eBay don't work with my iPhone)

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

Only a Tech II can read the SCM codes and they are very expensive.

michigansilver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 EXT

Like everyone else said they can get expensive.
    I use a obdlink mx bluetooth adapter and DashCommand on my droid smart phone with the gm enhanced addon. I also use ScanXL Pro on my laptop with the same adapter and added the GM enhanced diagnostic product. A tech 2 is way too much for anyone other than a Professional.

04seville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville SLS

Gotcha.......thanks for all the responses

Quote Originally Posted by michigansilver
    Like everyone else said they can get expensive. I use a obdlink mx bluetooth adapter and DashCommand on my droid smart phone with the gm enhanced addon. I also use ScanXL Pro on my laptop with the same adapter and added the GM enhanced diagnostic product. A tech 2 is way too much for anyone other than a Professional.
    True but when you consider how much you would save in dealer fees it would pay itself off in no time

Since I know the guys at my
    Local gm dealer they don't charge me to get codes pulled

GaExt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT
    Caddiman what all do your obdlink and dsah command do? Is it just a code reader. I have a basic code reader from inova and cen tech. They work ok for what I always needed it for. Also do anyone has a recommendation for one with abs access.?

I think you were referring to me. The basic dash command will read the generic codes, for the ABS,Airbags, Tranny and Fuel Pump codes you need the GM addon which was 10.00 the last time I looked.

Now the ScanXL product was about 80.00 for the GM enhanced addon.

They are both readers not programmers like a tech 2

Quote Originally Posted by GaExt
    Caddiman what all do your obdlink and dsah command do? Is it just a code reader. I have a basic code reader from inova and cen tech. They work ok for what I always needed it for. Also do anyone has a recommendation for one with abs access.?
    Mine is not like the gm tech-2

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by michigansilver View Post
    Like everyone else said they can get expensive.
    I use a obdlink mx bluetooth adapter and DashCommand on my droid smart phone with the gm enhanced addon. I also use ScanXL Pro on my laptop with the same adapter and added the GM enhanced diagnostic product. A tech 2 is way too much for anyone other than a Professional.
    If you're big into DIY then you can justify a Tech II. I've got about $2500 into my used setup and over the last 7 years it has paid for itself. I maintain 4-6 vehicles at a time so at $100 a pop for a trip to the dealer just to hook it up, it's definitely worth the cost. I've hooked the Tech II up probably 40-50 times since I've owned it for instances where I needed the advanced functionality of the tool. I also keep a cheap code reader around just to look up and clear codes when I only need to read and clear codes.

The other big advantage of the Tech II is that the service manuals reference tests and conditions for use of that tool.

I don't maintain that many cars to justify a tech 2.
    As far for manuals I get my ones from Helm Inc. I just ordered the new one on a thumb drive it covers all GM cars from 1998 to 2013

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

The real fire sale on Tech 2s was back when all the GM and Saturn dealers were closing. I bought 2 along with some other tools from a Saturn dealer.

Be aware there are fake ones out of China. Most on eBay are fakes. There are also fake MDI units. GM went after one eBay reseller here in the states. The guy got a year in jail...and a hefty fine...not for selling the actual tools..but because they had the trademarked GM logo on them.

If you have a couple of GM cars...nothing like having a Tech 2 handy. Picture shows a rare Saturn logo Tech 2.
    Attached Images

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

And another pic showing a Tech 2 into the Onstar GPS. Can't do that with a laptop.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.