A Good Scan Tool??? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, A Good Scan Tool??? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Cool Would I need one of these to figure out this issue with my seat module? I have checked the ...
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Cool

Would I need one of these to figure out this issue with my seat module?

I have checked the wiring and no bad spots yet my air bag light is on and the forward and back control is reversed(I have checked best I can without removing the seat from the truck)

My local dealer has started using a computer more and more so I may ask if they still use the hand held unit

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

Re: A Good Scan Tool???

There is a newer GM tool that interfaces with a PC. The MDI. There is a huge overlap so the Tech 2 will still be useful for awhile. That said, there are some new GM vehicles that require a MDI to access.

There are...fake MDIs on eBay. It appears GM has people watching eBay for the fake MDIs and Tech 2s and having the auctions taken down.

The Tech 2s felt like a fast laptop back in '96 when it came out. Now it feels slow..you kind of think somethings wrong..
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Logandiagnostic
    There is a newer GM tool that interfaces with a PC. The MDI. There is a huge overlap so the Tech 2 will still be useful for awhile. That said, there are some new GM vehicles that require a MDI to access. There are...fake MDIs on eBay. It appears GM has people watching eBay for the fake MDIs and Tech 2s and having the auctions taken down. The Tech 2s felt like a fast laptop back in '96 when it came out. Now it feels slow..you kind of think somethings wrong..
    That's exactly what my local dealer is using now

I wonder if they still use the tech-2 unit (I may ask when I go to get the 02 sensor replaced)

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by michigansilver View Post
    I don't maintain that many cars to justify a tech 2.
    As far for manuals I get my ones from Helm Inc. I just ordered the new one on a thumb drive it covers all GM cars from 1998 to 2013
    I thought the same thing for awhile. One DIY repair was replacing an airbag sensor for only $80 since I already had the tool. Another was replacing a factory navigation unit for only $400 (theftlock). I even transplanted a factory navigation into a model year vehicle that it wasn't an option. My 02 Trailblazer didn't have that as an option but I was able to select the Trailblazer as an 03 model and the navigation option came up in the tool. Turned it on and the factory nav came to life. It also came in very handy when I put a tuned PCM into that vehicle (cam position sensor re-learn).

Some of those things I did dealers won't even do for you.

You got all those manuals from Helm on a thumb drive? I didn't think they did that. I'm still old-school, I prefer the paper manuals. I took the leap into Audi ownership recently and the service manuals are only available on CD now and I hate it!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    That's exactly what my local dealer is using now

I wonder if they still use the tech-2 unit (I may ask when I go to get the 02 sensor replaced)
    I'm thinking the Tech II will be around until the next data bus is adopted. The Tech II has the canDI interface for CAN bus but now that the MDI is out I'm thinking they'll stop supporting the Tech II at the next data bus upgrade.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Logandiagnostic View Post
    There are...fake MDIs on eBay. It appears GM has people watching eBay for the fake MDIs and Tech 2s and having the auctions taken down.
    Good point on the fake tools. I see so much of that on eBay nowadays. Saw lots of horror stories too about people having their new $500 fake tools fail quickly only to find out they are fakes and not supported by Vetronix for repairs. These tools aren't cheap so if you're seeing auctions based out of China to buy a new $5000 tool for $500, it's a fake.

The Tech 2s felt like a fast laptop back in '96 when it came out. Now it feels slow..you kind of think somethings wrong..
    Yeah, they do seem kinda slow by today's standards. They do get the job done nicely though.

dorelse Guest

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I have seen those on amazon(the ones on eBay don't work with my iPhone)
    I have one connected to my iPhone, works great. You have to get the WiFi ELM-327, not a Bluetooth one. Its called out specifically in the iTunes App Store on the Torque Pro app.

Obviously its not as detailed as a professionals tool, but it can be nice when you just want to read a code on the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by dorelse
    I have one connected to my iPhone, works great. You have to get the WiFi ELM-327, not a Bluetooth one. Its called out specifically in the iTunes App Store on the Torque Pro app. Obviously its not as detailed as a professionals tool, but it can be nice when you just want to read a code on the dash.
    I found one ( just have to get it)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.