Opinions on used 2005 ESV Appreciated!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Opinions on used 2005 ESV Appreciated!!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Looking at a 2005 Escalade ESV that I expect to seal the deal on tomorrow. Its a Platinum AWD model ...
    dorelse is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Opinions on used 2005 ESV Appreciated!!!

Looking at a 2005 Escalade ESV that I expect to seal the deal on tomorrow.

Its a Platinum AWD model in White Diamond, 102k miles, 1 Owner, $17,900 (Asking price is way high). It runs like new, drives great. Moving over from my 2002 Avalanche as I need more leg room for the kids.

Car Fax shows a well maintained vehicle as far as I can tell. Normally, I'd want less miles and we kind of looked at this while out looking at Yukon XL's & Suburbans...but this one has me a bit intrigued.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...8678#undefined

3234_5.jpg

TIA!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    If it was me I would want service history before getting it

Re: Opinions on used 2005 ESV Appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    If it was me I would want service history before getting it
    So you don't feel the service history listed in the Carfax is enough detail?

Quote Originally Posted by dorelse
    So you don't feel the service history listed in the Carfax is enough detail?
    It doesn't show how well the truck has been took care of(recall wise)

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

I looked through the linked carfax report, on a scale of 1 (poor service history) to 10 (Great) this comes in around 5 or 6. It's mostly just regular service, not much preventative maintenance. My first problem is that it has the vehicle moving from Florida to Iowa. I tend to avoid Florida vehicles as a rule, because they can be exposed to salt air and frequent flooding. Second, although there are no accidents, one record does seem to indicate some possible bodywork;

08/02/2012 Florida Service Facility Parts requested for repair: Grille Hood

Since there are no record of accidents or insurance repair, this must have been a cash job. I would want to check the vehicle with a paint meter. Third, this record also requires followup with the dealer, it could mean anything and I would wan to know why it was done;

10/09/2012 88,190 Coast Cadillac Saab Sarasota, FL Engine/powertrain computer/module checked

Finally, I would touch this thing personally, but if you are still serious, here is my list of common problem on these vehicles;

Oil cooler lines $200
    Power steering pump $350
    Mass air flow sensor $400
    Intermediate steering shaft $300
    Complete front steering linkage $800 (moog replacements)
    All 4 auto ride shocks $1200 (monroe replacements)
    rear air compressor $300 (after market)
    HVAC interior aspirators $100
    Fuel pump $300
    Brake lines (hardline from ABS pump to soft lines) $500 (after market/varies)
    Front Differential Rebuild $1000 (after market/varies)
    Manifold Bolts (???)

Some people seem to be luckier then others, or maybe there are bad ones and good ones, but if your buying to at 100K miles and planning to keep it, I would be prepared for all of the above to fail or require replacement at some point. The best protection would be a full PPI (pre-purchase inspection) by a GM trucks expert. Oh, and the price is INSANE!

Thanks z0lt3c & 'the cadillac man', I'll take both of your advice. I can wrench to a degree on my own vehicles, but yes, some stuff I would have to pay for.

Des Moines is a weird car market, they think their inventory is made of gold, and charge like it. Typically, I try to buy out of Dallas. I saved $4k on my last purchase by heading to Texas.

Good call on the salt air. My Avy had quite of few of these same issues. I think I might just hold off for the time being. I'm breaking some of my own rules if I buy that one.

Thanks!!

SFX Group is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV Platinum 2004 ::: BMW 750iL 2000

I went ot the local dealer (in Canada) and they looked up the recall history, there wasnt any and none was done, and they could tell warranty history as well (all free)

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Mmm I disagree with the Florida vehicle complaints. If you are dealing with a reputable dealer I don't believe that you would have a problem.

Here are my two stories:

2003 Dodge Durango R/T, from reputable dealer in West Palm Beach area in 2005, beautiful vehicle, zero rust, I had it a number of years here in South Carolina, I sold it with zero rust and zero issues.

2005 Jaguar S Type, from reputable dealer in the Sarasota area in 2008, same basic story, have owned the vehicle well over five years wifey refuses to part with it, zero rust.

Just my 2 cents on Florida vehicles. I would rather deal with a well maintained "Florida" vehicle than purchase a "Northern" vehicle any day of the week. My Escalade is 100% South Carolina vehicle. We have had it to the beach many, many times and to the mountains many, many times in the winter over many years where there is snow and salt. I have zero rust anywhere on the vehicle, as a matter of fact just this past Friday I was under it doing a oil change, grease job and general inspection, zero rust, not even on the brake lines or the places where I have scraped the paint off the frame from my floor jack and jack stands!
    65kaiser likes this.

Thanks jnrsesv!

I'm not super hung up on this one in particular, I think for us 'Northerners' we worry about some Hurricane damaged / flooded out heap brought up here to hide the title. (Which is possible...) However, even though this dealer isn't a Carmax or Caddy dealer, he has a good local reputation and generally does right by most people. Though, as you can see from his asking price...tends to start far too high.

That said, I'd like it for the family truckster capabilities and ability to tow the boat to the lake with comfort for everyone. We're a tall family and the kids don't fit in the Avalanche anymore and our Jeep Commander is too small as well. The Escalade/Suburban/Yukon XL's all allow the 2nd row to move back farther. The Escalade EXT/Avalanche's all have the mid-gate to deal with limiting some leg room for the 6'6 son and 6'1 daughter.

I'll see if I can get the full history, keeping in mind that I may have some repairs down the line.

Thanks!!!

hturner0iii0 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade ESV
    Hello,

I bought my 2004 esv white diamond in February 2013. I am in the Midwest and I love the truck. I would not pay that much for the truck as with any vehicle over 100 k work will need to be done. I bought my truck knowing that work needed to be done. I was able to get 2500 off the price of the truck because of the repairs everyone talks about needed to be done (shocks purge soleniod, cluster etc) If you can get the esv for significantly less and budget for repairs you will enjoy it. Mine has 150000 miles on it and I have been from Chicago to SC several times.

Quote Originally Posted by dorelse
    Thanks jnrsesv! I'm not super hung up on this one in particular, I think for us 'Northerners' we worry about some Hurricane damaged / flooded out heap brought up here to hide the title. (Which is possible...) However, even though this dealer isn't a Carmax or Caddy dealer, he has a good local reputation and generally does right by most people. Though, as you can see from his asking price...tends to start far too high. That said, I'd like it for the family truckster capabilities and ability to tow the boat to the lake with comfort for everyone. We're a tall family and the kids don't fit in the Avalanche anymore and our Jeep Commander is too small as well. The Escalade/Suburban/Yukon XL's all allow the 2nd row to move back farther. The Escalade EXT/Avalanche's all have the mid-gate to deal with limiting some leg room for the 6'6 son and 6'1 daughter. I'll see if I can get the full history, keeping in mind that I may have some repairs down the line. Thanks!!!
    The carfax report can be done online as long as you have the vin number

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    The carfax report can be done online as long as you have the vin number
    Sorry, I'm confused, I linked the carfax report in my first post?

John P is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade 6.0
    Quote Originally Posted by z0lt3c
    I looked through the linked carfax report, on a scale of 1 (poor service history) to 10 (Great) this comes in around 5 or 6. It's mostly just regular service, not much preventative maintenance. My first problem is that it has the vehicle moving from Florida to Iowa. I tend to avoid Florida vehicles as a rule, because they can be exposed to salt air and frequent flooding. Second, although there are no accidents, one record does seem to indicate some possible bodywork; 08/02/2012 Florida Service Facility Parts requested for repair: Grille Hood Since there are no record of accidents or insurance repair, this must have been a cash job. I would want to check the vehicle with a paint meter. Third, this record also requires followup with the dealer, it could mean anything and I would wan to know why it was done; 10/09/2012 88,190 Coast Cadillac Saab Sarasota, FL Engine/powertrain computer/module checked Finally, I would touch this thing personally, but if you are still serious, here is my list of common problem on these vehicles; Oil cooler lines $200 Power steering pump $350 Mass air flow sensor $400 Intermediate steering shaft $300 Complete front steering linkage $800 (moog replacements) All 4 auto ride shocks $1200 (monroe replacements) rear air compressor $300 (after market) HVAC interior aspirators $100 Fuel pump $300 Brake lines (hardline from ABS pump to soft lines) $500 (after market/varies) Front Differential Rebuild $1000 (after market/varies) Manifold Bolts (???) Some people seem to be luckier then others, or maybe there are bad ones and good ones, but if your buying to at 100K miles and planning to keep it, I would be prepared for all of the above to fail or require replacement at some point. The best protection would be a full PPI (pre-purchase inspection) by a GM trucks expert. Oh, and the price is INSANE!
    Are you high? Where are you getting those prices? They're laughable.

I live in the Uk and I source them cheaper from America than the prices you've quoted. And that's me only using selected companies that post Internationally. All those prices are mostly double the prices.

Steering linkage is $280 for Moog parts.
    Steering shaft is $80
    Mass air flow sensor $140

That's all high standard parts, not cheap crap.

***************** content deleted by moderator

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Are you high? Where are you getting those prices? They're laughable.
    I was quoting dealer prices, ie OEM parts plus GM labor, exactly as they were quoted to me by Royal Chevrolet, which is exactly the pricing I would use in negotiating a purchase.

Thanks for your colorful commentary, it really added alot.

Quote Originally Posted by z0lt3c View Post
    I was quoting dealer prices, ie OEM parts plus GM labor, exactly as they were quoted to me by Royal Chevrolet, which is exactly the pricing I would use in negotiating a purchase.
    I appreciated it too! (Always good to have the dealer price to fix it...)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.