Battery issue and gauges
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Battery issue and gauges in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi I have an 05 escalde ext that will kill the battery in 3 days. The oil and temp gauges ...
    sastone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 escalade ext.

Battery issue and gauges

Hi I have an 05 escalde ext that will kill the battery in 3 days. The oil and temp gauges are also acting up as well. I live in a northern community and frequently drive in sub zero temps. My fuse box was complete filed with fly snow one time as well. Now my ride control isn't working as well. All fuses and trip breakers are good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....there is no dealer ship. Close to me .......300 miles away.....I bought a code reader as well and that didn't point me in the right way....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Battery issue and gauges

Your post has absolutely nothing to do with Site news and Registration. Please read the descriptive text in each forum banner to fond out what is supposed to be posted there.

Moved from CF Help Desk to the proper Escalade forum.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sastone
    Hi I have an 05 escalde ext that will kill the battery in 3 days. The oil and temp gauges are also acting up as well. I live in a northern community and frequently drive in sub zero temps. My fuse box was complete filed with fly snow one time as well. Now my ride control isn't working as well. All fuses and trip breakers are good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....there is no dealer ship. Close to me .......300 miles away.....I bought a code reader as well and that didn't point me in the right way....
    First check the battery cables they can work loose

If that's not it then I would have the battery load tested as it sounds like the battery is bad

The guages could be due to the battery or the stepper motors in the cluster

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man
    First check the battery cables they can work loose If that's not it then I would have the battery load tested as it sounds like the battery is bad The guages could be due to the battery or the stepper motors in the cluster
    I have replaced the battery with two new ones and sequentially and have no joy. I was told that there is a device on board to stop the battery from draining Down below 12 volts. I also have an 02 as well and it does the same thing. The ride control issue might be ?....as explained by a gm dealer......could be the compressor intake freezing up and trip something?.....the gauges might be a resistor spool?......geeesh I guess the caddy world is putting me to the test!

I have replaced the battery with two new ones and sequentially and have no joy. I was told that there is a device on board to stop the battery from draining Down below 12 volts. I also have an 02 as well and it does the same thing. The ride control issue might be ?....as explained by a gm dealer......could be the compressor intake freezing up and trip something?.....the gauges might be a resistor spool?......geeesh I guess the caddy world is putting me to the test!
    The battery run down protection is a feature bulit into the bcm(body control module) of the truck

The service ride control message is likely the compressor's valve solenoid bad(replace the compressor)

The gauges are due to bad stepper motors in the cluster and can be repaired either DIY or by a pro

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by sastone View Post
    Do a search for batteries on here. I had the same problem in my 05 and it killed the replacement battery as well as the original. After quite a bit of troubleshooting without success I swapped out the starter and never had the problem reappear. In my case even with a full battery it would on occasion crank slower than normal leading me to believe I had some type of short in the starter.

Also, do you have any aftermarket electronic equipment on the vehicle?

My used 07 STS killed the battery in 12 hours, I found that out the day after I bought it. Took me a week to track it down to a rear seat entertainment system that was keeping the car awake because the installer tapped a supposed 12V when hot wire in the dash. Other than that the install was so clean that I believed it was a factory system and didn't go straight to it. The installer ran the wires in the factory looms everywhere but the punch through the firewall. In the engine compartment he again ran it through the factory looms so it looked like a very clean install. I spent most of a day tracing the wiring he installed. Found his tap and disconnected it, never had it drain the battery again.

Also on an 02 Trailblazer I found that if I left my Aeroforce gauge plugged into the ODBII port it would keep the vehicle awake and I'd come out to a dead battery in the morning or at the end of the workday. I put a toggle switch in to disconnect it so I wouldn't have to unplug it each time I parked, forgot a couple of times and came out to a dead battery.

The rundown protection works, but I believe only on the factory installed options since those all run on the data bus and they are turned off by the BCM. Aftermarket items though you have to be careful with as they don't get shut down by the BCM.

I agree with wake on aftermarket add ons not being controlled by the bcm

Hi guys, thanx for the info.

What I have found so far......it appears that my compressor is taking in snow through the air dryer and actually freezing up.i found an intake line off for it. I put it in a shop overnight to warm it up and on it came the next morning, but froze up shortly thereafter. I plan to replace it but want to test the system to see if there are any leaks in other components.
    The gauge issue is as you had explained.if you disconnect the battery for a while, the gauges return to where they should. Once you have turned the vehicle on and off they start to act up and when the key is off they still register which would reinforce why the battery draw exists.

So next avenue is to replace the stepper motor.....is this a common piece or will I have to take my dash apart first?? Does any one have an order number/ location to order for this item?

Yes there is an aftermarket DVD player in the back,clarion ent centre in front,as well as a gauge package for the supercharger as well. I have tested these and all seem to be working off the key. (Except the radio)

Hi guys, thanx for the info. What I have found so far......it appears that my compressor is taking in snow through the air dryer and actually freezing up.i found an intake line off for it. I put it in a shop overnight to warm it up and on it came the next morning, but froze up shortly thereafter. I plan to replace it but want to test the system to see if there are any leaks in other components. The gauge issue is as you had explained.if you disconnect the battery for a while, the gauges return to where they should. Once you have turned the vehicle on and off they start to act up and when the key is off they still register which would reinforce why the battery draw exists. So next avenue is to replace the stepper motor.....is this a common piece or will I have to take my dash apart first?? Does any one have an order number/ location to order for this item? Yes there is an aftermarket DVD player in the back,clarion ent centre in front,as well as a gauge package for the supercharger as well. I have tested these and all seem to be working off the key. (Except the radio)
    That is something I hope will hope to fix with a remote air intake box for the shock compressor(provided I can get time to sit down and make the prototype to test)

Testing for leaks is easy just use some soapy water in a spray bottle and soak the shocks and lines down really good then work the bumper while watching for bubbles

The stepper motors is a common issue and was issued a recall from gm about but it was under 80k miles(I know as I asked on my dads h2) now if the gauges are staying live when the key is off then the cluster board is needing repair

The DVD player can be got either here(www.crutchfeild.com) or from any car audio dealer FYI they do have blu ray systems on the market now

If the radio itself isn't working then I would check the power connections ( hot and ground) if both are good then its likely the interface is bad

flyingdutchman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

So I have taken the compressor out and cleaned, tested, and manufactured a remote air intake line with a PVC filter and routed it up on filler spout. This might solve the snow issue. The compressor works well and I pressured up the system and all seems well. But...there is allways a but.... The system still reads for servicing and the compressor won't activate. So tomorrow I will try the heated shop again and see what comes from it. I unhooked the battery as well to see if the message goes away

So I have taken the compressor out and cleaned, tested, and manufactured a remote air intake line with a PVC filter and routed it up on filler spout. This might solve the snow issue. The compressor works well and I pressured up the system and all seems well. But...there is allways a but.... The system still reads for servicing and the compressor won't activate. So tomorrow I will try the heated shop again and see what comes from it. I unhooked the battery as well to see if the message goes away
    The battery disconnect trick don't work on these

You need to get the codes from a dealer with a tech-2 as they will help find out what is triggering the message

Well, left the truck in a heated shop overnight and the compressor started working on its on when I started it up. Ran for ten seconds and shut down. That's a good sign. Erro code is still there as you said but now I am slightly confused in how the system actually works because it is the compressor in the back that I have been focused on. Is the air ride system all connected? It appeared that the back of the truck came up but not the front. I found what appears to be one in the front as well by tracing air lines. I am just trying to work through this issue as my nearest dealer is 400 miles away and it is still very much winter here. I jumped the relay and could hear a cylinoid type click on the passenger side. I had three guys anchor down the back of the truck and the rear compressor came on again after a few moments. So I guess my question now would be other than right at the front compressor, is there a spot where I can power up the compressor that is easier to access? My concern is getting my vehicle to the dealer without pounding my back out!! And damaging my ride....

The front shocks are active gas shocks

The rear shocks are hybrid gas/air shocks(these are for the auto leveling part of the autoride system)

Sounds like its working normally but if the service ride control message is showing then there is a code in the system for something

Does the system release when any load is removed from the back of the truck?

If yes then its something else triggering the message
    If no then there's your problem(the exhaust valve solenoid) if this is true then the compressor will need replacing

Still won't be sure unless the code is pulled

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.