Second hand ~ what to look for? (2004 ESV Platinum)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Second hand ~ what to look for? (2004 ESV Platinum) in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi all I am going to look at a 2004 ESV Platinum, it would be handy to know: What to ...
    SFX Group is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV Platinum 2004 ::: BMW 750iL 2000

Second hand ~ what to look for? (2004 ESV Platinum)

Hi all

I am going to look at a 2004 ESV Platinum, it would be handy to know:

What to look at that might fail and how to test it (chassis, gearbox, wheels, engine)
    How to test the toys in a way to know if they work or fail.

Locations for corrosion that will result in me paying alot of money in the next year.

Many Thanks
    Ashley

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

Re: Second hand ~ what to look for? (2004 ESV Platinum)

Hey, good luck, I hope it's nice.

The engine should run strong & smooth... any weirdness is not normal.

There should be no funny sounds or howling or growling coming from the front differential.... that can be expensive to fix.

I personally would make darn sure that ALL the heated seats work....

Make sure the NAV, radio, CD changer all works....

Sunroof obviously. Take a look at the headliner around the sunroof, there should be NO signs of leakage....

Plus all the usual stuff on a test drive & so on.... Brakes should be real nice, all the lights should work, all turn signals, all markers....

Is this at a dealership?? Private party???

If it's at a dealer, you might ask how much to put a 1-year powertrain warranty on it.... There's plenty of moving parts in a full time AWD truck....

I'd wanna know if the fuel pump had been replaced or not.... Mine died shortly after 100,000 miles.... that's an expensive job. Around $1000, if I remember...

How many miles on this thing???

My 2004 has been very good to me. I've done a lot of what I consider "routine" maintenance.... The Fuel Pump is the only thing that really got me.

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    I don't think I can add any more but my fuel pump was 6-700 at the most

Hi
    Thanks for the answers....

I dont think its a dealer (not sure about this though), its 260k kilo (161000 miles), which seems high to me for this age.. However there asking 8.8k (its in Canada) which seems low, this was the reason i wanted to find out.

Basically if any electronics toys dont work it will add up (esp power train and heated seats), i am more looking at corrosion (chassis / piping under the car) and overall condition for logenvity.

Whats wrong with the fuel pump? is its location or just the pump cost?

Quote Originally Posted by SFX Group
    Hi Thanks for the answers.... I dont think its a dealer (not sure about this though), its 260k kilo (161000 miles), which seems high to me for this age.. However there asking 8.8k (its in Canada) which seems low, this was the reason i wanted to find out. Basically if any electronics toys dont work it will add up (esp power train and heated seats), i am more looking at corrosion (chassis / piping under the car) and overall condition for logenvity. Whats wrong with the fuel pump? is its location or just the pump cost?
    Mostly cost but if you run the tank dry a lot then lifespan will take a hit

Mileage shouldn't be much of a concern at the price as I paid 13.500 for mine and it had 122,000 something miles on it when I got it

Main issue is the rear shocks and compressor with age

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

Here is a short list of what I had to replace on my 03 w/ 80K miles, not including most of the interior stuff;

Oil cooler lines
    Power steering pump
    Mass air flow sensor
    Intermediate steering shaft
    Complete front steering linkage
    All 4 auto ride shocks
    rear air compressor
    HVAC interior aspirators
    Brake rotors
    Wheels & Tires
    Fluids for both diffs & tcase

You will want to have the front differential checked, they generally don't last long, become very loud before failing and cost alot to rebuild. You also want to check for corrosion on the brake lines as they very frequently need to be replaced. These are the two jobs I am still trying to hold out on but will need soon. These jobs can add up very fast.

The bottom line, if you are not a do it yourself type, it's worth taking the vehicle to a professional for a pre-purchase inspection. Routine maintenance is not enough, IMO, to keep these trunks in satisfactory condition as they reach higher miles.

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

^ Yes to that.

If you are not a huge do it yourself person, definitely have it inspected by a Pro before purchasing....

I'm unclear if this is at a Dealership or not, but if it is, look into a powertrain warranty...

UPDATE - IVE LOOKED AT IT

It appears external very good condition, questions i have from what i found:
    Hes a collectors car dealer (had a 1930's (i think) Cadillac car in a locked heated store), same place this was, it was his truck so private sale, he has a 2007 newer as liked the shape, owned this since 2010 (Carfax should be hear in about 3 hours).

No crashes on the fax, excpet rear end costing $2700 in 2007, i couldnt see evidence of it. Questions i have:

- 6 Disc CD changer doesnt work, he says never worked when he got it (just replace the changer?)
    - Rear air suspenstion, was refurbished (air bags and pump), however has error code he says is common as didnt replace with new parts (i assume refurbish would be ok, thoughts?, i did hear the pump run when out of the truck, is it supposed to be noisy?
    - Trunk door has corrsion around the logo and botton inside edge, cant see this when the doors closed (can see logo corrosion), another common? (Not to much corrosion under the truck (not as much as ive seen before), this is South ON Canada, so there will be some.)
    - Engine seems to run perfect, i wanted him to drive it so i can listen, i cant hear anything that would indicate gearbox / diff noises.
    - Hes replaced all disk brake drums when buying it (front came with bearings), also replaced rear brake calipers (can see there new)

I didnt check the toys inside yet, i will re-visit for that, however from the above i am gussing 8.8k isnt bad, although i am little worried about the rear air pump and code and the 6 disc CD changer (to a point, i assume it is just the changer thats the issue)

If the onstar is dead also then the fuse is blown but more likely the cd changer has gave up the magic dust

The compressor will make so me noise as far as the code it could be a sensor somewhere in the system

Make sure all the switches work before sealing the deal

Other then that it sounds like a great deal

I MISSED SOMETHING, he says the safety brake doesn't work, (Canada) will need to be repaired, something about a plate on the rear wheels, here I have to get that done to get a safety before I can drive it (I don't use that brake only PARK, however any ideas on this?)

I MISSED SOMETHING, he says the safety brake doesn't work, (Canada) will need to be repaired, something about a plate on the rear wheels, here I have to get that done to get a safety before I can drive it (I don't use that brake only PARK, however any ideas on this?)
    The park brake is a item the is a hit or miss as far as working

They use shoes inside the rear brake rotors drums

Have it checked as I'd say the shoes need replacing

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

I've driven ALOT of NBS Escalades and Denali's and everyone makes driveline noises. If he is on the stock power steering pump and stock water pump, with that kind of mileage, they should also be making noise. The corrosion on the cargo hatch sounds more like bad paint or a poor respray.

You seem to be touching on alot of superficial issues and I am afraid you aren't even adequately assessing the mechanical issues. At 161K almost every major component should have been replaced once, and if not, it's a time bomb. Do you have all this paperwork?

Don't overestimate the market for high mileage large SUVs with poor fuel efficiently. You have alot of leverage, I think the price is too high, considering the repair risks and without a proper mechanical PPI.

Hi

Thats great information, however without a frame reference on noise it would appear i cant detect "noise", i have a BMW 750iL and this ESV drives almost as quiet as my BMW (except this has larger wheels), i know my BMW has no gearbox issues. So, are there vidoes you can forward that has any of these noises i should know about?

The engine and power train have no oil leaks at all, ive been under it with a torch. It doesnt look "washed" so i can only assume it has no leaks. Your saying 8.8k is high, however i need some proof of what i need to find in this truck (such as a video with what to look for in the way of power train noise). The engine was very smooth as well.

Quote Originally Posted by z0lt3c View Post
    I've driven ALOT of NBS Escalades and Denali's and everyone makes driveline noises. If he is on the stock power steering pump and stock water pump, with that kind of mileage, they should also be making noise. The corrosion on the cargo hatch sounds more like bad paint or a poor respray.

You seem to be touching on alot of superficial issues and I am afraid you aren't even adequately assessing the mechanical issues. At 161K almost every major component should have been replaced once, and if not, it's a time bomb. Do you have all this paperwork?

Don't overestimate the market for high mileage large SUVs with poor fuel efficiently. You have alot of leverage, I think the price is too high, considering the repair risks and without a proper mechanical PPI.

Hi Thats great information, however without a frame reference on noise it would appear i cant detect "noise", i have a BMW 750iL and this ESV drives almost as quiet as my BMW (except this has larger wheels), i know my BMW has no gearbox issues. So, are there vidoes you can forward that has any of these noises i should know about? The engine and power train have no oil leaks at all, ive been under it with a torch. It doesnt look "washed" so i can only assume it has no leaks. Your saying 8.8k is high, however i need some proof of what i need to find in this truck (such as a video with what to look for in the way of power train noise). The engine was very smooth as well.
    Power train noises would include grinding, growling and howling to name a few

Moaning, whining is a couple others that are not not normal

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Power train noises would include grinding, growling and howling to name a few

Moaning, whining is a couple others that are not not normal
    Same as most gearboxes then, didn't hear any of that, granted I didn't stick my head of the window, however I had them drive at 20-30kmh so I could listen for that stuff, and you normally hear those at lower speeds (unless I need to be at higher speeds), That said I would drive the truck at all speeds before buying it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.