Airaid vs K&N ????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Airaid vs K&N ???? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Im just wondering if any one has any experience with either one? I am considering buying a Cold Air Intake ...
    Silent_Assasin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EXT - Rip Tide Blue

Airaid vs K&N ????

Im just wondering if any one has any experience with either one? I am considering buying a Cold Air Intake for my truck. (6.0L) I am eventually going to buy a twin ram air good hood and the one I am wanting suggest adding the Airaid CAI system, but I have never used this brand before, and of course K&N has been a well known top brand for years! I understand Im not going to get much mileage gain which is not what Im going for at all. I just want a better flowing/cleaner air system to my truck and a little more throttle response. Also Im thinking it will make my dual magna flow exhaust sound a little better too! Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Go with the air raid one as the k&n filters have a bad rep

NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven
    Curious for Silent Assassin if anyone else has success using the Spectre Air Intake? I've heard good things on the V forums and see that they're on Advance Auto Parts for $135 with free shipping and possible store pickup. (If they are regular price you can use the $40 off coupon, but they have a 15% deal across the board right now).

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sho...ir+intake+kits

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO
    Curious for Silent Assassin if anyone else has success using the Spectre Air Intake? I've heard good things on the V forums and see that they're on Advance Auto Parts for $135 with free shipping and possible store pickup. (If they are regular price you can use the $40 off coupon, but they have a 15% deal across the board right now). http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sho...ir+intake+kits
    Looks like a great deal but I wonder how one would hold in my area as I live on a dusty road

Re: Airaid vs K&N ????

I will have to do some research on the Spectre and see what people have to say! That seems like an awesome deal, alot cheaper then the Airaid Ive been looking at! ...as far as the dusty roads thats not a problem for me! I would cry taking my truck down a gravel road! lol fortunately I live in the city and have my Dodge for going out to the land down the gravel!

Teacher Todd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I just picked up an airaid jr cold air intake. The dyno results were the best on the airaid in testing done by black bear performance parts. The air aid jr maintains the stock intake box which is a cold air box. I paid 136 shipped for mine. I am really happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Todd View Post
    I just picked up an airaid jr cold air intake. The dyno results were the best on the airaid in testing done by black bear performance parts. The air aid jr maintains the stock intake box which is a cold air box. I paid 136 shipped for mine. I am really happy with it.
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear you're happy with your Airaid purchase! after doing alot of reading and looking around I am leaning more and more to the full Airaid system! And possibly the Poweraid TBS along with it!

Tylus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Assasin View Post
    And possibly the Poweraid TBS along with it!
    TBS? As in Throttle Body Spacer?

Please please do not waste your money on one of those polished billet paper weights. They do absolutely nothing for a EFI motor. back in the day with Carb's, you needed a TBS to add some height to your intake to allow for proper air/fuel mixing...and they could be used to adapt another brand/style/size of carb to your intake.

but in today's world of electronic fuel injection with precision injectors, that TBS is absolutely worthless. It can actually cause a loss of performance.

as far as the intake, save your money. A true CAI that has a RAM Air setup to allow for air draw from the bumper, or grill is the only thing you will see gains with. Even then, those gains are going to be minimal, and somewhat supplemental to the true cause of the gains. TUNING! Pocket that $$$, or buy a handheld tuner. Nothing will wake up a modern motor more than custom tuning...well a supercharger/turbo will...but you get my point.

Jophusp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Escalade XS-500

There are so many opinions on this subject, You may start to feel like you are watching a governmental debate. Probably the best thing about a CAI is the sticker, Bragging rights, or the sound. if you had a supercharger/Turbocharger, that sucks Air through at a much quicker rate then the stock vacuum, then you would def. need one. Stock, wont matter which one you get. So whichever one suits your fancy, and has the coolest decal. JMO

The full airaid kit did not make as much power on the Dyno tests I looked at. When you replace the stock air box you loose the cold air draw it utilizes from the bumper and it becomes a hot intake, taking air from the engine bay. If you really want performance for the best price go with airaid junior kit and like others said forget the throttle body spacer as it does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylus View Post
    TBS? As in Throttle Body Spacer?

Please please do not waste your money on one of those polished billet paper weights. They do absolutely nothing for a EFI motor. back in the day with Carb's, you needed a TBS to add some height to your intake to allow for proper air/fuel mixing...and they could be used to adapt another brand/style/size of carb to your intake.

but in today's world of electronic fuel injection with precision injectors, that TBS is absolutely worthless. It can actually cause a loss of performance.

as far as the intake, save your money. A true CAI that has a RAM Air setup to allow for air draw from the bumper, or grill is the only thing you will see gains with. Even then, those gains are going to be minimal, and somewhat supplemental to the true cause of the gains. TUNING! Pocket that $$$, or buy a handheld tuner. Nothing will wake up a modern motor more than custom tuning...well a supercharger/turbo will...but you get my point.
    Interesting, I have read alot of reviews of people saying they did see gains with the TBS, especially in the lower end torque! But I defiantly see what your saying! Having no experience with them myself I am just going by what others have said in reviews and on forums!As far as the Ram Air, wouldn't the twin ram air hood be a "true" CAI setup? as the hood has ducts that direct the air straight to the fileter/intake?..... If nothing else I love the looks of the hood either way! >>>heres a link to the hood>>http://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com...s-GHG-118.html

There is a company that dynoed these motors with a bunch of different mods and the throttle body space showed no gain and lost power. The ram air hood will produce power when you are at speed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.