spark plugs wires 8mm vs 8.5mm vs 10mm
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, spark plugs wires 8mm vs 8.5mm vs 10mm in Cadillac Escalade Forums; About to tackle the replacement of my spark plugs and wires. I am going w/ NGK TR5IX plugs, because I ...
    z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

spark plugs wires 8mm vs 8.5mm vs 10mm

About to tackle the replacement of my spark plugs and wires. I am going w/ NGK TR5IX plugs, because I got a great deal on them but I've been doing alot of reading on old posts suggesting upgrading the stock 7mm wires. Most people suggested either 8.5mm or 10mm. Many posts reference affordable 8.5mm wire sets on ebay, for like $35, but all the links are no longer good. Here is what I found on ebay;

Taylor 53005 8mm wires $35
    MAXX 532B 8.5mm wires $50
    OML 48314B 10MM WIRES $63

Does anybody have any other suggestions for sources/price on upgraded wires? Are the 10MM overkill or is the extra $13 worth it?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: spark plugs wires 8mm vs 8.5mm vs 10mm

Not alot of feedback ... I've spoken w/ the distributor of the MAXX and OML product, they confirmed the MAXX 532B (blue) or 532R (red) kit should fit my 2003 Escalade 6.0 but the OML people suggested set 29192B instead of 48314B which is $79 vs $63. I think I've decided to go with a the MAXX 8.5mm product, should still be a decent upgrade from the stock 7.0mm wires and cheaper then the 10mm option. I will provide some feedback once I get them installed.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by z0lt3c
    Not alot of feedback ... I've spoken w/ the distributor of the MAXX and OML product, they confirmed the MAXX 532B (blue) or 532R (red) kit should fit my 2003 Escalade 6.0 but the OML people suggested set 29192B instead of 48314B which is $79 vs $63. I think I've decided to go with a the MAXX 8.5mm product, should still be a decent upgrade from the stock 7.0mm wires and cheaper then the 10mm option. I will provide some feedback once I get them installed.
    If they do good I may get a set and upgrade mine soon

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

What are you hoping to accomplish by changing to an aftermarket wire??

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    At least 40HP at idle.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Maybe a smoother idle (hopefully)

This is nothing more than my opinion, ignorant or not. I believe the factory spends lots of money in R/D, perhaps more than the aftermarket world in some cases. In a stock application, its going to be very difficult to compete with the factory configuration in terms of balancing efficiency and performance. Of course changing the exhaust, injectors or tuning the computer will improve performance and perhaps efficiency to a point. By making these changes though, you're walking that fine line of beginning to use your car in a manner for which the factory hadn't intended. The factory believes in their stock configuration so much that they will offer a warranty on all of their parts for much longer than the aftermarket world. I'm not saying there's not a use for aftermarket parts, because there is. In a stock configured engine, I don't see any reason to upgrade the plugs or the plug wires if nothing else has been upgraded. As said previously, that's JMHO and I'm sure there are those that will disagree.

There will be no difference, in performance or idle quality, between OEM wires, and good aftermarket/"performance" wires, on a stock engine.

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Agreed..... When i used to work at a dyno facilities here in So Cal we tested numerous performance products and dealt with many manufacturers, vehicle and component... It used to be very interesting to see customers spend good money on products for stock or modded vehicles and actually lose power, mostly because the product was meant to compliment another upgraded component, for example MSD coils would compliment a bigger spark plug wire better than the factory coils.... Not saying it would help or hurt but research is key.. My 2 cents

But, but... The kid at AutoZone said my car would be faster and get better fuel mileage!!!

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    But, but... The kid at AutoZone said my car would be faster and get better fuel mileage!!!
    lmao.... as he should

Is it a fact that these aftermarket wires have a lower resistance (by many multiples) then the stock wires. If reducing this resistance will have any positive impact on stock engine performance is certainly debatable. There are plenty of posts already on this forum about these wires so I am certainly not the first to bring up this topic. At the very least, the thicker jacket on the aftermarket wires will better insulate the wires from damage/nicks. This is the least arguable benefit of this change. Based on my understanding of basic principles of electricity, it makes sense to me that lower resistance will also yield a stronger, more reliable, spark. This point is more arguable...

This vehicle is 10 years old and 3 generations from current. I'd like to think technology has improved since this vehicle was produced and cost of part manufacturing has been reduced. I personally believe the vehicle comes from the GM in the most cost efficient package available, and 7mm wires on a bulk scale are cheaper then larger wires. In some cases, in present times, there is an opportunity to potentially improve upon the original equipment, without additional expense, compare to the state of the technology and market in 2003. When the OEM wires are $88 and the "better" aftermarket wires are $50, why not upgrade? Here is a picture from another post comparing the 10mm to the stock 7mm;

Oh, I'm not saying there aren't better wires, just that they won't make a difference with a stock engine/ignition system. If they're cheaper, go for it. However, you might have a problem with fitting them into wire holders.

Flashy advertisements and lower prices don't necessarily constitute "better." Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.

Tylus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

I'm more concerned with whether or not the 8.5 or 10mm wires will work fine. This will never be a hot rod, just some fun upgrades like tuning and exhaust...maybe a cam down the road. Mainly I'm after 100% reliability at the moment and getting rid of the stupid rough idle.

@OP, interested to hear your feedback on these

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.