Decided to keep the truck.. Now looking to upgrade stock speakers... (06 EXT)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Decided to keep the truck.. Now looking to upgrade stock speakers... (06 EXT) in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Ok.. So I was on the fence with selling the truck but after much thought and discussion we have determined ...
    TheCaddyKidd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT

Decided to keep the truck.. Now looking to upgrade stock speakers... (06 EXT)

Ok.. So I was on the fence with selling the truck but after much thought and discussion we have determined that we are going to keep my truck as it will save us for an unneeded expense.. So with that in mind I decided that I would take a small amount of money and upgrade the audio in the truck.. Not looking to go crazy.. Just want spice it up a little.. My current setup is a stock headunit, stock Bose in front and rear doors, infinity in aftermarket kick panels, and 2 12inch solo barics.. Honestly I am not looking to go to crazy.. I don't drive the truck all that often but again just wanna spice it up.. I purchased a new Pioneer AppRadio Headunit (SPH-DA210) which I got a great deal on from a local wholesaler.. I just want to upgrade the factory door speakers in the 2006 EXT. I was reading some older posts and saw that people were saying to go with the inifinitys because they run on 2ohms which is a better compatibility with the factory Bose amplifier... Just wanted to get some other opinions on what people have done as far as replacing the door speakers.. I was thinking of doing the install myself so I am looking for an easy swap.. Not looking to get too crazy with wiring and all that.. Thanks for any input..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Being one that went full aftermarket but kept the factory radio and amp I can attest that infinity speakers are awesome for the factory radio system

If you want a audio clip pm me your email and I will send a few clips I have of both my home audio system and the system in my truck (I am a audiophile so I have a high end home audio system and my trucks audio system sounds just as good)

capriRS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT

Re: Decided to keep the truck.. Now looking to upgrade stock speakers... (06 EXT)

I went with Rockford fosgate componet sets in all 4 doors of my ext. running off a alpine deck. They are loud enough to keep up with my 2 digital design 9512's in a custom box running off of 6,400 RMS. they are loud and crisp

Re: Decided to keep the truck.. Now looking to upgrade stock speakers... (06 EXT)

Here is maybe a stupid question.. How does the whole Bose Amp thing work anyway.. If I replace the headunit with the aftermarket Pioneer unit with all proper harnesses to retain onstar and such and from the headunit use the RCA outputs to an aftermarket amp which in turn powers the new door speakers will I still get the chimes and onstar and whatnot? Or is the signal for all of that filtered in somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaddyKidd
    Here is maybe a stupid question.. How does the whole Bose Amp thing work anyway.. If I replace the headunit with the aftermarket Pioneer unit with all proper harnesses to retain onstar and such and from the headunit use the RCA outputs to an aftermarket amp which in turn powers the new door speakers will I still get the chimes and onstar and whatnot? Or is the signal for all of that filtered in somewhere else?
    The Bose amp does the chimes so the head unit would have to use the Bose amp for the chimes unless you got a interface the did it(not sure if there is one)

Ps I sent the email will send the audio clips tomorrow

Caddy kid email of audio clip sent let me know what you think(my iPhones mic doesn't do it real justice on the low end)

CaddyEscalade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I would like to know what kind of infinity speakers you recommend, sizes etc. I just want simple as well, all just running off the deck.

Also, just a quick note on the Pioneer Appradio, I just went down this road and trust me when I say if it was free you would still hate it. I had nothing but problems, backup camera staying on all the time, complete freezing, horrible radio reception, and just the fact of having to press ok to the damn warnings every time you start the car drove me nuts. Just a friendly bit of advise, run away from that deck!

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

Here is a popular module used to support all the in car systems w/ an aftermarket radio;

http://www.amazon.com/GMOS-04-OnStar.../dp/B000980HC4

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyEscalade
    I would like to know what kind of infinity speakers you recommend, sizes etc. I just want simple as well, all just running off the deck. Also, just a quick note on the Pioneer Appradio, I just went down this road and trust me when I say if it was free you would still hate it. I had nothing but problems, backup camera staying on all the time, complete freezing, horrible radio reception, and just the fact of having to press ok to the damn warnings every time you start the car drove me nuts. Just a friendly bit of advise, run away from that deck!
    I have heard that from a lot of pioneer owners

Anyway my speakers are the infinity reference 6030CS nice and smooth on the mids and highs while still having a nice low end
    My sub is a sounds ordence bpt-8 which I have under the center console

The whole install took me three days to get prefect considering I had other things to do but the results are awesome and I still have the factory look

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyEscalade View Post
    Also, just a quick note on the Pioneer Appradio, I just went down this road and trust me when I say if it was free you would still hate it. I had nothing but problems, backup camera staying on all the time, complete freezing, horrible radio reception, and just the fact of having to press ok to the damn warnings every time you start the car drove me nuts. Just a friendly bit of advise, run away from that deck!
    I am actually surprised to hear this.. I did a little research of my own and saw nothing but good things about.. I saw that people with older models were having problems but it was because they did the brake bypass.. Other then that I didnt see any other problems listed.. It is a little too late for me.. Picked up my unit new for a great price.. Gonna install it tomorrow so I will likely make a new post tomorrow after its all done..

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaddyKidd
    I am actually surprised to hear this.. I did a little research of my own and saw nothing but good things about.. I saw that people with older models were having problems but it was because they did the brake bypass.. Other then that I didnt see any other problems listed.. It is a little too late for me.. Picked up my unit new for a great price.. Gonna install it tomorrow so I will likely make a new post tomorrow after its all done..
    Did you get my emails with the audio clips??

Btw my radio and amp are stock(minus my subs amp)

Tylus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyEscalade View Post
    I can attest to the annoying Pioneer and backup camera function. I set the backup camera up according to Pioneers instructions. Then had to go and turn the damn thing off! It would switch to rear video function about every 15 seconds. After I turned off the rear aux input, the HU quit doing it and I'm a happy camper. It only shows rear camera now when the truck is in reverse. So really not an issue with the Pioneer HU itself so to speak, but more an issue with how you adjust the settings. It wasn't intuitive to figure out. I was just so frustrated, that I turned off the feature...and then it worked properly as I desired. I'm betting that is what is getting alot of people

Quote Originally Posted by Tylus
    I can attest to the annoying Pioneer and backup camera function. I set the backup camera up according to Pioneers instructions. Then had to go and turn the damn thing off! It would switch to rear video function about every 15 seconds. After I turned off the rear aux input, the HU quit doing it and I'm a happy camper. It only shows rear camera now when the truck is in reverse. So really not an issue with the Pioneer HU itself so to speak, but more an issue with how you adjust the settings. It wasn't intuitive to figure out. I was just so frustrated, that I turned off the feature...and then it worked properly as I desired. I'm betting that is what is getting alot of people
    I seen a nice pioneer head unit on display that would do like your talking about(had thought of it getting it till it went on the backup display and wouldn't let you do much till you cycled the power

Now to see if the store still has any in stock and maybe get one for my car(not ready to replace the factory radio in my truck yet)

Retrax is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade EXT

I have a Pioneer AVIC head unit in my BMW. I like it but it was pretty spendy. There are some good Pioneer Internet forums out there. AVIC411.com is a decent place to start reading, although they are kind of snobby if you have questions (be sure you use the search function and read every one of the billion threads before you ask, because God forbid, the questions has been asked "somewhere" before). The AppRadio is kind of a dumbed down head unit that I think failed to deliver the hype they had predicted at Pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax
    I have a Pioneer AVIC head unit in my BMW. I like it but it was pretty spendy. There are some good Pioneer Internet forums out there. AVIC411.com is a decent place to start reading, although they are kind of snobby if you have questions (be sure you use the search function and read every one of the billion threads before you ask, because God forbid, the questions has been asked "somewhere" before). The AppRadio is kind of a dumbed down head unit that I think failed to deliver the hype they had predicted at Pioneer.
    It was only dumbed down if you didn't have a apple iPod or iPhone then the inputs ware the weak spot
    But it still was overhyped

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.