Backup Camera Installed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Backup Camera Installed in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Strangely this "fully loaded" rig didn't have a backup camera. So I just rectified that today. Used a generic eBay ...
    Tylus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Backup Camera Installed

Strangely this "fully loaded" rig didn't have a backup camera. So I just rectified that today. Used a generic eBay camera with wireless RF transmitter because I was lazy and didn't want to route wire the entire cab length. Very happy with the decision. A little interference occasionally, but great picture otherwise.

For headunit, used the olive green wire in the drivers A-pillar to trigger the headunit reverse trigger so it switches to camera automatically on backup.

For the camera, it is powered off the reverse + wire for the passenger backup light. Routed the wire up through the rear hatch rubber pass-thru...that was a major PITA...wow! But totally worth it so the install shows no wires.

I have the bottom right setup

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    These trucks didn't have a back up cam as a option as they hadn't came out with it

Re: Backup Camera Installed

odd! Backup camera's have been on the market for quite some time. This is actually the wifes first vehicle without a backup camera for quite a long time.

oh well, fixed now

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

You had to drill into the tailgate? How did that go, I presume you used the holesaw in the kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Tylus
    odd! Backup camera's have been on the market for quite some time. This is actually the wifes first vehicle without a backup camera for quite a long time. oh well, fixed now
    For the oem market it didn't

Mr Venom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade esv platinum edition
    I think i'm gonna install the backup camera in my 2004 escalade esv

NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven
    How did you get the video feed into your stock NAV unit?

I've been looking at trying to do this, but it seems like there are tons of extra gadgets that need to be purchased to make it work.

What else did you need in addition to the. $30 camera?

Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO
    How did you get the video feed into your stock NAV unit? I've been looking at trying to do this, but it seems like there are tons of extra gadgets that need to be purchased to make it work. What else did you need in addition to the. $30 camera?
    There is kits to add a back up cam to the factory nav unit both versions of the radio

It goes in between the radio display and the main board in the radio to feed the signal to the display

Quote Originally Posted by z0lt3c View Post
    You had to drill into the tailgate? How did that go, I presume you used the holesaw in the kit?
    yes I used the holesaw that came with the kit. very easy to do. pull the interior trim panel off and there is a perfect spot beneath the door handle
    Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO View Post
    How did you get the video feed into your stock NAV unit?
    I've been looking at trying to do this, but it seems like there are tons of extra gadgets that need to be purchased to make it work.

What else did you need in addition to the. $30 camera?
    I have an aftermarket radio. Pioneer

if you have the factory radio, there is a company that sells a unit called the "LockPick". Ford guys love them. not sure how they work with the GM setups. The Lockpick lets your factory radio do all the cool stuff it can actually do, not what GM/Ford/Dodge say you are "allowed" to do

http://www.coastaletech.com/AMAZING_GM_LOCKPICKS.htm

but yeah, the camera came with a wireless RF transmitter and receiver. very easy to install

NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven

Thanks for the reply, it doesn't look like the lock pick will work with a 2004, but I've seen other devices that offer similar functionality. I didn't look closely enough to see that you had an aftermarket head unit.

I have a 2004 Escalade with Bose, most of the reviews suggest that changing the head unit out is time consuming and may not be worth it, however compared to $300 to add a camera, it may be time to re-evaluate putting that $300 toward an aftermarket headunit. I'll look for a writeup on the swap out, unless someone has a good link to one. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO
    Thanks for the reply, it doesn't look like the lock pick will work with a 2004, but I've seen other devices that offer similar functionality. I didn't look closely enough to see that you had an aftermarket head unit. I have a 2004 Escalade with Bose, most of the reviews suggest that changing the head unit out is time consuming and may not be worth it, however compared to $300 to add a camera, it may be time to re-evaluate putting that $300 toward an aftermarket headunit. I'll look for a writeup on the swap out, unless someone has a good link to one. Thanks again!

HA HA HA HA HA HA those people must be lazy or have someone do the work as it only takes a hour tops to swap out a radio and that's being a first timer

1 hr labor perhaps...but it's the modules that will kill you

I have 3 different modules under the dash that support my Pioneer radio. They are all made by the company Axxass. I only recognized 2 of the modules, and I can guess at the third. GM integrated a metric butt ton of features into the radio for some reason. When you remove the radio, you have to use adapters to keep from losing those features. I love the pioneer, but I really wish the prior owner had left the factory radio installed

Luckily the Pioneer radio sounds AMAZING with the Bose speakers. Easily the best sounding radio I've ever heard in a car...I'm not an Audiophile though, but it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylus
    1 hr labor perhaps...but it's the modules that will kill you I have 3 different modules under the dash that support my Pioneer radio. They are all made by the company Axxass. I only recognized 2 of the modules, and I can guess at the third. GM integrated a metric butt ton of features into the radio for some reason. When you remove the radio, you have to use adapters to keep from losing those features. I love the pioneer, but I really wish the prior owner had left the factory radio installed Luckily the Pioneer radio sounds AMAZING with the Bose speakers. Easily the best sounding radio I've ever heard in a car...I'm not an Audiophile though, but it's pretty good.
    True and that is one resion I still have my stock radio

Me being a audiophile I swapped out the Bose speakers for infinity speakers and the audio quality improved big time I even replaced the sub

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

For those interested in adding a backup camera to the stock setup, it will only work w/ the 2005,2006 TNR head unit. This would be the adapter to use to get external video input; http://www.ebay.com/itm/280966676405

tomtaylor90 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Tylus View Post
    odd! Backup camera's have been on the market for quite some time. This is actually the wifes first vehicle without a backup camera for quite a long time.

oh well, fixed now
    No that's not odd. I wanted to share something regarding this. When I got my ride I didn't bought with a backup camera because the quality of cameras that come inbuilt are not good and are costly when you buy from showroom.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.