06 Escalade sways side to side at highway speeds (60mph+)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 06 Escalade sways side to side at highway speeds (60mph+) in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey all, My mother owns a 2006 Escalade with 70k miles. She has always complained of a soft, bouncy ride ...
    Hmbre97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

06 Escalade sways side to side at highway speeds (60mph+)

Hey all,

My mother owns a 2006 Escalade with 70k miles. She has always complained of a soft, bouncy ride since buying it a couple of years ago (at 62k miles). I finally got a chance to spend a couple of days behind the wheel while on a road trip this past week and man, that thing rides like crap. On the highway, any bumps would cause it to start oscillating side to side. I have driven cars with bad shocks that tended to get bouncy but I didn't feel any bounce from front to rear, only side to side. It was bad enough that after a couple of hours in the back seat, my wife got pretty car sick which never happens.

Is this normal for the air suspension in these trucks or could the shocks be bad? I think they're holding air as I heard the compressor a few times but it would only run a short while and cut back off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

Re: 06 Escalade sways side to side at highway speeds (60mph+)

Sounds like bad front electronic shocks, they are mostly responsible for the reduction of body roll. Or it could be a failure of the suspension system resulting in a shutdown of the dampening, but that usually results in a service error message on the dash board. If the front shocks are blow the rear shocks most likely are not far behind/ 80K miles is about the life span for the OEM parts. It's about $1000 to replace the 4 shocks w/ OEM equivalents... You can also look into upgrading the front and rear sway bars.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    I second the front shocks and away bars as even in passive mode it shouldn't be that bad

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Re: 06 Escalade sways side to side at highway speeds (60mph+)

My 05 has a bit of a shimmy at highway speeds. I think with the weight of these vehicles (almost 2 Corvettes) that they are very hard on their suspension components which to me see a bit under designed for the weight of these trucks.

Does the whole truck feel like it is oscillating back and forth or does it feel more like the rear end? In the back there is a panhard bar in line with the rear axle that controls the side to side action as the suspension is compressed and rebounds. I wonder if maybe you have worn bushings in the panhard.

I've been under my Escalade and at 90K miles the suspension looks like it needs some work. Both in front and back I see cracks in the bushings and some tearing. When it warms up in the spring I plan on rebuilding the front and back suspension, replacing all related items. I'm hoping it cures my problem.

I replaced the shocks on my 05 at 85K miles thinking it was the problem but it made no difference to the ride quality. Surprisingly these expensive shocks seem to be pretty well made, not like the previous generation of ride control shocks that seemed to be shot just after 60K miles. My friend has 170K on her Denali with the same suspension and her shocks are still holding up, no leaks, seem to be just fine. In fact after I rebuild the suspension in the spring I plan to put those 85K mile shocks back on.

I had an 02 Trailblazer that I rebuilt the suspension on @ 90K miles and it made a crappy ride like a new truck again in the front, so good in the front that I started noticing how the back end felt a little sloppy. Ended up trading it for the Escalade before getting around to rebuilding the back.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.