Getting "Check Engine Oil" Message...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Getting "Check Engine Oil" Message... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I recently changed my oil with synthetic and I have about another 2500 miles to go to change out again...every ...
    sosatyme72 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '03 Escalade ESV

Getting "Check Engine Oil" Message...

I recently changed my oil with synthetic and I have about another 2500 miles to go to change out again...every 5k i was told to change. I never reset any type of oil settings in car. Could this be why Im getting this message? I havent checked the oil
    since its been somewhat recent but what you guys think?? Should I reset the oil settings?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dbbspider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 escalade ext

Re: Getting "Check Engine Oil" Message...

I would reset the OLI when u change ur oil

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Check engine oil message is NOT a change engine oil message

I would check it ASAP to make sure it ain't low if its not low then a sensor is bad

I just checked the oil and the dipstick has 5 lil holes on it, oil level goes up to the 3rd hole. Do I need more oil? It should go to at least the 5th hole on dipstick?? sorry for the stupid question but not sure..

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Check engine oil message is NOT a change engine oil message

I would check it ASAP to make sure it ain't low if its not low then a sensor is bad

JihadSmaidy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    That isn't too bad, maybe a tad low. Are you checking oil on level ground with engine off? There should be a hash marked area to show oil is low. Maybe half a quart would take it to full based on what you are saying. But like posted earlier, ck oil does not mean time to change oil, you'll get message that tells you time to change oil. You should reset your oil counter with each oil change. GM has a nice algorithm to calculate when you should change your oil, it isn't simply a mile calculator, it takes into account how you drive, temps, etc when it decides oil needs to be changed.

yeah engine is cold and pretty sure its level, and i see no hash mark just the holes... if the engine oil is low wonder where the oil is going to , I have no leaks on ground. Only thing that I now of I still have to change mt cat. converter which is bad but I feel no difference in engine or ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JihadSmaidy View Post
    That isn't too bad, maybe a tad low. Are you checking oil on level ground with engine off? There should be a hash marked area to show oil is low. Maybe half a quart would take it to full based on what you are saying. But like posted earlier, ck oil does not mean time to change oil, you'll get message that tells you time to change oil. You should reset your oil counter with each oil change. GM has a nice algorithm to calculate when you should change your oil, it isn't simply a mile calculator, it takes into account how you drive, temps, etc when it decides oil needs to be changed.

If you are seeing a drop in oil and no spots on ground, probably leaking to engine and you are burning the oil. You can check your exhaust, if leaking to engine will see a slight bluish tint to exhaust. But if you are talking about half a quart in 2500 miles, not huge leak if an older car (might be hard to detect). But should look into it, will only get worse. Could be leaking to coolant system. That is easy to check, coolant will appear and feel oily. What year is your car? I can tell you when I change oil, I sometimes check oil level prior and it has always shown full.

One thing is miles my truck does use some oil between changes but its like half a quart which I have been told is normal for high mileage engines (truck has 170,000 miles)

ok its a 2003, but i was reading around and someone has issue similar when they switched over to synthetic its was getting low then theyswitched back to regular oil and it was fine. This was my first time putting synthetic oil in my truck, i just bought it in March , has 117k now.

Quote Originally Posted by JihadSmaidy View Post
    If you are seeing a drop in oil and no spots on ground, probably leaking to engine and you are burning the oil. You can check your exhaust, if leaking to engine will see a slight bluish tint to exhaust. But if you are talking about half a quart in 2500 miles, not huge leak if an older car (might be hard to detect). But should look into it, will only get worse. Could be leaking to coolant system. That is easy to check, coolant will appear and feel oily. What year is your car? I can tell you when I change oil, I sometimes check oil level prior and it has always shown full.

So you don't have that many miles on it. I have only used synthetic in my cadillac. Doesn't seem like switching from regular to synthetic would cause to start leaking around gaskets and what not. Unless there is a break in period? Maybe after so long the seals and gaskets readjust? I have had other cars I switched over to synthetic that pervious owner used regular and didn't experience oil loss (or at least didn't notice one). Like last post, when you start putting a lot of miles on a car, losing some oil to the engine normal. But he is saying half a quart over an oil change, you are about double that with not that many miles on it. Anyone heard of switching to synthetic cause small oil leak?

Quote Originally Posted by JihadSmaidy
    So you don't have that many miles on it. I have only used synthetic in my cadillac. Doesn't seem like switching from regular to synthetic would cause to start leaking around gaskets and what not. Unless there is a break in period? Maybe after so long the seals and gaskets readjust? I have had other cars I switched over to synthetic that pervious owner used regular and didn't experience oil loss (or at least didn't notice one). Like last post, when you start putting a lot of miles on a car, losing some oil to the engine normal. But he is saying half a quart over an oil change, you are about double that with not that many miles on it. Anyone heard of switching to synthetic cause small oil leak?
    I seen it on other forums but it is still rare

ok i'll just keep my eye on it...but does anyone know about the dipstick, mine has the 5 lil holes, is it topped off once it resaches the 5th hole?

Quote Originally Posted by sosatyme72
    ok i'll just keep my eye on it...but does anyone know about the dipstick, mine has the 5 lil holes, is it topped off once it resaches the 5th hole?
    Mine is the same way

These trucks hold 6quarts of oil when full

Haven't had my oil changed yet so I can't comment as to where its at on the dipstick

Yes, topped off when at top of 5th hole. I am pretty sure each hole is like 1/4 of a quart so add half a quart and see if that fills her up.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

The dipstick on mine has hash marks and a solid line at the top of them. That's where I fill it to.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.