Led map light issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Led map light issue in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Ok like the title says I just replaced my map lights with new LEDs and on the dome light they ...
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Ok like the title says I just replaced my map lights with new LEDs and on the dome light they work fine but my map lights don't unless I either turn on the dome lights then off or open the visor mirror and close it then the map lights work as they should

Do I need a load equalizer or what??

I plan on replacing all of them over time and want to fix this so I don't have dim map lights

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mark Edward Morrison is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    That is weird?? I have all my lights LED in my 04 doesn't do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Edward Morrison
    That is weird?? I have all my lights LED in my 04 doesn't do that?
    What gets me is it says on the package that it should work with most light out detection systems

I have some in my dads h2 and does the same thing

I also have some in my moms 02 but not sure it does it or not

I love the brightness of the LEDs but this issue is annoying plus they match with the led strips I have for the footwells(I wired them to the map lights just never had this issue before)

I will post a pic of how they look in the truck heck they outdo my door lights now

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Re: Led map light issue

I am at a loss, sorry

Any idea what kind of resister or load equalizer I could use??

I know that's the issue just have to fix it

----------

Here is a pic of the map lights and my added footwell lights only

[IMG][/IMG]

So far I have
    led taillights
    Led drls
    Led map and footwell lights(footwell lights are not factory 03+ so I added mine)

What do you think?

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

I have the same problem. Sometimes my map lights are at full brightness. When they are, I can open the vanity visor and those lights are full bright also. Sometimes my map lights will only light up about 60 percent bright. When that happens, they will shut off if I open the vanity mirror and the mirror lights turn on. When I close the mirror, the map light turns back on at about 60 percent again.

I can't figure out what causes it to go into the "dim mode". I am running vled bulbs in all the interior pieces.

----------

TCM,

Do you know where the vanity mirror lamps are in the circuit? I don't know if they are before or after the map light bulbs. I am also thinking of adding an inline resistor somewhere in the circuit to simulate an incandescent bulb but I don't know what value to use or where to use it. What baffles me is sometimes both the vanity and map bulbs work perfectly in my truck and other times I get this dimming issue.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Man all I can say is those LEDs are beautiful, nice work.

I hope you guys can collectively figure out the problem(s) you are experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax
    I have the same problem. Sometimes my map lights are at full brightness. When they are, I can open the vanity visor and those lights are full bright also. Sometimes my map lights will only light up about 60 percent bright. When that happens, they will shut off if I open the vanity mirror and the mirror lights turn on. When I close the mirror, the map light turns back on at about 60 percent again. I can't figure out what causes it to go into the "dim mode". I am running vled bulbs in all the interior pieces. ---------- TCM, Do you know where the vanity mirror lamps are in the circuit? I don't know if they are before or after the map light bulbs. I am also thinking of adding an inline resistor somewhere in the circuit to simulate an incandescent bulb but I don't know what value to use or where to use it. What baffles me is sometimes both the vanity and map bulbs work perfectly in my truck and other times I get this dimming issue.
    I am already on the resistior for the wiring

There is a junction block under the dash on the drivers side I am going to take some time and probe the wiring on it to find the right wire

Its just finding the right value to use to fool the system into thinking a regular bulb is in place

The wire that we need to splice into works both console lights and the visor lights so all we need to do is match the value of one bulb and we should be golden

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv
    Man all I can say is those LEDs are beautiful, nice work. I hope you guys can collectively figure out the problem(s) you are experiencing.
    Thanks man I love them

I plan on doing the whole truck inside and out
    Already have
    Led taillights (aftermarket housings)
    Led drls

Led foot well light strips(pm me if you want to add them)

I already ordered some festoon bulbs for the dome lights and the reading lights for the second and third row seats
    Along with some led peanut bulbs to do the doors

I hate yellow light it makes the truck look really old

Also am doing out my car with LEDs in and out(including the headlights) will post pics of both when I am done

Where did you tap in the + and - for your footwell lamps? I have the LEDs waiting but I haven't looked where to add them in yet. I went with 6k LEDs all around. The only ones I haven't changed out yet are the front exterior corner bulbs, the tail light/brake light bulbs and the reverse lamps.

Where did you tap in the + and - for your footwell lamps? I have the LEDs waiting but I haven't looked where to add them in yet. I went with 6k LEDs all around. The only ones I haven't changed out yet are the front exterior corner bulbs, the tail light/brake light bulbs and the reverse lamps.
    I tapped at the sockets for the map lights as I wanted them to work with the map lights pretty neat to have when you drop something in the floor at night

I can send a pic via email if you want so you can see along with more details on how did mine just shoot me a pm(I got my led strips at Walmart for a great price)

I also got the 6000k bulbs

I am on the fence of doing a hid kit or led for the back up lights(have planned on doing led and adding a extra set of led lights for extra light at night)

----------

I forgot to mention I have some more LEDs on the way for the door lights so I may try them out in the map lights to see if they act up

Anyone know where to get LEDs for the visor lights???

Cadillac man, try fyreflys.com out of Houston, TX that's where I got all of my interior LED's from. If I recall the guys name is Allen and he was a pleasure to deal with, he really knows his stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Edward Morrison
    Cadillac man, try fyreflys.com out of Houston, TX that's where I got all of my interior LED's from. If I recall the guys name is Allen and he was a pleasure to deal with, he really knows his stuff!
    Thanks I have been having issues finding certain ones on both my truck and car
    The truck is the visor lights

My car has a few bulbs I haven't been able to find
    One is number 57
    One is number 562
    One is number 756
    One is number 74

Other then that I am good on the others

I will check out the site though if the ones I have ordered don't work in my truck

Odd thing is my moms 02 doesn't do this

TCM,

I got my visor mirror lamps from vleds.com. They are available in 5k, 6k, or the colors blue or red. Just go to their site and select VANITY for the bulb type. They are the perfect fit for our visor mirror lamps. They are 1.79 each and sold per bulb (we need 4). They are nice and match all my other LEDs perfectly. I think I am going to go with their LEDs for reverse lamps also. Ill pm you my email and take you up for the photo offer in your post above. Thanks!

TCM, I got my visor mirror lamps from vleds.com. They are available in 5k, 6k, or the colors blue or red. Just go to their site and select VANITY for the bulb type. They are the perfect fit for our visor mirror lamps. They are 1.79 each and sold per bulb (we need 4). They are nice and match all my other LEDs perfectly. I think I am going to go with their LEDs for reverse lamps also. Ill pm you my email and take you up for the photo offer in your post above. Thanks!
    Sweet I got the 6000k bulbs and want them all to match

That's what I have in my interior of mine. The 6000K just kind of give it a newer look in my opinion.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.