cold winter morning starts
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, cold winter morning starts in Cadillac Escalade Forums; How long are we supposed to warm up the escalades for in cold weather? Winter came early this year to ...
  1. #1
    JihadSmaidy's Avatar
    JihadSmaidy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    24

    cold winter morning starts

    How long are we supposed to warm up the escalades for in cold weather? Winter came early this year to Mi, I typically only let the car idle for half a minute and go. I haven't noticed any issues but wonder if I am doing damage over long run, couldn't find a manufacturer recommendation. Temps been in teens to single digits, I thought sooner I drive quicker engine warms up. Your thoughts or does anyone know what GM recommends? I have 6.0 AWD

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,447
    It won't hurt to let it sit for a bit in cold weather

    We had teen temps here in Tennessee one winter and it took my truck at least 10-15mins to start putting out heat(with freezing my butt till the seat warmer fully warmed me up)

  4. #3
    dbbspider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 escalade ext
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    35

    Re: cold winter morning starts

    You should be fine, especially if you use 0w30 motor oil.

  5. #4
    JihadSmaidy's Avatar
    JihadSmaidy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    24
    I changed the oil couple months ago and put in 5w30, just because that is what manual recommended.

  6. #5
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    21,004
    Technically, the best thing for an engine is to get everything up to temp as soon as possible. Unless the temp is EXTREMELY cold (well below freezing), no warm up is needed or recommended. Just drive normally until it reaches normal operating temperature. In extremely cold temperatures, idling for a minute or so is fine.

    That said, don't obsess over it. If you have remote start, go ahead and let it warm up for 10/15 minutes before you get in. You're not going to hurt anything.

  7. #6
    JihadSmaidy's Avatar
    JihadSmaidy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    24
    Man you said it, when it comes to the escalade I do obsess overt it! Alright thanks for the advice, that helps me chill out, puts my mind at ease.

  8. #7
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,447
    Glad to help

  9. #8
    02ELADE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: cold winter morning starts

    Been under 0 here in MN, i give it 5-10min when i can but it doesnt always happen...its a chevy small block, it'll be fine!

  10. #9
    wake's Avatar
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    538

    Re: cold winter morning starts

    The general rule is vehicles don't need a warm up period. My take however is that rule doesn't take into account long term ownership. Manufacturers build vehicles to last reliably until the warranty period runs out, not for 250K miles of trouble free ownership. Until the recession most people seemed to trade in vehicles every 5 years when their payments ran out, or ever 3 years on leases and manufacturers didn't base recommendations on 10 year of ownership.

    My warm-up period depends on my driving conditions and comfort. I live in the country now with slower roads so when I drive my STS with remote start I let it run 3-5 minutes in winter for my comfort. When I drive one of the cars without remote start I just jump in and go because I don't have to rev or run the engine hard. It gets nice and warm in the 8 miles before I jump on the highway and hit 75 mph. Leaving work in D.C., I park in an underground garage but I have a few miles of 25 mph streets to negotiate before getting on I95, so there I also just jump in and go.

    When I lived in L.A., the freeway on-ramp was literally 100 yards from the parking lot. There I let the car run about 15 minutes before I had to get on it hard to enter the freeways with their short on-ramps or stop lights at the end of the ramp.

    The reason for warm-up on an engine is to let the parts get to or closer to their normal expansion states before working them hard. If you're not working the engine hard then you really don't need to warm it up. But it is a real phenomena, it's why a lot of engines have piston slap until they warm up.

  11. #10
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,447
    Wake that is true but the companies never took into account in cars like mine lasting so long either(79 Chrysler cordoba) with little trouble(yes it has been almost trouble free minus a few maintenance things)down side is I only have one dash light in the car and who knows how much loner it will last

    I won't get to find out though as I am converting it to LEDs on everything

  12. #11
    wake's Avatar
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    538

    Re: cold winter morning starts

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Wake that is true but the companies never took into account in cars like mine lasting so long either(79 Chrysler cordoba) with little trouble(yes it has been almost trouble free minus a few maintenance things)down side is I only have one dash light in the car and who knows how much loner it will last

    I won't get to find out though as I am converting it to LEDs on everything
    True, you get the odd one out here and there. Not too many 79 Cordobas running around out there today though.

    How many of us are on second or more transmissions, differentials, etc though? My 05 has a replacement Jasper transmission in it, was there when I bought it at 83K miles. The front diff looks to be on its last legs as well at 90K miles. Meanwhile, my friend with an 06 Denali has 170K, doesn't perform the maintenance until 2 months after oil life reads 0%, has never serviced the diffs, transfer case, or transmission. Her truck with almost twice the mileage is all original and still runs and drives better than my 05. Go figure.

    But the practices the American auto industry had 20+ years ago was build it to get it past warranty, nothing else (check your 79's warranty info it was probably a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty back then). I had the shop manual for my 88 Camaro. In the engine rebuild section there was a description of how the crank bearings were matched to the crankshaft during the factory assembly. The cranks weren't manufactured to exacting specs and a note in the shop manual states there may be three different oversize crank bearings because of this process. I was pretty amazed that you would find that kind of slop in a factory build.

    Thanks goodness the Japanese auto makers forced the American manufacturers to do a better job. If they hadn't lost so much market share to the Asians they'd still be building 70s and 80s quality in today's vehicles.

  13. #12
    Retrax's Avatar
    Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade EXT
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    226

    Re: cold winter morning starts

    This is hilarious. I had a 76 Cordoba (threw a rod at 99 thousand miles) that my dad bought new. My high school buddy had a 79. Then I met a girl in 96 who also had a 76 Cordoba in high school. Two of my other friends I met later in life also had Cordobas in high school. We always laugh about the Cordoba Club. The thing is, I never remember seeing them all over the place in the 70's or 80's but they must have made a ton of them and they lost enough resale value to be a cheap car for the kids. Mine had a 360 with a 2bbl carb on it. That thing rusted like no other car I have ever owned.

  14. #13
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrax
    This is hilarious. I had a 76 Cordoba (threw a rod at 99 thousand miles) that my dad bought new. My high school buddy had a 79. Then I met a girl in 96 who also had a 76 Cordoba in high school. Two of my other friends I met later in life also had Cordobas in high school. We always laugh about the Cordoba Club. The thing is, I never remember seeing them all over the place in the 70's or 80's but they must have made a ton of them and they lost enough resale value to be a cheap car for the kids. Mine had a 360 with a 2bbl carb on it. That thing rusted like no other car I have ever owned.
    Mine has the 318 2bbl carb and supriseingly it has very little rust(mostly on the hood) but is in need of a new paint job I love the car and plan on keeping it as long as I can
    Other then that it can keep up with the newer cars but the lean burn crap is bs thanks to the EPA

  15. #14
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,447
    Quote Originally Posted by wake
    True, you get the odd one out here and there. Not too many 79 Cordobas running around out there today though. How many of us are on second or more transmissions, differentials, etc though? My 05 has a replacement Jasper transmission in it, was there when I bought it at 83K miles. The front diff looks to be on its last legs as well at 90K miles. Meanwhile, my friend with an 06 Denali has 170K, doesn't perform the maintenance until 2 months after oil life reads 0%, has never serviced the diffs, transfer case, or transmission. Her truck with almost twice the mileage is all original and still runs and drives better than my 05. Go figure. But the practices the American auto industry had 20+ years ago was build it to get it past warranty, nothing else (check your 79's warranty info it was probably a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty back then). I had the shop manual for my 88 Camaro. In the engine rebuild section there was a description of how the crank bearings were matched to the crankshaft during the factory assembly. The cranks weren't manufactured to exacting specs and a note in the shop manual states there may be three different oversize crank bearings because of this process. I was pretty amazed that you would find that kind of slop in a factory build. Thanks goodness the Japanese auto makers forced the American manufacturers to do a better job. If they hadn't lost so much market share to the Asians they'd still be building 70s and 80s quality in today's vehicles.

    I beg to differ on the foreign cars making the American car companies make better cars we brought them over here and showed them how to make a good car plus they now use the same parts makers as the American car companies

    The market share dropped because a lot of people believed the hype of the foreign car companies (I have family that work at gm and Chrysler and my dad worked at ford)

    You ever wonder how Bose has done so good this long its in the marketing really not in speaker materials but I am not knocking them just using them as example

    I had a 99 Chrysler Concorde before I got my truck and it wasn't bad on fuel but the electrical was crap you want to know why Mercedes I have a cousin who works at Chrysler and he said the Chrysler suffered big time when Mercedes owned them

    Trust me I know more about the automotive industry then you think

  16. #15
    wake's Avatar
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    538

    Re: cold winter morning starts

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I beg to differ on the foreign cars making the American car companies make better cars we brought them over here and showed them how to make a good car plus they now use the same parts makers as the American car companies

    The market share dropped because a lot of people believed the hype of the foreign car companies (I have family that work at gm and Chrysler and my dad worked at ford)

    You ever wonder how Bose has done so good this long its in the marketing really not in speaker materials but I am not knocking them just using them as example

    I had a 99 Chrysler Concorde before I got my truck and it wasn't bad on fuel but the electrical was crap you want to know why Mercedes I have a cousin who works at Chrysler and he said the Chrysler suffered big time when Mercedes owned them

    Trust me I know more about the automotive industry then you think
    Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm sure you do have quite a bit of knowledge coming from an automotive family (maybe a little bias too?), but the Asian market taking over wasn't just hype. Remember, owning an Asian car used to be something looked down upon by other Americans as unpatriotic, that's quite a hurdle hype alone doesn't overcome. On the flip-side, I think the American makers relied too much on people staying loyal to an American brand and didn't focus on quality until they were threatened with losing more market share than they already had.

    Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my GMs but the simple truth IMO is they still aren't up to par on quality with the Asian makers although they are getting up there.

    I'm no enthusiast of Asian cars, I've owned one trying to go the economy route once (daily 100 mile work commute) and only kept it six months, absolutely hated that car. I don't feel any excitement at all when looking at or driving anything Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai, etc produce. GM has the perfect ergonomics and styling for me. I've had 18 GMs over my lifetime, 1 Honda, and now 1 Audi.

    German cars though as you mentioned with Mercedes have issues. I'm hoping that my experiment in German autos is successful though. When shopping for an AWD sedan I couldn't get excited about an AWD STS and I worried about GM not having a long AWD history. I couldn't see myself driving a Subaru, none of their vehicles excite me.

    After talking to a co-worker I took a chance on Audi. I wound up with an 05 A6 with the 4.2L V8 and S-Line package. That car is pure fun to drive, a real driver's car. Outside of the pure power of the SC Northstar the A6 is much more fun, predictable, and in fit and finish I'd say it's better than my V. If I had known more about Audi before buying the V and the A6, I'd probably have an S6 or S8 right now. About 30 less HP than my V in Audi's V10 but I don't think I'd miss it. I'd also have one less car to maintain and insure as the S series I was looking at are AWD vehicles.

    Another issue was the American manufacturers abandoning the less profitable compact car market. It took a real wakeup call for them to focus on developing a competitive economy car. I saw an interesting interview with the head of GM a few years back where they admitted that mistake (think it was related to the debut of the Chevy Cruze). He mentioned the $20K per Escalade in pure profit against the $700 per Cavalier profit margin and explained the profit numbers drove the business plan. GM even abandoned the Caprice (and our Impala SS) after 96 and switched over to more truck production. They had a solid customer in law enforcement and a decent civilian following, I never understood killing it. It wasn't until domestics faced hurt from first hurricane Katrina (gas prices), then when that didn't teach them the financial crisis in 08 hit them hard when people stopped buying $40K+ vehicles in large numbers.

    Again though, GM has gotten much better. The quality of the leather on my 03 and 07 STS and 05 Escalade is much better than the cracked leather of the 94 and 98 Cadillacs I owned. Even my 96 Corvette which I bought as a CPO vehicle had quality issues. The leather seats were cracked before the bumper to bumper warranty ran out, the top de-bonded from the frame, etc. No replacement from GM though as the leather didn't split, only cracked. The Northstar engine has also gotten much better though, head bolts pulling out, case half leaks you don't hear about anymore, and the MRC system is much better than the old electro-mechanical valved shocks. The 03 STS struts still rode great at 90K miles, the older electro-mechanical in my 94 and 98 were junk that didn't even make 60K miles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting