cold winter morning starts - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, cold winter morning starts in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by wake Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm sure you do have quite a bit of ...
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by wake
    Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm sure you do have quite a bit of knowledge coming from an automotive family (maybe a little bias too?), but the Asian market taking over wasn't just hype. Remember, owning an Asian car used to be something looked down upon by other Americans as unpatriotic, that's quite a hurdle hype alone doesn't overcome. On the flip-side, I think the American makers relied too much on people staying loyal to an American brand and didn't focus on quality until they were threatened with losing more market share than they already had. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my GMs but the simple truth IMO is they still aren't up to par on quality with the Asian makers although they are getting up there. I'm no enthusiast of Asian cars, I've owned one trying to go the economy route once (daily 100 mile work commute) and only kept it six months, absolutely hated that car. I don't feel any excitement at all when looking at or driving anything Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai, etc produce. GM has the perfect ergonomics and styling for me. I've had 18 GMs over my lifetime, 1 Honda, and now 1 Audi. German cars though as you mentioned with Mercedes have issues. I'm hoping that my experiment in German autos is successful though. When shopping for an AWD sedan I couldn't get excited about an AWD STS and I worried about GM not having a long AWD history. I couldn't see myself driving a Subaru, none of their vehicles excite me. After talking to a co-worker I took a chance on Audi. I wound up with an 05 A6 with the 4.2L V8 and S-Line package. That car is pure fun to drive, a real driver's car. Outside of the pure power of the SC Northstar the A6 is much more fun, predictable, and in fit and finish I'd say it's better than my V. If I had known more about Audi before buying the V and the A6, I'd probably have an S6 or S8 right now. About 30 less HP than my V in Audi's V10 but I don't think I'd miss it. I'd also have one less car to maintain and insure as the S series I was looking at are AWD vehicles. Another issue was the American manufacturers abandoning the less profitable compact car market. It took a real wakeup call for them to focus on developing a competitive economy car. I saw an interesting interview with the head of GM a few years back where they admitted that mistake (think it was related to the debut of the Chevy Cruze). He mentioned the $20K per Escalade in pure profit against the $700 per Cavalier profit margin and explained the profit numbers drove the business plan. GM even abandoned the Caprice (and our Impala SS) after 96 and switched over to more truck production. They had a solid customer in law enforcement and a decent civilian following, I never understood killing it. It wasn't until domestics faced hurt from first hurricane Katrina (gas prices), then when that didn't teach them the financial crisis in 08 hit them hard when people stopped buying $40K+ vehicles in large numbers. Again though, GM has gotten much better. The quality of the leather on my 03 and 07 STS and 05 Escalade is much better than the cracked leather of the 94 and 98 Cadillacs I owned. Even my 96 Corvette which I bought as a CPO vehicle had quality issues. The leather seats were cracked before the bumper to bumper warranty ran out, the top de-bonded from the frame, etc. No replacement from GM though as the leather didn't split, only cracked. The Northstar engine has also gotten much better though, head bolts pulling out, case half leaks you don't hear about anymore, and the MRC system is much better than the old electro-mechanical valved shocks. The 03 STS struts still rode great at 90K miles, the older electro-mechanical in my 94 and 98 were junk that didn't even make 60K miles.
    I agree with you on certain points and no I am nowhere being bias

My Grandmaw has a 95 Toyota pickup its only plus I like it is fuel use that's it (now it has a engine issue that would cost more then she wants to pay to fix)

My uncle had a Toyota truck(about the same year) and he went through two front ends before he got rid of it as it got to costly for him to keep as a daily driver(he now has a late 90 Chevy truck and hasn't many problems out of it)

Now lately my moms 02 was in the shop to replace the evap canister the service manager let me go and get something to eat and the loaner was a Subaru and will the car wasn't bad for a 03 it just made me feel like I was driving a go kart on the road(it did have the all wheel drive)

Gm has been behind Chrysler on the all wheel drive cars though(one plus Chrysler has) but Chryslers shocks were crap during the time mercades was with them(haven't drove a newer Chrysler car yet to see if they ever improved)

My dad had a vw rabbit (he told me it would really move) after he took in for the tune up it never was the same car(he sold it before he went to service(nam veteran))

There is a guy who works at the collage I went to and he has a geo(he worked a ford dealer in the service) he had a family member who had a vw bug(the guy raved about the mpg) first crash and the guy changed his tune really quick as he almost didn't make it out of the wreck

All of the big three did dumb moves on the fleet customers (ford with the crown Vic is one)

Gm brought back out the caprice though its a fleet only car now

Chrysler is getting in with the police force more now and most of the cops in my area either drive the older crown vics(that haven't been retired from service) or dodge chargers

If I sounded bias I am not(just not a fan of the foreign cars) if you look on a lot of the foreign car boards they will give troubles

But any recalls from them(foreign brands) never was on the news as they didn't want to have they're rep tarnished (remember the run away Lexus) thanks to Toyota having the accelerator problems the ntsa made them fix it

Since that they now have any recalls shown on the news

Not going to knock Audi as I almost got one(I know it had all wheel drive) but needed something good for winter plus I like the style of them

axe
    axe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 94 Fleetwood Brougham, 02 Escalade

Re: cold winter morning starts

Dollar for dollar I think American cars are actually pretty good in the quality department today. Asian cars might have had an edge on quality before but I'm not certain that holds true anymore. Besides, Jap-car design is something I personally don't understand. When they try it with a sober design they look plain boring and when they try to do something different the end result looks like a bug.

I also like the fact that many engines are easy to rebuild(pushrod) and parts are plentiful and relatively cheap, yet they are fuel efficient and powerful.

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by axe
    Dollar for dollar I think American cars are actually pretty good in the quality department today. Asian cars might have had an edge on quality before but I'm not certain that holds true anymore. Besides, Jap-car design is something I personally don't understand. When they try it with a sober design they look plain boring and when they try to do something different the end result looks like a bug. I also like the fact that many engines are easy to rebuild(pushrod) and parts are plentiful and relatively cheap, yet they are fuel efficient and powerful.
    One example of the bug design is the Nissan juke or joke as I like to put it (and people that threw off on the hummers styling hasn't said a thing about the joke)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.