Service Ride Control - Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Service Ride Control - Question in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. The Service Ride Control message popped up on my 04 Escalade. I've ...
    rpulawski is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Escalade

Service Ride Control - Question

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

The Service Ride Control message popped up on my 04 Escalade. I've read the threads regarding this, and the "Million Dollar Question" thread as well, but I guess I just don't understand (I'm basically a change the oil, rotate the tires, replace easily accessible parts guy; most everything else is beyond my knowledge).

Can someone explain in layman's terms what is wrong and if it's something I can repair / replace myself or if I should take it to the shop? And if it's a shop job (shocks / air comp?) can I just take it to a place like Tuffy (hate to waste money at dealership if avoidable)

Symptoms:
    Service Ride Control message
    Loud motor / pump sound coming from rear (almost sounds like a louder fuel pump sound) - 10 seconds or so when starting up and occasionally after that
    Just started noticing a "whooshing" sound while driving

From what I've read, it seems like it could be the air compressor / shocks? Again, this is not my area of expertise, so be gentle!

Thanks a million, guys!

----------

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4201197

I believe this is what I need, from reading other threads, but just making sure. I hear the Arnott comps run loud, so this Dorman comp was suggested in another thread. If this in fact is what I need, how difficult is the install?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The message can be triggered by several things. You'll have to have your codes pulled to know what, specifically, is wrong. Take the truck to a parts store, they'll scan it for free. List the code/s and definition/s here.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Parts store won't be able to pull the suspension system codes any gm dealer can

Get the codes and post them

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The readers at my local AutoZones can pull C codes.

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0
    The dorman compressor is very easy to install but I would inspect your shock bladders first to make sure they are not torn. Sounds like you either have a leak or an issue w the exhaust solenoid. Just guessing wo codes.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    The readers at my local AutoZones can pull C codes.
    Not mine I have asked before and I also have the same scanner they use(planning on getting a tech 2)

rpulawski is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Escalade

Re: Service Ride Control - Question

Quote Originally Posted by z0lt3c View Post
    The dorman compressor is very easy to install but I would inspect your shock bladders first to make sure they are not torn. Sounds like you either have a leak or an issue w the exhaust solenoid. Just guessing wo codes.
    I'm pretty sure it's my air compressor. Used to come on (really loud) for 30 seconds or so when first firing up the truck. Now, it doesn't come on and I'm getting the Service Ride message. From reading the other threads, sounds like the air compressor needs replaced (I'll go with the Dorman over the Arnott). I hear it's plug and play which sounds easy, but is it easy to get too? I think it's behind the left rear wheel but I'm rather novice when it comes to auto work. Is the install pretty easy?

Quote Originally Posted by rpulawski
    I'm pretty sure it's my air compressor. Used to come on (really loud) for 30 seconds or so when first firing up the truck. Now, it doesn't come on and I'm getting the Service Ride message. From reading the other threads, sounds like the air compressor needs replaced (I'll go with the Dorman over the Arnott). I hear it's plug and play which sounds easy, but is it easy to get too? I think it's behind the left rear wheel but I'm rather novice when it comes to auto work. Is the install pretty easy?

Two its easy to get to and it is just behind the drivers side rear wheel on the frame

dahubby98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade ext

Re: Service Ride Control - Question

Three size 13 bolts hold it in place. You may need to pry on it a little to get it loose because it fits tight to the studs that are in place. Literally a 30 minute job if you're swtiching to the Dorman

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.