My 2003 Escalade 6.0 Project... - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, My 2003 Escalade 6.0 Project... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Got around to replacing my broken passenger side fog light today. I went with a TYC housing from amazon.com and ...
    z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

Re: My 2003 Escalade 6.0 Project...

Got around to replacing my broken passenger side fog light today. I went with a TYC housing from amazon.com and then decided to upgrade to a 35W 6K HID kit in both fogs. The fog light housing is a PIA to change, you will need a small ratchet and 7mm socket to get to the three screws, and smaller hands then I have. I found it best to start them with the ratchet and then turn the socket with your fingers. The screws will probably be quite corroded, you may want to replace them, they are not included w/ the housing.

With the housing installed, you have to slightly bend out the "bulb shield", inside the housing, to fit the HID bulb. You don't have to bend it back very much. Finding a spot for the ballast is a little tricky but I found a flat surface on both sides to use for mounting with the included double faced tape. I hope that tape holds. Of course now I have one new looking housing and one older OEM housing, we shall see how much that bothers me.

On another note, I have an appointment w/ the Chevrolet dealer for Monday to have them check the leaky PS pump and diagnose the rear air suspension. Finally starting to get towards the end of my basic repairs list.

Low + Fog

Fog Only

I got a new favorite snow pic;

jnrsesv likes this.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by z0lt3c
    Got around to replacing my broken passenger side fog light today. I went with a TYC housing from amazon.com and then decided to upgrade to a 35W 6K HID kit in both fogs. The fog light housing is a PIA to change, you will need a small ratchet and 7mm socket to get to the three screws, and smaller hands then I have. I found it best to start them with the ratchet and then turn the socket with your fingers. The screws will probably be quite corroded, you may want to replace them, they are not included w/ the housing. With the housing installed, you have to slightly bend out the "bulb shield", inside the housing, to fit the HID bulb. You don't have to bend it back very much. Finding a spot for the ballast is a little tricky but I found a flat surface on both sides to use for mounting with the included double faced tape. I hope that tape holds. Of course now I have one new looking housing and one older OEM housing, we shall see how much that bothers me. On another note, I have an appointment w/ the Chevrolet dealer for Monday to have them check the leaky PS pump and diagnose the rear air suspension. Finally starting to get towards the end of my basic repairs list. Low + Fog Fog Only I got a new favorite snow pic;
    Cool I got the tyc fog light housings also I didn't have to bend the metal piece before I put the job bulbs in no problems the aim is key on them as they have to provide a good light path without being too high to where they blind the oncoming drivers(mine was like that before I aimed them properly)

I went with the 4300k bulbs as they match the stock low beams(which are also 4300K) plus side is you get more lumens

As far as mounting the ballasts get some heavy duty zip ties and use four I can post a pic of how I have mine if you need it) haven't had a problem with since other then my cats playing with the wiring and causing them to blow the fuse every time I turned them on but I have fixed it since

Sweet snow pic I wish it would snow here some so I could snap a few pics to post

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

I went with the 4300 like TCM ^ recommended awhile ago.

I like the "new snow picture" thanks for posting it up.

Not all bulbs are the same, some are longer then others. I went with a Xentec HID kit, the bulbs must have been longer then your Kensun kit, since I had to bend them a slight bit.

4300 would match better, I don't know I kinda prefer the 6K color. I'll probably switch the low beams over to 6K as well.

I would definitely like to see other mounting solutions for the ballast. I tried to use some zip ties but I could find a good place to loop them high enough to my liking.

Not all bulbs are the same, some are longer then others. I went with a Xentec HID kit, the bulbs must have been longer then your Kensun kit, since I had to bend them a slight bit. 4300 would match better, I don't know I kinda prefer the 6K color. I'll probably switch the low beams over to 6K as well. I would definitely like to see other mounting solutions for the ballast. I tried to use some zip ties but I could find a good place to loop them high enough to my liking.
    Its possible that the bulbs are different lengths

I tried a 6k kit in my high beams and found them hard on my eyes while driving(plus you LOSE lumens)

I will post the pics of how I have my ballasts zip tied as soon as I can(been really busy lately) it is a tad tricky to mount them in a place where they won't get damaged but since they are waterproof "supposedly" they should be ok but I did have one ballast fail due to water intrusion (no clue how it got to the electronics) but it was replaced under warranty(it was one on my high beams)

Tylus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

awesome detail about fixing up your rig. I don't have the time anymore for "fix 'er uppers". wish I did though, because I actually enjoy the process, besides the annoying electrical gremlins
    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I went with the 4300k bulbs as they match the stock low beams(which are also 4300K) plus side is you get more lumens
    thx for that info. I thought the low beams were 6k's. My wifes old 2012 flex had 6k HID's and those puppies were brighter than day. I've been unhappy with the HID's in the Escalade and after the holidays plan on upgrading to the Kenson setup. thx for the pictures btw. They helped sell the wife on the "upgrade"

now the question is: do I do 4300k or 6k HID's for heads and fogs? I'm leaning towards the 6k for the whiteness factor. I had laser eye surgery in 2008 and white light is easier for me to see. I have 20/15 vision both eyes, but for some reason "yellow" lights make it hard for me to see dark/shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylus
    awesome detail about fixing up your rig. I don't have the time anymore for "fix 'er uppers". wish I did though, because I actually enjoy the process, besides the annoying electrical gremlins thx for that info. I thought the low beams were 6k's. My wifes old 2012 flex had 6k HID's and those puppies were brighter than day. I've been unhappy with the HID's in the Escalade and after the holidays plan on upgrading to the Kenson setup. thx for the pictures btw. They helped sell the wife on the "upgrade" now the question is: do I do 4300k or 6k HID's for heads and fogs? I'm leaning towards the 6k for the whiteness factor. I had laser eye surgery in 2008 and white light is easier for me to see. I have 20/15 vision both eyes, but for some reason "yellow" lights make it hard for me to see dark/shadows.
    The light from the kensun kits and bulbs are white with a slight tinge of yellow(it goes away after the bulbs break in

I have been working, since I got this vehicle, on troubleshooting the 2nd row headrest monitor system, which it came equipped. It consists of two vizualogic 7" screens and little else obviously included. At one point there was a DVD player wired under the bench seat, but that was removed and now only the wiring remained. I also did not get the remote or any wireless headsets. The problem is that the screens had no obvious on/off buttons and I cannot turn them on. I have been searching for a replacement remote for many weeks, but this 7 year old system was impossible to find replacement parts. It doesn't even have a model number on it. I have now collected many incorrect vizualogic parts in the process...

This weekend, following many of good posts here, I finally found time to remove the dash trim plus the upper and lower center console trim to access the cavity under the center console. There I found the two dual channel A/V control modules, one cabled to each screen and then connected to a video Y feed from the old DVD player location, and a 49mhz 3 band stereo transmitter, cabled to the audio feed from the old DVD player location. I now knew how the system was cabled but I still could not get the screens to turn on. At this point I removed one of the screens from the headrest and disassembled it. I found that the PCB used for the control board has a section for a power switch, but there was no power switch equipped on the unit. I went and reconnected the now disassembled screen to the vehicle, and momentarily jumped the contacts for the power switch on the control board, and sure enough the screen finally turned on!! Must have spent 20 hours to finally get a stupid screen to turn on...

I then got sidetracked for the rest of the day trying to modify a power switch into the vizualogic control board. Short version here is that all my attempts to force the power on at startup by jumping either the power switch or relay, resulted in failure (various reasons). However while tracing out the circuit board I noticed it most definitely had an IR receiver and that receiver traced out it's leads to a samsung based chip. I was now convinced that this system was designed to require the remote. Finally, I grabbed one my my DirecTV RC65 remotes, these have code scanning capabilities. Well I put the remote into code scanning mode and sure enough about 30 codes in I found the right code to trigger a power on!!

Pretty happy that I seem to now have a functional monitor system, and all I needed in the end was a DirecTV remote to turn it on. Updates coming later to upgrade the system w/ a digital media player and audio line input at the HU.

Anything aftermarket is tricky to figure out over the internet

May I suggest replacing the whole system and not worry about it

Just got the escalade back from the chevrolet dealer addressing the rear air suspension problems. At first they were unable to communicate w/ the scm module via the tech 2 tool and suspected a bad module, I was not happy... However eventually they diagnosed the problem to a faulty connector on one of three harness connections into the scm. They repaired the harness connector, connected it all back and the 10 amp IGN 3 fuse immediately blew. They replaced the fuse, and now everything seems to be stable, I seem to be back in business!! It did cost $130 for the diag/repair, but at least I have a solution that didn't require me to replace sensors or scm. Keeping my fingers crossed the fuse doesn't blow again.

More then likely they crossed a wire when they spliced the harness

I wouldn't worry about it blowing the fuse

I've gone a week now and the suspension leveling system has stayed functional. I even had some good fortune today and just picked-up a set of like-new Monroe 40044 speciality shocks on craigslist for $100. Planning to remove the front axle Strutmaster system and go back to the OEM autoride. Not that I felt the strutmaster ride was that terrible, but I am hoping the Monroe will reduce the body roll a little.

I've also been making progress on improving the stereo and video system in the vehicle. The Vizualogic 7" headrest monitors are now fully functional with my Micca Speck media player, but I am still waiting for a TNR lux headunit to arrive, planning to replace the INR I've got installed now, and then make the final audio connections.

Awesome and killer deal on the shocks man(I wish I was that lucky)

snowing again here in the northeast, maybe alot more by tomorrow.

snowing again here in the northeast, maybe alot more by tomorrow.
    I know how you feel we just got snow here in Tennessee so I am not sure if I will get to put the rest of the LEDs I got in my truck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.