What are the options for replacing the shocks/Autoride? 2005 Escalade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, What are the options for replacing the shocks/Autoride? 2005 Escalade in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a 2005 Escalade and I'm thinking the shocks are getting old and in need of replacement. I have ...
    scottamarc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade (Base)

What are the options for replacing the shocks/Autoride? 2005 Escalade

I have a 2005 Escalade and I'm thinking the shocks are getting old and in need of replacement. I have been looking on ebay, lots of Arnott conversion kits that claim to clear the error codes from displaying. Has anyone gone this route?

Has anyone had the dealer install this conversion kit? If not, where do you have it installed?

I love my truck and want to keep it, willing to throw some money at the ride to make it smoother. It also seems like that auto-leveling compressor runs ALL THE TIME when someone is sitting in the back or there is cargo in the rear area. What's up with that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Sounds like the shocks are leaking

Take some soapy water and spray down the shock bladders while working the bumper up and down while watching for bubbles

If there is any bubbles on the shocks they will need replacing soon

To prevent the compressor from running like crazy if the shocks are leaking remove the relay on the outside of the underhood fuse box

BDuncan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: What are the options for replacing the shocks/Autoride? 2005 Escalade

The very best option (although not the cheapest) is to purchase the exact OEM shocks that are manufactured by Monroe for GM. The Monroe shocks can be had for about $215-$225 each from Amazon, Rock Auto and many others. GM list price is close to $600 each. Any dealer or repair shop can install. Arnott does not and cannot rebuild OEM shocks (nor can anyone else). Arnott sells old worn rear shocks that have been sent in as cores or from junk yards, paints them and adds a new air bag. These are not rebuilt and only have a new air bag. Arnott also sell aftermarket standard shocks with a plug in that fools the Suspension ECM from setting a trouble code. These are quality shocks from Bilstein. However this completely dissables the auto ride and stibility control features of our trucks. There are also many other quality aftermarket shocks available but ONLY the Monroe/GM magnetic fluid shocks will maintain the autoride and stability control functions.

I want to get whatever will work with the Autoride and stability system, for sure. Is there any way to see which Monroe shocks to purchase? A list of part numbers for all 4 shocks?

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

Quote Originally Posted by scottamarc View Post
    I want to get whatever will work with the Autoride and stability system, for sure. Is there any way to see which Monroe shocks to purchase? A list of part numbers for all 4 shocks?
    Best source for the Monroe's that I've found is Rockauto.com, you can use their parts locator to find the right noes. Also monroe's website has a parts lookup tool.

If they have base length model;
    40034 "Rear; Escalade Base Model; w/ Electronic Suspension" $238x2
    40044 "Front; w/ Electronic Suspension" $238x2

So you talking about $950 for the Monroes.

With the Arnott/Bilstein kit you will maintain auto-leveling in the rear with the stock compressor and stock level sensors. You can call this "autoride" or a close copy there-of. This should be a consideration for the rear. However, for the front, there really is no equivalent to the electronically controlled dampening in the Monroe/OEM parts. All of the kits I've found just bypass any input from the front sensors. This is the harder area for me to justify a solution other then Monroe/OEM, put I am going to try a cheap kit shock/spring from strutmasters and see how it feels. It's not that hard to install front and rear shocks and if you can find a good indy, it should be no more then a 2 hour job.

stanlrl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

I'll hop in - so instead of buying the "GM OEM" that list for $450ish, you are saying the Monroe is a good replacement and I don't lose anything switching away from "GM OEM" parts? Appreciate the assistance!

----------

Disregard my comment - I just saw answer on other string I started.

----------

Disregard - just got answer on another thread.

icaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think Arnott's shock is pretty good and price is actually cheaper. More important they have life time warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by icaddy
    I think Arnott's shock is pretty good and price is actually cheaper. More important they have life time warranty.
    I got mine from them and the life time warranty is because of that

I like them but I got my compressor brand new from my local dealer as I didn't want to splice the wiring of my truck

z0lt3c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0

I've got the Arnott/Bilstein solution in the rear, so no argument from me, but the OP seemed to be concern w/ full OEM system integration.

My bigger issues w/ Arnott, as I already mentioned, is they don't have an active solution for the front. The Arnott/Bilstein kit simply includes a bypass for the front sensors and ECU input.

Just so I understand, the Monroe shocks are totally compatible and work with the Escalade's Autoride and auto-leveling system. The is no "tricking" the computer or somehow bypassing the system? I think the $225-250 price is reasonable for Monroe, but not if I am losing the Autoride.

Mark Edward Morrison is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Yes they are, I have them on my truck Monroe part# 40034 for the rear and #40044 for the front if you decide to do them as we'll. if you need a compressor also, I recommend the Dorman 949-000, it is an exact OEM replacement, plug and play. I bought and have all the above product on my truck and can tell you they all work AWESOME! I bought all the above parts at RockAuto and Amazon. You pay for quality. 😉

Thank you! That's what I will do. Great info!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Edward Morrison View Post
    Yes they are, I have them on my truck Monroe part# 40034 for the rear and #40044 for the front if you decide to do them as we'll. if you need a compressor also, I recommend the Dorman 949-000, it is an exact OEM replacement, plug and play. I bought and have all the above product on my truck and can tell you they all work AWESOME! I bought all the above parts at RockAuto and Amazon. You pay for quality. ��

darth frosty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 escaled blue

Good info

8ball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 Escalade EXT

What s the load capacity on this shocks? I tow a 5,000 pound Trl and ever since I noticed my compressor doesn't come on anymore and come to find out the rear shocks rubber Round then is Ll torn up too. I want to see if I should do away with these air shocks and just go with the other after market shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball
    What s the load capacity on this shocks? I tow a 5,000 pound Trl and ever since I noticed my compressor doesn't come on anymore and come to find out the rear shocks rubber Round then is Ll torn up too. I want to see if I should do away with these air shocks and just go with the other after market shocks.
    If the compressor isn't kicking on with a load then it is needing replacing

I kept my truck stock and love the factory shocks
    Got the compressor from my local gm dealer and got the shocks from arnotts(got the "remanufactured" ones) truck is nice and stable at high speeds

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.