2005 - 6.0L - EGR Valve Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2005 - 6.0L - EGR Valve Replacement in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I think I need to replace the EGR Valve on my 2005, 6.0L Esclade but... I can't find it. I ...
    Old Timer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Esclade

2005 - 6.0L - EGR Valve Replacement

I think I need to replace the EGR Valve on my 2005, 6.0L Esclade but...
    I can't find it.
    I thought it should be right up front but I'm not seeing it...

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Old Timer

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wesyder is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I think I need to replace the EGR Valve on my 2005, 6.0L Esclade but... I can't find it. I thought it should be right up front but I'm not seeing it... Any help will be greatly appreciated... Thanks Old Timer
    there is no egr on that vehicle

Re: 2005 - 6.0L - EGR Valve Replacement

That explains why I can't find it...

How is the emission standard satisfied with out it ? What other features does it have that make up the difference ?

----------

My thoughts were based on an intermittent stumbling idle, and a low idle...
    Almost like it's running "Late" or the timing is retarded... if it had a distributor I would advance the timing and re-check the situation...

That explains why I can't find it... How is the emission standard satisfied with out it ? What other features does it have that make up the difference ? ---------- My thoughts were based on an intermittent stumbling idle, and a low idle... Almost like it's running "Late" or the timing is retarded... if it had a distributor I would advance the timing and re-check the situation...
    some of it has to do with cam overlap, the exhaust and intake are at some point open together which allows exhaust back into the intake. Another form of egr

Overlap; An interesting thought...
    When building engines in the 70's and 80's overlap was a common spec when looking at
    aftermarket camshafts...

I didn't think with this engine that overlap would play a part... it's OK that it does... it seems to have great power with respect to it being a heavy vehicle...

I also intermittently get codes P0171 and P0174.

Went on a day trip last week, drove about 2.5 hours one way, on the return trip about 1/2 way home cruising at
    60+/- the check engine light comes on, I checked it while driving with my scan tool and it showed these two codes... upon resetting the cel (while driving) it was fine the remainder of the day and is fine now, days later... this has happened twice recently... in the past month...
    I'm thinking now it's possibly the intake manifold gasket ??? I read that there can be a problem with the original gaskets leaking... Having purchased the car used I don't have any service history...

Any thoughts ???

Thanks

Old Timer

----------

I still think at times it would benefit from a more aggressive timing advance curve...

----------

There is no mechanical advance options that I know of... no pre-sets... it's all by the pcm...

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    There is still egr valves on modern vehicles its just not on the engine like it used to be

It's listed in my gm service manual(not sure on the location)

Overlap; An interesting thought... When building engines in the 70's and 80's overlap was a common spec when looking at aftermarket camshafts... I didn't think with this engine that overlap would play a part... it's OK that it does... it seems to have great power with respect to it being a heavy vehicle... I also intermittently get codes P0171 and P0174. Went on a day trip last week, drove about 2.5 hours one way, on the return trip about 1/2 way home cruising at 60+/- the check engine light comes on, I checked it while driving with my scan tool and it showed these two codes... upon resetting the cel (while driving) it was fine the remainder of the day and is fine now, days later... this has happened twice recently... in the past month... I'm thinking now it's possibly the intake manifold gasket ??? I read that there can be a problem with the original gaskets leaking... Having purchased the car used I don't have any service history... Any thoughts ??? Thanks Old Timer ---------- I still think at times it would benefit from a more aggressive timing advance curve... ---------- There is no mechanical advance options that I know of... no pre-sets... it's all by the pcm...
    lean on both banks, yeah the intake gaskets are common but there are other factors as well like a faulty mass air flow sensor or a failing fuel pump, a proper diagnosis would need to be done, most likely involving a scanner

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder View Post
    some of it has to do with cam overlap, the exhaust and intake are at some point open together which allows exhaust back into the intake. Another form of egr
    Yup, my LT4 powered Corvette gets along the same way without an EGR valve, not necessary with enough overlap.

I'm headed for a fuel filter first, recently purchased the vehicle so I do not know how long it's been there...
    Code P0101 has shown up randomly then and then the next day the light will go off.. Checked the MAF sensor and it's clean, no lint or gunk stuck on there...
    As a matter of principal I'm going to replace the intake gaskets and both "knock sensors" while I'm in there... can't go wrong with that service.
    I have to say for a heavy vehicle it responds very well when asked to jump any crack in the pavement...

HAS ANYONE GONE THE ROUTE OF UPGRADING THE IGNITION COILS ? THERE ARE OPTIONS FOR MORE SPARK...
    I'M THINKING ABOUT GOING THAT WAY AS WELL... NEVER HURTS TO START A FIRE WITH A VERY HOT MATCH AS OPPOSED TO A MEDIUM WARM MATCH...

ANY THOUGHTS ?

----------

I BELIEVE MINE IS AN "LQ9" CAST BLOCK / ALUMINUM HEADS - 6.0l

I CAN'T HELP THINKING THIS ENGINE WOULD BLOW THE DOORS OFF SOME OF THE OLDER 60'S / 70'S SMALL BLOCK HOT RODS IF IT WERE APPLIED CORRECTLY...

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    I'm headed for a fuel filter first, recently purchased the vehicle so I do not know how long it's been there...
    There is NO fuel filter on a 2005.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy
    True it was dropped in 03 as mine doesn't have one my moms 02 has one

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy
    lol he's gonna be like shit, what DOES this thing have

Thus the name: Old Timer...

How does one get away without a fuel filter ? it has to have the "Sock" on the pickup in the tank... but no other filter ?

So... were does one go to think routine service is done on the fuel delivery system ? Pour the injector cleaner to it a couple times a year ?

No egr, no fuel filter... all this is OK with me... I never missed an egr valve anyway, thought they ran better without...

I'm just looking to make it run as good as it can with what it's got...

Thanks

The Old Timer...

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

You are correct, there is a sock on the pickup in the tank. For fuel system maintenance, the only thing is to use quality fuel, and a good fuel injector cleaner every few thousand miles. An injector cleaning that the dealer offers may help as well.

Skier-24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV, White Diamond Pearl

I also intermittently get codes P0171 and P0174.
    Clean the MAF sensor anyway. Looking clean might not be clean enough. My Expedition would have these codes. I cleaned the MAF sensor a a couple of times more after I thought it looked clean. Never had another problem with it. MAF sensor could also be faulty.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.