Check Engine Light ON..reads Code P0430!!!! What is this??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Check Engine Light ON..reads Code P0430!!!! What is this?? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I need some expertise here from the pro's... Ok so this morning I get the check engine light so I ...
    sosatyme72 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '03 Escalade ESV

Check Engine Light ON..reads Code P0430!!!! What is this??

I need some expertise here from the pro's...

Ok so this morning I get the check engine light so I take it Auto Zone so they can read the code and it came up as P0430,
    code reader says it came up twice.

The guy explained that this code is:
    Catalyst efficiency low-bank 2

Now my truck is a 2003 ESV with 116k miles and I just did a tune up with new plugs, wires, air mass sensor about 3 months ago...

What would I need to get this fixed? how pricey will this be?? thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade EXT

Re: Check Engine Light ON..reads Code P0430!!!! What is this??

Not sure but it looks like your catalytic converter may be on its last leg.

So there are 2 sides that we have in our truck left/side. How do we know which side is bad or do we replace both. Been lookign around and seems pricsy about 250-300 a side for direct fit.

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade EXT

Actually, $300 a piece sounds relatively cheap. Converters are an expensive part of your exhaust system. I don't know which side bank 2 would be. Hopefully one of the techs here will see this and give you some advice. Does your truck sound any different? It would be nice if the code was just thrown due to an exhaust leak. If it were mine, I would probably pay a pro to diagnose it and get a repair quote. That way you would know for sure. It is possible it could be something else, and you don't want to pay for new cats if you don't need them.

I have heard of them failing before 100K miles but that's pretty rare. My Subaru has the original exhaust on it (other than the muffler) and it's almost at 200K.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

One suggestion, check the post cat 02 sensor on the side giving you the code, maybe swap left and right post cat sensors to see if the code moves to the other side. GM swapped out a cat on my Corvette under warranty only to find out that it was the post 02 sensor that was flaky after the code returned.

One thing you mentioned is you replaced the MAF. Was the old one bad? It doesn't take long to ruin cats with a bad MAF sensor, so it might just be the cat if you did run around with a bad MAF.

yeah i guess i have to see from a tech and see what they say and hope it something minor. The truck sounds fine to me havent noticed anything out the ordinary as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
    Actually, $300 a piece sounds relatively cheap. Converters are an expensive part of your exhaust system. I don't know which side bank 2 would be. Hopefully one of the techs here will see this and give you some advice. Does your truck sound any different? It would be nice if the code was just thrown due to an exhaust leak. If it were mine, I would probably pay a pro to diagnose it and get a repair quote. That way you would know for sure. It is possible it could be something else, and you don't want to pay for new cats if you don't need them.

I have heard of them failing before 100K miles but that's pretty rare. My Subaru has the original exhaust on it (other than the muffler) and it's almost at 200K.

----------

is that something fairly easy I can do or do I have to put the car on lift? Yeah teh maf was bad so I had to replace it. I rode with it maybe a few weeks until I got it replaced but that was like 3 months ago and wasnt driving far just locally.

Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post
    One suggestion, check the post cat 02 sensor on the side giving you the code, maybe swap left and right post cat sensors to see if the code moves to the other side. GM swapped out a cat on my Corvette under warranty only to find out that it was the post 02 sensor that was flaky after the code returned.

One thing you mentioned is you replaced the MAF. Was the old one bad? It doesn't take long to ruin cats with a bad MAF sensor, so it might just be the cat if you did run around with a bad MAF.

kantgetnun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 escalade ext

My money will be on the cats. That's what mine was. Shortly after the code popped on mine It was down on power ran like crap. I threw a boroscope down the cats and they looked good but when I pulled them off all kinds of stuff started falling out. Put the new cats on and it ran like a dream.

did you have to replace both or just the 1 side? how much did it run u to fix?

Quote Originally Posted by kantgetnun View Post
    My money will be on the cats. That's what mine was. Shortly after the code popped on mine It was down on power ran like crap. I threw a boroscope down the cats and they looked good but when I pulled them off all kinds of stuff started falling out. Put the new cats on and it ran like a dream.

kantgetnun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 escalade ext

i ended up doing both sides. i found the magnaflow stainless direct replacements on auto zones website and they had a 20%cupon code going on. so i got them for 420-ish shipped and put them on myself

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by sosatyme72 View Post
    yeah i guess i have to see from a tech and see what they say and hope it something minor. The truck sounds fine to me havent noticed anything out the ordinary as of now.

----------

is that something fairly easy I can do or do I have to put the car on lift? Yeah teh maf was bad so I had to replace it. I rode with it maybe a few weeks until I got it replaced but that was like 3 months ago and wasnt driving far just locally.
    It would be easier on a lift or at least on some front ramps to give you some sliding room, just moving the O2 sensors side to side. But since you mentioned the bad MAF, I'd also suppose your cats are bad. It doesn't take long to ruin them as a bad MAF will likely cause the engine to dump gas, flooding the cats. I'll bet you had horrible gas mileage with that bad MAF. Last time I had that happen to me on my Camaro I went from 27 mpg down to 5-7 mpg, got it to the shop the same day both times but at only 12 miles away I burned more than 2 gallons of gas doing it, quite a lot to ask from the cats.

ok so I was going to bring it to shop this weekend but now check engine light came off...is this normal should it stay on until I get it fixed?? is it ok now, false alarm?lol

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sosatyme72
    ok so I was going to bring it to shop this weekend but now check engine light came off...is this normal should it stay on until I get it fixed?? is it ok now, false alarm?lol
    Get the codes pulled as now they are history codes but will still help figure out what caused the light to come on

ok but is the check engine light suppose to stay on or is it normal to go away?

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Get the codes pulled as now they are history codes but will still help figure out what caused the light to come on

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sosatyme72
    ok but is the check engine light suppose to stay on or is it normal to go away?
    If the issue is intermittent then yes it will go off but it may be best to still get the codes

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.