Cloudy Headlights?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Cloudy Headlights? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I'm new to the Cadillac world, Just picked up a 2005 ESV Platinum in White diamond (awesome rig!). I was ...
  1. #1
    tla11384 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8

    Cloudy Headlights?

    I'm new to the Cadillac world, Just picked up a 2005 ESV Platinum in White diamond (awesome rig!). I was looking at the headlights and notice that the top of both headlights have a slight haze to it? Are the lights made like that or is that due to the HID lights?

    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    flyingdutchman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    261

  4. #3
    jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sunny South Carolina
    Posts
    621

    Re: Cloudy Headlights?

    Try this thread as well, start at post #2 by shore, he dilutes the rubbing alcohol which is the way I do it as well, works great.

    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t-pulling.html

    *Note* if you do this during the winter months where you cannot leave the headlamp assembly outside in the sun for a few hours to dry out, I put ours over a heat register in the house overnight, then replace them back in the vehicle in the morning.

  5. #4
    tla11384 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8

    Re: Cloudy Headlights?

    Awesome Thanks

  6. #5
    Carvone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS 1SG & 10 STS 1SG
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Age
    52
    Posts
    187

    Re: Cloudy Headlights?

    I just used plain old water, swished it around and poured it out, been clear for 3 years now. Stick your wifes hair dryer in one of the holes on low heat for half hour or so and it will be all dry.

  7. #6
    jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sunny South Carolina
    Posts
    621

    Re: Cloudy Headlights?

    Wow 3 years, I have a hard time going 6 months before the little bit haze starts to bug me.

  8. #7
    Retrax's Avatar
    Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    234

    Re: Cloudy Headlights?

    I used 1/2 cup distilled water with 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol in each headlight. Distilled water won't leave water marks when it evaporates. I immediately switched to LED DRL's and now I have no more problems.

  9. #8
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,529
    I had this issue and after swapping the drl's to led no problems since

    I also changed the high beams to hid

  10. #9
    wake's Avatar
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    548

    Re: Cloudy Headlights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carvone View Post
    I just used plain old water, swished it around and poured it out, been clear for 3 years now. Stick your wifes hair dryer in one of the holes on low heat for half hour or so and it will be all dry.

    That's all I did on mine, worked like a charm.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv View Post
    Wow 3 years, I have a hard time going 6 months before the little bit haze starts to bug me.
    What kind of bulbs you using in your assemblies?

    I had some haze come back after a few months but I had crappy plastic bulbs in there for the markers, DRLs, etc. Swapped them to glass and no more hazing inside. I'm thinking the plastic must be cooking off and clouding up the headlight assemblies.

  11. #10
    jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sunny South Carolina
    Posts
    621

    Re: Cloudy Headlights?

    Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post

    What kind of bulbs you using in your assemblies?
    I am using what the manual calls for, I cannot member what the # is, but they are glass bulbs.

  12. #11
    wake's Avatar
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    548

    Re: Cloudy Headlights?

    Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv View Post
    I am using what the manual calls for, I cannot member what the # is, but they are glass bulbs.
    Ok, was curious since a lot of my original clear bulbs were actually plastic. I also ended up replacing the orange bulbs which were glass in my case with new orange colored glass bulbs. The paint had burned on the stockers and made me wonder if they contributed to the cloudiness.

  13. #12
    Carvone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS 1SG & 10 STS 1SG
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Age
    52
    Posts
    187

    Re: Cloudy Headlights?

    Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post
    Ok, was curious since a lot of my original clear bulbs were actually plastic. I also ended up replacing the orange bulbs which were glass in my case with new orange colored glass bulbs. The paint had burned on the stockers and made me wonder if they contributed to the cloudiness.
    Maybe that had something to do with mine staying clear for so long, I did this procedure when I first bought it and replaced all the bulbs with new while I was in there. The old bulbs were flaking off in my hands and the new ones were much brighter.

  14. #13
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Carvone
    Maybe that had something to do with mine staying clear for so long, I did this procedure when I first bought it and replaced all the bulbs with new while I was in there. The old bulbs were flaking off in my hands and the new ones were much brighter.
    Mine are doing that on the blinkers going to switch to LEDs and forget the whole worry

  15. #14
    tla11384 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8

    Re: Cloudy Headlights?

    i switched to LED bulbs and the work for about 30 min and both DRL cut out and stop working. I checked the bulbs with other connections, its not the bulbs, or any of the the DRL fuses. Any suggestions??? all other lights work fine.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Mine are doing that on the blinkers going to switch to LEDs and forget the whole worry
    did have to use resistors? I also installed led for the blinkers but they started hyper flashing.

  16. #15
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,529
    Quote Originally Posted by tla11384
    i switched to LED bulbs and the work for about 30 min and both DRL cut out and stop working. I checked the bulbs with other connections, its not the bulbs, or any of the the DRL fuses. Any suggestions??? all other lights work fine. ---------- did have to use resistors? I also installed led for the blinkers but they started hyper flashing.
    Sounds like the truck doesn't like the leds

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting